IGNORED

Steele’s kicking

Fordy62

Now... everyone is on Frankie’s back about his lack of quality distribution. It’s no secret that I think it’s unfair criticism. 

But watching Steele last night and against Wolves, there were flashes of concern for me that he isn’t very good at kicking.

I don’t mean the accuracy, I mean the regular occasions on which he doesn’t connect properly and he also struggles to get length on his kicks. 

Not a criticism as such, I think he’s a decent back up, but for me, his kicking isn’t up to scratch. 

That being said, I do appreciate it was blowing a gale last night at Villa. 

Anyone else thought similar?

Frankie is an easy target for people. He's a old school shot stopper who has worked really hard at his kicking game. Still a slight weakness but if he was a natural footballer and he could stop the ball he wouldn't be in goal for bcfc. 

Like Steele will bring added competition for Frankie, which he will thrive on. He's seen off a long list of rivals before and will again no doubt.

Frankie has got to be the model professinal football player?

I’ve seen all the cup rounds and Steele has played and kicked much better than last night. He looked more nervous against Villa than against ManU which doesn’t make sense, that said maybe the pressure was on for a result where as against ManU it wasn’t.

6 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’ve seen all the cup rounds and Steele has played and kicked much better than last night. He looked more nervous against Villa than against ManU which doesn’t make sense, that said maybe the pressure was on for a result where as against ManU it wasn’t.

perhaps he felt more exposed because of what was going on in front of him? 

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Now... everyone is on Frankie’s back about his lack of quality distribution. It’s no secret that I think it’s unfair criticism. 

But watching Steele last night and against Wolves, there were flashes of concern for me that he isn’t very good at kicking.

I don’t mean the accuracy, I mean the regular occasions on which he doesn’t connect properly and he also struggles to get length on his kicks. 

Not a criticism as such, I think he’s a decent back up, but for me, his kicking isn’t up to scratch. 

It was very windy last night and I thought , in spite of this , his kicking was OK. 

He didn't put too many straight out of play.

However, unluckily for him he had to pick the ball out of the net five times last night .

I think he is a good keeper .

1 hour ago, swanker said:

7 conceded in just under a game and a half without Frankie in goal.  

Our defence has turned from looking solid to a shambles. I'm not saying Steel could have saved any of those 7 but his positioning doesn't seem quite right on occasions, to be fair he hasn't played much recently. Also Frankie does a fair bit of organising through shouting at defenders, they seem to be missing that. If you look at the Wolves winner I think Baker didn't jump as he thought it was Steel's ball and didn't want to obstruct him but he didn't get there in time.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Our defence has turned from looking solid to a shambles. I'm not saying Steel could have saved any of those 7 but his positioning doesn't seem quite right on occasions, to be fair he hasn't played much recently. Also Frankie does a fair bit of organising through shouting at defenders, they seem to be missing that. If you look at the Wolves winner I think Baker didn't jump as he thought it was Steel's ball and didn't want to obstruct him but he didn't get there in time.

We’ve gone a bit gung-ho in the past few games and exposed ourselves.  We haven’t become a shambles.

LJ needs to just have a little check at what got us to where we are....442/4411, quick passing football.  I think he’s put Flint up top too early.  It’s worked v QPR and Wolves (to a lesser extent), but just like when Djúric plays we go direct too early.  I see the Flint option as a last 15 minute option.  He doesn’t have the movement, positional sense to allow us to play through him.  He does know how to get into goalscoring positions though.

Its fine lines, and I’m not criticising LJ...if Taylor doesn’t get in Flint’s way it’s 2-1 and we get an energy boost, and Villa’s fans will turn on them.

Last night was a one-off.

Following Man Utd, we all felt there would be a tail-off, as the players had been overplayed.  We took 4 points (1 v QPR, 3 v Reading) from the 4 games after the "Lord Mayors show".  Not disastrous.  Probably should’ve been 5 or even 7 with Wolves.   Had LJ rotated his pack, there was no guarantee we would’ve got any more or less points.  

Take the Watford game off, then gear the players (with a bit of rotation) for 2 games in 4 days. They can cope with that, knowing they’ve got 6 days to prepare for 2 games in 5 days.

Got to treat January in small blocks, coupled with the odd signing, hopefully we will be back on song.  I think only 3 league games in January is good news.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Why is it unfair? 70%(FA figure) of the goal keepers game is played with the feet. For a team that builds from the back distribution can be the primary function of the goalkeeper. Bristol City are a team that plays through the thirds necessitating players to start again to reposition offensively. If Keepers (both) distribution does not consistently keep possession, if the keepers lack the confidence in their ability to play high the shape and playing style of the team will suffer.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Bit hypocritical 

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Mannone and Ruddy both also shanked several kicks straight out.

Ruddy did that strange thing where he tried to get the ball to their man on the left wing who always chose to stand 5ft off the field of play.  Needless to say, the ball went out every time.

Must work at Wolves' training ground I suppose, but on our narrower pitch they looked very silly.

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ruddy did that strange thing where he tried to get the ball to their man on the left wing who always chose to stand 5ft off the field of play.  Needless to say, the ball went out every time.

Must work at Wolves' training ground I suppose, but on our narrower pitch they looked very silly.

Our pitch is one of the biggest in England. I assume at their gaff it goes straight into Row 8 every time

10 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

Need a new first team keeper. Both Frankie and Steele are good back ups. 

Can't agree I'm afraid. Frankie is a very good keeper and has dislodged enough replacements in his time here.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Its a quite logical approach. It can be argued that it is less damaging than going North and losing possession long. If it goes out on the full the team will have time to set up. If it drops short it is more damaging statistically than going North and long so keepers will put too much on it - Over hit is better than under hit. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Its a quite logical approach. It can be argued that it is less damaging than going North and losing possession long. If it goes out on the full the team will have time to set up. If it drops short it is more damaging statistically than going North and long so keepers will put too much on it - Over hit is better than under hit. 

I'm sure there was logic behind it, CS. Ruddy did it 4 times so it was obviously an established tactic.

Trouble is, he lost possession 4 times through it.

Not a great game for JR, a keeper I'd normally rate very highly.

59 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm sure there was logic behind it, CS. Ruddy did it 4 times so it was obviously an established tactic.

Trouble is, he lost possession 4 times through it.

Not a great game for JR, a keeper I'd normally rate very highly.

And if he had gone long ... Some keepers success is below 10%. It is however a simple pattern of play.

Interestingly Frank Fieldings distribution stats  v John Ruddies are very similar. Ruddy plays it slightly shorter.

Archived