IGNORED

Highlights - brief analysis of Villa

hoxton casual

Albert Adomah looked great. And Hogan is what a real striker looks like. Grealish looks like he may be back to his best and Snodgrass is amazing for his work rate and his sniffing out where the ball will be. I know they have spent a lot of money, but with Kodjia returning and their other injured players returning, it looked like they will be there or there abouts. Was it the same for anyone who was there? Were we just so knackered we made them look good? We need a real striker, as Hogan seemed to make his goals out of very little. I think we have a better coach and therefore a better team, but they do appear to have some real quality.

Hoxton; what i really like about your questions is the small sentence 'any anyone who was there'. 

If i made New Year wishes (which i dont) i would like more OP s to ask this to cut down the crap on the forum written about a game they havent seen. I was there, Lj called it spot on in his post match interview which is rare for any manager who's team have been dumped 5-0. I wrote to the club after Preston and asked they consult the players (not the club) about refunding their fans, of which i was one, who attended Deepdale. Last night, no such similar request; we were good for the first 22 mins, very good. Their first goal deflated us like it hasnt all season and the effort required to win our midfield game was gone. 2-0 and i feared the worse but yet again Lj 'went for it' at HT by pushing Flint up. Sadly he and Taylor (who wont start as a 1st choice striker in a million years) stuffed up the chance to get back to 2-1.I can barely watch the highlights as it was a toal shambles and a 'Tomlin- G'OD moment' when our season could change. After that we chased the game and left acres. I reckon Grealish ran from just outside his pen area to ours unchallenged, so... the legs had gone. Not surprising really and a long rest before Etihad and the more important Norwich games. Norwich may have a new manager and we have to not lose that otherwise a relatively easy home game v QPR could be played with 6 or 7 straight defeats behind the boys.

Baker had a mare, and Lj was right to take off Pack and Hodor for such poor first halves. The spirit will still be there and better to lose 5-0 and get back to winning ways than to go on another LJ long run of x defeats by the odd goal as we did 12 months ago. Kids at Watford, shop window at Manchester and hope to sell out in the return. More importantly 5-7 points from the run of Norwich, Derby, QPR run please.

CoYRs

We started brightly and looked threatening. The first goal really deflated us and gave Villa a real boost. It was the first time they had come forward with any promise. Second goal no one reacted after Steeles initial save. All stood flat footed. This could be due to mental fatigue. After that we were lucky to go in at half time at 2-0. 

Second half. I think LJ got his tactics wrong and realised this after the game. I don't mind the idea behind the Flint tactic, as I remember the Hull game when the game changed when Duric came on, held the ball up and brought others in to play. Taking Pack off left a massive gap behind our forward players. This is where Villa won the ball to break and score the 3rd and 4th goals. If Bobby Reid was supposed to have dropped back deeper in midfield to cover, he didn't and reminded why he shouldn't be deployed in midfield. So many second balls were picked up by Villa uncontested. It was the sort of game where we desperately needed Fammy or Duric. Flint put himself about, but I think we went for complete desperation too early.

I don't think it was as shambolic as 5-0 sometime suggests. We just took big risks in the second half and got punished. 

Lets not forget they have real quality (and spent £76 million last season!)

I watched the highlights earlier too.  Looked like we were just off of it, in the wrong places, unfortunately.  Players not quite able to make it to slightly misplaced (tired) passes, and Villa breaking on us.

I don’t like using the word tired, it seems too easy an excuse, but remember (back in the day), playing fixture catch-up...resulting in Tues, Thursday, Sat for a few weeks.  We even played on a Sunday (after the Saturday) one of the week’s!  We ended up going through the motions, so I do understand that it can happen.

Yesterday it was the inability to push themselves to get back in the game.  I think in this case tired is perfectly acceptable.  Was it worth the 4 points from 4 league games, not forgetting the win v Man Utd that preceded that run.  Would we have got as many or less had LJ mixed it up a bit.  No idea?

48 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Is Baker fully fit, thought he was doubtful for the Wolves game after a knock?

Regarding Hogan being a 'real striker' wasn't that the first time he's scored this season, ie not a patch on Bobby R?

I’ve rated Hogan when I’ve seen him but the Villa forum recently suggests they don’t rate him at all. It’s probably started to change now.

5 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Hoxton; what i really like about your questions is the small sentence 'any anyone who was there'. 

If i made New Year wishes (which i dont) i would like more OP s to ask this to cut down the crap on the forum written about a game they havent seen. I was there, Lj called it spot on in his post match interview which is rare for any manager who's team have been dumped 5-0. I wrote to the club after Preston and asked they consult the players (not the club) about refunding their fans, of which i was one, who attended Deepdale. Last night, no such similar request; we were good for the first 22 mins, very good. Their first goal deflated us like it hasnt all season and the effort required to win our midfield game was gone. 2-0 and i feared the worse but yet again Lj 'went for it' at HT by pushing Flint up. Sadly he and Taylor (who wont start as a 1st choice striker in a million years) stuffed up the chance to get back to 2-1.I can barely watch the highlights as it was a toal shambles and a 'Tomlin- G'OD moment' when our season could change. After that we chased the game and left acres. I reckon Grealish ran from just outside his pen area to ours unchallenged, so... the legs had gone. Not surprising really and a long rest before Etihad and the more important Norwich games. Norwich may have a new manager and we have to not lose that otherwise a relatively easy home game v QPR could be played with 6 or 7 straight defeats behind the boys.

Baker had a mare, and Lj was right to take off Pack and Hodor for such poor first halves. The spirit will still be there and better to lose 5-0 and get back to winning ways than to go on another LJ long run of x defeats by the odd goal as we did 12 months ago. Kids at Watford, shop window at Manchester and hope to sell out in the return. More importantly 5-7 points from the run of Norwich, Derby, QPR run please.

CoYRs

What's a Tomlin-G'OD moment, and what does shop window mean?

3 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Tomlin missing a penalty and Gary O’Neil being sent off from the resulting rebound?

Shop window “on display for all to see”

I don't get why the Man City game would be shop window, though. We need to do everything we can to keep our players, not try and sell them off.

59 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I don't get why the Man City game would be shop window, though. We need to do everything we can to keep our players, not try and sell them off.

It is a 'shop window' intentionally or not, like it or not. It is a big game in the season, a Semi final of a major competition against an all conquering ManCiteh side. It has a national audience (twice) and if anyone doesn't know about Flint,Joe,Bobby etc they might after the two games.
Flip side Flint has a poor couple of games and people lose interest, hope not though (poor games that is).

14 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’ve rated Hogan when I’ve seen him but the Villa forum recently suggests they don’t rate him at all. It’s probably started to change now.

Hogan scored against us for Brentford and now 2 for Villa. The way he lost his marker and guided those headers. Real class.

Archived