IGNORED

Ball Playing Midfielder

RT's Vaseline Tub

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maddison from Norwich? Has some great stats this season and tops the whoscored.com charts for passing.

If we want to pay through the nose for him! I reckon they wouldn't let him go for under 8M (probably more) could do a job lot and get him an pritchard at the same time though! :)

43 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

Well we’re not going to spend big in January and Nobes was a cheap but a pretty decent signing in the end.

I am pretty sure we are going to end up spending big. Graham Carey isn't of the required quality and a frankly random suggestion. He's the sort of player that might've been good when we were in L1 or first season in this league and at 28 doesn't fit the usual age profile either.

To question our capability of spending big in this window is frankly odd ?

SL broke our transfer record in the summer for fammy £5.3million, that was pretty left field so to say he won't do the same again with the added info that we are 3rd and in a cup semi final ?

Not quite sure graham Carey fits the bill !!

9 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

If we want to pay through the nose for him! I reckon they wouldn't let him go for under 8M (probably more) could do a job lot and get him an pritchard at the same time though! :)

Jesus I read this and thought you meant £8million for graham Carey ! 

16 minutes ago, Spoons said:

SL broke our transfer record in the summer for fammy £5.3million, that was pretty left field so to say he won't do the same again with the added info that we are 3rd and in a cup semi final ?

errrrr.........whos gonna tell him

45 minutes ago, RT's Vaseline Tub said:

As we need someone in the middle for the killer measured pass a la Noble who LJ rated as the best he’d played with bar his lifestyle I propose Graham Carey at Argyle as quite similar in terms of age & ability and the fee too would be relatively ok. Any thoughts on who’d fit the bill?

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I am pretty sure we are going to end up spending big. Graham Carey isn't of the required quality and a frankly random suggestion.

Not quite random, I too had a quick scout around his profile on Transfermarkt last night as I wondered if he could be a fit.  Similar type of player to Hourihane, who co-incidentally came from Plymouth before going to Barnsley.

Got a lovely left peg, and if LJ is looking at non-wingers to occupy the wide positions he could be an option / bit of a punt.

He’s been a big part of Plymouth’s revival, chipping in 7 goals in all comps.  They looked like going straight back down in the early weeks.

Not saying he is good enough to improve us, but I think we are too hasty to write off a player some of our posters have never seen play in the flesh, on tv, or even took the time to look up on Wikipedia!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not quite random, I too had a quick scout around his profile on Transfermarkt last night as I wondered if he could be a fit.  Similar type of player to Hourihane, who co-incidentally came from Plymouth before going to Barnsley.

Got a lovely left peg, and if LJ is looking at non-wingers to occupy the wide positions he could be an option / bit of a punt.

He’s been a big part of Plymouth’s revival, chipping in 7 goals in all comps.  They looked like going straight back down in the early weeks.

Not saying he is good enough to improve us, but I think we are too hasty to write off a player some of our posters have never seen play in the flesh, on tv, or even took the time to look up on Wikipedia!

I've seen him a few times and I like him as a player. I added to my post above to say that I think he could've been a really good signing a couple of years back. I think we've moved on in quality now.

What I meant by random suggestion was really in comparison to the other names being mentioned! Not necessarily a 'bad' suggestion. I had wondered why he has remained at Plymouth because in my opinion he has the quality to play at the lower level of this league or at a club who get the best out of cheaper players.. Preston perhaps.

I think our aspirations of the premier league mean we'll either bring in players that we are 100% sure can improve us from day 1, or talented youngsters who we believe we can nurture. I don't think Carey fits that really.

39 minutes ago, Spoons said:

We were bidding £8m + for players 2 seasons ago so what has changed aside from us having a stronger more capable young group of players?

Opportunity knocks and we are in a great position to get promoted and a potential £150m income

If SL is happy with the due diligence done by the coaching team and player analysis then would it not be a surprise for us to spend a significant amount in this window because he not only can but needs to so that LJ is given every opportunity to get us in the top two minimum

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Would be.a great signing 

But costly even 8f Norwich considered selling

An think he may have his sights set higher than us unfortunately 

Yeh I guess he is Norwich's jewel. But, as has been mentioned in other threads - the big transfers in the Championship in January tend to be teams high up the table taking the star players from those lower down.

Luke Freeman anyone? :laughcont:

I’m not so sure we need a Bannan / Tomlin type creator

I Think part of the problem last season (Till the porky got dropped) was consistently giving Tomlin the ball to try his tricks and satisfy his ego

For me we play at our best and are scintillating when we pass and move and I’m not sure a  ball wanting midfield ball player would be what we want - think we’d be better looking for somebody who likes to pay pass and move who fits into our main ethos 

For that reason Ryan Woods would still be very high on my wish list 

Add a sharp finisher to this (fully fit)  squad and another midfielder and this squad wouldn’t be far off next season

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m not so sure we need a Bannan / Tomlin type creator

I Think part of the problem last season (Till the porky got dropped) was consistently giving Tomlin the ball to try his tricks and satisfy his ego

For me we play at our best and are scintillating when we pass and move and I’m not sure a  ball wanting midfield ball player would be what we want - think we’d be better looking for somebody who likes to pay pass and move who fits into our main ethos 

Add a sharp finisher to this (fully fit)  squad and another midfielder and this squad wouldn’t be far off next season

I still think Daniel Johnson would suit us down to the ground. Exactly what we need.

Ryan Woods is a good shout too. Operated at right back for Shrewsbury for a long time. Shame he's ginger though.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Ryan Woods is a good shout too.

One of my favourite players to watch in this league.  Although as with Maddison he would be very difficult to pry from his current club.

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I still think Daniel Johnson would suit us down to the ground. Exactly what we need.

Ryan Woods is a good shout too. Operated at right back for Shrewsbury for a long time. Shame he's ginger though.

Mark Ashton knows of a very good hair dye product :thumbsup:

Woods would look good in the lime and purple kit :me?:

I think this midfield purchase is one of the most important buys for the club in 10 years or so.

We are so close to the promised land and the right player(s) in could just make the difference for us.

There are clearly many types of midfielders so do we go for an out and out skilful creator and playmaker or do we go for a taller, mobile, solid defensive type or do we go for one of each or do we go for one player who can do all of that ( they must be rare!). 

It's a tough one for Lee etc and I pray they will make the right.

Archived