IGNORED

Ashton - no pressure to sell

Judda

I don't think we will have too much of an issue keeping players in this transfer window due to potential Premiership action next season. My fear is who we might end up losing in the summer if we don't go up and how long it might take us to get into the same position again as experienced after the Hull play off loss.

Putting these sentences adjacent like this is such a sly dig from the club. Leko.

"We’ve got to bring the right characters in, the right humans, very good footballers but character is massively important now because the next league game is an important game."

Johnson has confirmed that winger Jonathan Leko had returned to his parent club West Brom. He said he "goes back with our best wishes".

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Putting these sentences adjacent like this is such a sly dig from the club. Leko.

"We’ve got to bring the right characters in, the right humans, very good footballers but character is massively important now because the next league game is an important game."

Johnson has confirmed that winger Jonathan Leko had returned to his parent club West Brom. He said he "goes back with our best wishes".

Reading far too much into that there, I think mate!  LJ said yesterday that Jonathan is a smashing lad and may return to us at the end of the window. 

This suggests you have a very cynical mind if you're reading that part of the article as being a dig from the club.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not at all.  Johnson even said that they might be able to get Leko back at the end of the month so there's definitely no hard feelings there.  It's just a case of a new manager at West Brom wanting to see his own players, particularly if they're not even getting much game time on loan.

23 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

I don't think we will have too much of an issue keeping players in this transfer window due to potential Premiership action next season. My fear is who we might end up losing in the summer if we don't go up and how long it might take us to get into the same position again as experienced after the Hull play off loss.

This. I see Jan as low risk for losing players due to our performance and how much money it would take to make us sell when we’re in the hunt for the autos. 

But summer will be a different story if we stay in this league. 

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Reading far too much into that there, I think mate!  LJ said yesterday that Jonathan is a smashing lad and may return to us at the end of the window. 

This suggests you have a very cynical mind if you're reading that part of the article as being a dig from the club.

I don't want to derail this into a Leko discussion thread but...I watched him closely at QPR and he showed very little application, anticipation or desire. Then I took my sister's boyfriend along to the Reading game and we were watching the warm up.  He leaned over and said "who's that lad?" I told him it was Leko and he replied "well he's a lazy one isn't he. I wouldn't want to warm up with him." From the warm-up. A guy who hasn't watched any of our matches (but does play amateur sport at a decent level) picked Leko out as being lazy.

Regarding a cynical mind - you've read me like a book there.

Back on topic, great to hear we don't have to sell.  Get out there Ashton, find a player with desire, talent, and good character and bring them in.

I would imagine the last two televised matches will relieve the pressure of incoming bids for our players....   :sad26:

Regarding Leko, it was WBA's decision to recall him, not ours to release him.  Pardew - correctly - believed Leko wasn't getting enough game time to develop. If we hadn't played Tammy consistently last season, the same could've happened there.  This is no reflection on Leko's character or application: he just isn't quite ready for Championship football yet.

Anyone tell me how many Championship players have been signed by PL teams in recent years?

I can think of Afobe at Bournemouth and Ali at Spurs.. really isn't a huge amount is it?

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Anyone tell me how many Championship players have been signed by PL teams in recent years?

I can think of Afobe at Bournemouth and Ali at Spurs.. really isn't a huge amount is it?

Mawson, Maguire and a bit of movement from promoted/relegated sides if you're counting that (presume not).

But you're correct its not many.

The easiest way for a Championship player to get into a Premier League side is to get promoted.

15 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Transfermarkt list them out. This link is to last year's winter window https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/wintertransfers/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?saison_id=2016&s_w=w&leihe=0&leihe=1&intern=0&intern=1

Norwich shifted Olsson to Swansea and Brady to Burnley. Villa also sold a couple. Other than that, not much last year.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Transfermarkt list them out. This link is to last year's winter window https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/wintertransfers/wettbewerb/GB2/plus/?saison_id=2016&s_w=w&leihe=0&leihe=1&intern=0&intern=1

Norwich shifted Olsson to Swansea and Brady to Burnley. Villa also sold a couple. Other than that, not much last year.

More likely a bigger championship club like villa or leeds then... or Birmingham!

:whistle:

Archived