IGNORED

Good News!

downendcity

Good news for much of the championship, that is.

The defeats against Wolves and Villa have properly put "little" Bristol City in their place against the big clubs of this division and will surely precipitate it's fall down the table to their rightful place in the championship pecking order.

That will leave the way clear for the great and good ( for which read ex premier clubs, clubs with prestigious histories, league, cup and european titles to their names) to contest promotion to the premier league - which is, after all where they rightly belong.

Well, this is what many supporters of clubs like Wolves, Villa and the like are probably thinking just now. They will as think that our luck his finally run out, because everyone knows that we only reached the lofty heights we did because of a never ending string of luck, favourable refereeing decisions and the like as Sheff Utd fans will evidence.

Everything we have achieved this season is despite us not being a big club, as we don't have such an illustrious history and masses of titles and cups to our name, and without the financial clout that comes from being an ex prem team or a big club with the financial resources that brings. What we are is a club on the up , with an owner who has planned the way in which we can compete, and to do so within our means, even if this means that, as now, our resources can be stretched almost to breaking point out on the pitch.

Let's hope that LJ can regroup the players, bring in reinforcements, get back to playing the way that got us to where we are and show the rest of the division that we absolutely deserve to be where we are.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good news for much of the championship, that is.

The defeats against Wolves and Villa have properly put "little" Bristol City in their place against the big clubs of this division and will surely precipitate it's fall down the table to their rightful place in the championship pecking order.

That will leave the way clear for the great and good ( for which read ex premier clubs, clubs with prestigious histories, league, cup and european titles to their names) to contest promotion to the premier league - which is, after all where they rightly belong.

Well, this is what many supporters of clubs like Wolves, Villa and the like are probably thinking just now. They will as think that our luck his finally run out, because everyone knows that we only reached the lofty heights we did because of a never ending string of luck, favourable refereeing decisions and the like as Sheff Utd fans will evidence.

Everything we have achieved this season is despite us not being a big club, as we don't have such an illustrious history and masses of titles and cups to our name, and without the financial clout that comes from being an ex prem team or a big club with the financial resources that brings. What we are is a club on the up , with an owner who has planned the way in which we can compete, and to do so within our means, even if this means that, as now, our resources can be stretched almost to breaking point out on the pitch.

Let's hope that LJ can regroup the players, bring in reinforcements, get back to playing the way that got us to where we are and show the rest of the division that we absolutely deserve to be where we are.

Absolutely this. 

Great post. I'm not really interested in what any club at this level who's ever received parachute payments thinks of us. The fact they are still at this level despite the large advantages and incentives they have been given, tells you all you need to know about their judgement and footballing standard. 

I far sooner value the opinion of Brentford, Preston, and other clubs who have to live within the same 'handicap' as us of never having taken those recurring Premiership handouts. Those two and us in particular are the only  clubs in the top half of the league this season, and we are by far the highest.

Who on earth cares what Villa think, they have spent more than half the clubs in this division put together and they are below us and wanted yet another manager out only a few weeks ago. You can tell that arrogance and inequality has got to LJ as well, with his fantastic comments at the end of his interview yesterday: let's just see where we all finish.

I went into work today. I live in Swindon. I always wear a city hat. I have worked there for 7 years. 

I had people who have never spoke to me before coming up to me and telling me we have been put in our place. 

I wanted to do the famous Kevin keegan speech. Bit my lip & walked away.

Arseholes 

4 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

I went into work today. I live in Swindon. I always wear a city hat. I have worked there for 7 years. 

I had people who have never spoke to me before coming up to me and telling me we have been put in our place. 

Arseholes 

Tell them to get it up them next time.

10 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

Arseholes 

I’ve lived in Old Town for 20 years since moving from Bishopsworth mate - I’m surprised we haven’t bumped into each other. I make no secret of my allegiance, but I have to say although I get the statutory p-take when we lose I haven’t experienced what you have. There must be lots of plastics where you work - the genuine Swindon Town supporters haven’t had much to cheer about lately!

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I expect all the entitled idiots were saying the same about Huddersfield after every game they lost last season too.

Especially those who said they’d lost all momentum by resting players going into the playoffs.

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve lived in Old Town for 20 years since moving from Bishopsworth mate - I’m surprised we haven’t bumped into each other. I make no secret of my allegiance, but I have to say although I get the statutory p-take when we lose I haven’t experienced what you have. There must be lots of plastics where you work - the genuine Swindon Town supporters haven’t had much to cheer about lately!

I don’t know who they support. They have never spoke to me before. To be fair the Swindon fans I know have given us a fair bit of praise. But I never take the piss. (Apart from I had years of we’ve never lost at Wembley. They haven’t won at the new Wembley. I did wait until they got beat by Preston though):P

Everyone I know here have been mostly complimentary to us - some albeit grudgingly. Even some of the Man U plastics I know were on FB after the cup game praising us. My Wolves fan mate who went to the game said we looked knackered and he was surprised that after the sending off we didn’t run them ragged. 

I was asked to comment on yesterday’s result, but tbh I expect that - I have been very happy to talk about City recently but I was quiet today :)

Do people really have that train of thought these days though? With the likes of Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Brighton,  Burnley , Swansea,  Watford etc giving it a good go in the Prem and who would all be classed as a 'smaller' club (you could argue we are bigger than all of them to be fair) i dont honestly believe any football fan with half a brain cell will be writing off or not taking Bristol City Fc seriously.

I think we have been given a fair bit of respect this season and actually i keep on hearing 'this is a club with everything in place now for the top flight' which is probably mainly in regards to the fantastic new stadium we now finally have... If people want to take the 'us against the world' kinda stance then fair enough but I genuinely think its a bit of a chip people have on there shoulders at this club because trust me i think there are many many people in football that would welcome Bristol City with open arms back to the top flight...

17 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Everyone I know here have been mostly complimentary to us - some albeit grudgingly. Even some of the Man U plastics I know were on FB after the cup game praising us. My Wolves fan mate who went to the game said we looked knackered and he was surprised that after the sending off we didn’t run them ragged. 

I was asked to comment on yesterday’s result, but tbh I expect that - I have been very happy to talk about City recently but I was quiet today :)

I have lived here for nearly 40 years. Mainly on the council estates. I had neighbors for 16 years that never spoke to us because we were from Bristol. 

A lot of them hate us with a passion. When younger me & my brother would go with so say mates to watch them play. They were having a frustrating game and decided we weren’t welcome anymore & kicked the crap out of both of us. (3 days in hospital for me) I despise 90 % of there fans. 

I now live less than 2 mins from the county ground 

12 minutes ago, City exile 79 said:

I have lived here for nearly 40 years. Mainly on the council estates. I had neighbors for 16 years that never spoke to us because we were from Bristol. 

A lot of them hate us with a passion. When younger me & my brother would go with so say mates to watch them play. They were having a frustrating game and decided we weren’t welcome anymore & kicked the crap out of both of us. (3 days in hospital for me) I despise 90 % of there fans. 

I now live less than 2 mins from the county ground 

What lovely people. No wonder you don't like them. Well done for keeping the faith mate. I live in London and no-one has heard of us, or cares. They will do soon. CTID. Our time is coming.

1 hour ago, City exile 79 said:

Arseholes 

Hope they're still looking after that League One trophy......oh, hang on...

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only City fan living in Swindle.

In the main I don’t have a problem but there’s the ‘odd’ one...

A prompt reminder of VAT avoidance, under declaring crowd numbers, not paying the Tax man, and De Canio breaking into the trophy room and not finding anything does tend to keep a few of them quiet

its always nice to stop for fuel on a Saturday on my way to the Gate wearing my City Shirt to gauge the reactions

What I find really weird - although I guess I shouldn't - is the number of Rovers supporters on my Facebook feed who were laughing and mocking the club after the last two games.

Of course, I get it when people enjoy their rivals doing badly but we've got two bad results in a bloody brilliant season, are in a League Cup semi-final and are sitting within one point of an automatic promotion place. A last-minute defeat hurts, and a 5-0 defeat hurts, but in a wider context I don't give a damn about either result. We know why they happened, we know they're not reflective of our season and I think most of us are optimistic that we will keep it together and not let a bad weekend derail our season. If the last two results are the price to pay for our brilliant performances so far this season then I'll willingly handover my credit card. 

By way of contrast, I no longer check Rovers results. We've not been in the same division of them for almost twenty years and, much as I'm sure this won't go down well with some other posters, I find it hard to think of them as rivals and even sort of wish them well as I simply don't see them as a threat to us. To my mind, Cardiff are now our biggest rivals, followed by Swindon 'cos of the 2014/2015 season. As far as I am concerned, Rovers are simply another West country football team. 

Great post!

In all fairness, i'm only seeing baaahdiff, leeds and villa fans gloating about our sudden misfortune. 

Everyone else is complementary towards us on our style of play etc throughout the season so far.

Some rovers fans on my facebook disappeared  from the start of the season and only came back after their rare win and our rare loss aginst villa. Was quite amusing but they gone into hiding again when you mention 17 years and the gap. :yawn:

3 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

They think we're down an out....

but we still have a sting in our tail.

If we bring in the right players to bolster our squad we can still surprise the know-it-alls from the "big clubs" and get promoted automatically or via the play-offs.

Mostly though when the 10 players we have get fit we would only need good back up players!!

56 minutes ago, Eastred said:

I’m glad to see I’m not the only City fan living in Swindle.

In the main I don’t have a problem but there’s the ‘odd’ one...

A prompt reminder of VAT avoidance, under declaring crowd numbers, not paying the Tax man, and De Canio breaking into the trophy room and not finding anything does tend to keep a few of them quiet

its always nice to stop for fuel on a Saturday on my way to the Gate wearing my City Shirt to gauge the reactions

Ha!

it seems there are a few of us here in Swindle then - I tend to watch most televised City games in the Merlin, when not attending them myself of course!

Sorry to hear about your experience City Exile 79    I am pleased to say I have never ever experienced anything like that - but I did nearly poo myself in the corner right next to a very hostile Town End watching a Swindle vs City local derby praying nobody would recognise me and ‘out’ me as a City fan  

nobody did  (out me that is - several people recognised me but only said hello)

Anyway, as long as the lads can recover their energy we should be ok - you don’t become crap overnight. 

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I expect all the entitled idiots were saying the same about Huddersfield after every game they lost last season too.

Imagine if Huddersfield had lost by, say, 4-0 away to a relegation threatened team, live on Sky. Their season must have been over. I do wonder what happened to them. :D

One of the worst effects of the Prem is that impressionable fans at clubs like Villa act as if all that parachute money has dropped into their own pockets & they can then lord  it over poverty-stricken fans like those of Bristol City, when they stuff us. The Gas would be the same but all they have is their enormous away following & the fact that, though they are indeed poverty-stricken, they are unique & therefore the best-loved club in the whole world.

Archived