IGNORED

The Etihad, a few Tips and Advice

Alanthemanc

Hiya...... Alan.....Man City fan here,   Seeing as it's your first visit ( or I think it is ), I i'd give a few bits of advice.  Iv'e done this for quite a few teams, including Glasgow Rangers, which was a bit of an experience in itself, so I'l start off with a few basic do's and dont's. 

1.. Get there early as you can, usual horrendous traffic, full body searches,  can lead to big queues outside 

2.. Parking ... unless it's unavoidable, avoid the official car parks, .... expensive and you will have an hours wait to get out.  Try the unofficial ones you will see as you get about 1/2 a mile from the ground.  Under no circumstances park on the streets around there, as you will get towed away £ 300 to get it back

3...Pubs,... wouldn't advise any boozing  near the ground,  if you want a drink, most away fans go in the ground or the Northern Quarter....... Great Chippy alongside the Mary D's pub  behind the South Stand.

4.. The Tram...... might be useful before the game, although will be packed if you leave it late...... £ 1 .50  ( I think ).... 10 mins from Piccadilly............after the game gig queues, so you might be better getting the bus from behind the South Stand....... you will see them lined up,  same price.  .... If it's good weather, lots of fans, home and away walk to the City centre down the hill, as sometimes with the traffic, it's just as quick. (  20 mins or so )

5.. Food and drink in the ground is reasonable, but very expensive 

6.. South Stand tier 3 is very, very high. 

7.. Stewards are generally  ok as long as you don't overdo it a bit and get silly.

8 Programme is   about average. id give it  7/10.  maybe less#

9..  Depending on the mood of the police commander for the match, you may  be locked in for 10 mins or so after......... depends how he feels I think.

10... Coach park is 40 yards or so from the South Stand.

can        Okoidoke..... anything else, I will have a gander on here between now and the game,  ( wiil be at the Watford game tonight)  so I will try and answer any other stuff, if I can           

21 minutes ago, Alanthemanc said:

Hiya...... Alan.....Man City fan here,   Seeing as it's your first visit ( or I think it is ), I i'd give a few bits of advice.  Iv'e done this for quite a few teams, including Glasgow Rangers, which was a bit of an experience in itself, so I'l start off with a few basic do's and dont's. 

1.. Get there early as you can, usual horrendous traffic, full body searches,  can lead to big queues outside 

2.. Parking ... unless it's unavoidable, avoid the official car parks, .... expensive and you will have an hours wait to get out.  Try the unofficial ones you will see as you get about 1/2 a mile from the ground.  Under no circumstances park on the streets around there, as you will get towed away £ 300 to get it back

3...Pubs,... wouldn't advise any boozing  near the ground,  if you want a drink, most away fans go in the ground or the Northern Quarter....... Great Chippy alongside the Mary D's pub  behind the South Stand.

4.. The Tram...... might be useful before the game, although will be packed if you leave it late...... £ 1 .50  ( I think ).... 10 mins from Piccadilly............after the game gig queues, so you might be better getting the bus from behind the South Stand....... you will see them lined up,  same price.  .... If it's good weather, lots of fans, home and away walk to the City centre down the hill, as sometimes with the traffic, it's just as quick. (  20 mins or so )

5.. Food and drink in the ground is reasonable, but very expensive 

6.. South Stand tier 3 is very, very high. 

7.. Stewards are generally  ok as long as you don't overdo it a bit and get silly.

8 Programme is   about average. id give it  7/10.  maybe less#

9..  Depending on the mood of the police commander for the match, you may  be locked in for 10 mins or so after......... depends how he feels I think.

10... Coach park is 40 yards or so from the South Stand.

can        Okoidoke..... anything else, I will have a gander on here between now and the game,  ( wiil be at the Watford game tonight)  so I will try and answer any other stuff, if I can           

Thanks for this.

Two things:

1. Any idea if rucksacks allowed in? I think they're completed banned at Old Trafford. Obviously a lot of away fans travelling from afar and may have a bit of crap on them. I always bring food with me to aways!

2. Is Tier 3 higher than the stand for away fans at Newcastle?

Ta.

I wouldn't bring a Rucksack ( on your own judgement ,   it will 100% be searched,  just act dumb and say you didn't know etc )   After the Arena bomb , security has gone up 2 fold.

Tier 3 is not quite as high as Newcastle............ but it aint far off either at the back 10 rows.

Cheese..........fooked if I know........ worth ringing the club up if you can. The main entrance is a no no or around the ground..... security all over the place.  Believe me, iv'e tried to get in a disabled place 3 times this year and been told no..... you should have rung up in advance.  Its all getting very strict these days unfortunately.

YES.........  The nearest ones Ito the ground are on Grey Mare Lane, form the Belle Vue  / Hyde rd ......................... There is a school car park open, and there is another one next to the Townley Pub, ( 1/4 of a mile from ground) if you coming from the junction South Side.  The Police have started to make people park a fair way from the ground this year.  I heard a good motorway junction away fans are using is Ashton / Droylesden   M60.   if anyone's coming from that direction............................leave plenty of time, the traffic is terrible late on.

Having been for the first time for one of the England RWC games, have to say it's an impressive stadium, looking forward to seeing it with loads of Reds in it, in the concourses below and stands above!

Definitely parking away from the ground, lots of little places dotted around charging £10 a car, might have gone up since then but easy enough walk to the ground and you can see some of the investment and infrastructure put in by the owners.

Thanks for the info @Alanthemanc

1 hour ago, Alanthemanc said:

Thanks @Alanthemanc - great info.

The only game I've seen Manchester City at home was at Maine Road when I went along with a Watford supporting friend (I lived in Manchester).  It absolutely chucked down and all 40 or so of us diehard Watford fans huddled against a tall wall to escape the rain.  I've kept a watching brief on Watford ever since...so, normally I'd want them to win tonight.  However, this time, I want a 4-4 draw with 3 (not serious) injuries each and a mass brawl at the end resulting in 3 sendings off each and 10 minutes extra time.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I went to the Etihad for a gig about 18 months ago. I have a horrible recollection your cider choice (draught) was Wrongbow or Wrongbow dark fruit...

Oh dear. Oh dear no that won't do. Oh no. Oh God. Cider for teenagers from Kent.

Full scale riots if theres no Wilkins Farmhouse imo.

Archived