IGNORED

Man. City Vs Bristol City : Anthony Taylor is the ref / Video Assistant Referee (Merged)

reddevon

Not seen it mentioned anywhere but above will be used in our Semi with Manchester next week. I heard on Sky yesterday that it won't be used in the home leg as we don't have the required facilities.  What are we missing at ghe Gate? ( came to mind as just witnessed an offside Spurs goal!)

12 minutes ago, chowie said:

I thought it would not be used in either of our games as the 2nd leg can’t host it? 

This announcement from the EFL certainly suggests it's all or nothing...

"Both legs of the Semi-Final tie between Arsenal and Chelsea will, for the first time in EFL competition, involve the use of video assistant referees (VAR) alongside the Final at Wembley on Sunday 25th February after the League committed to support English football’s contribution to the live trial currently taking place across world football."

https://www.efl.com/news/2017/december/tv-ties-confirmed-for-carabao-cup-semi-finals/

Totally opposed to VAR (and all technology at football matches). We can get rid of 4th officials, the ‘technical area’  and their crappy little board too. The last thing I want is stoppage for reviews of this and that, the like of which is used in sterile American sport such as Wimpball (otherwise referred to as American Football). To ensure Sky can have a commercial break we’ll be having a 2 minute warning of half-time next. 

International and Champions League referee.

Last officiated one of our games in 2013 under S'OD when we lost 3-2 at Swindon (Nile Ranger last minute winner) - also only League One game he has reffed in past 5 years.

Prior to that did a few Championship games under Gary Johnson - 1-1 at Forest in 2009 (Danny Haynes last minute equaliser), home to Ipswich 1-1 earlier that year (gave them a last minute penalty), and also late in our Play Off Final season, 2-1 at Colchester when we went top of the Championship (sent off Bradley Orr for second yellow at the end).

4 minutes ago, dihajh said:

Apparently AG doesn't have the resources for it.

(What they are I don't know:blink:)

What resources are required? Surely we just need a bloke with a walkie-talkie under the West Stand giving our goals and ruling out theirs? Sit him by a microwave if it looks more realistic.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The game is at the Etihad though? Or can you only use it if you can do it in both legs? Odd. 

Needs to be used in both legs.

it's Odd.. but we're talking about the FA.

EDIT :

Found this link

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11938/11180100/efl-selects-arsenal-v-chelsea-carabao-cup-semi-final-for-video-assistant-referee-trial

Doesnt explain much though.

My guess would be all top flight matches have a huge amount of cameras covering every possible anfor on a permanent basis thanks to the TV coverage. We had plenty of cameras for the United game but as they aren't fixed it's probably a ball ache to sort out the VAR and make it accurate.

Goal line/Hawkeye is a completely different and independent system which needs no human involvement apart from the ref acknowledging his "watch". 

What I find concerning is the fact we don't have a huge amount of officials in this country let alone high standard ones yet we are heading to a situation of 6 officials per match, in Europe with the pointless assistant referees on the goal line you are looking at 8!

Bit strange to have it for one of the semi's but not the other. Can see there being a bit of upset if the Chelsea/Arsenal match has game changing decisions made by the VAR and something important is missed in ours that is pivotal to the result.  

14 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Tbf, I thought we had Hawkeye or Goal Line Tech or whatever its called...

Surely that's what the VAR ref watches anyway??

@AdamB @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can you confirm if we have VAR suitable tech please?

VAR is to help make correct decisions RE fouls, card so etc. It's being used in the Bundesliga. Usually the ref will make a decision and the VAR will check the footage and advise the ref who can then watch the footage again on the side line, or in some instances the ref won't give something and the VAR will review it when the ball is out of play and tell the ref. Think it's basically like rugby 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Bit strange to have it for one of the semi's but not the other. Can see there being a bit of upset if the Chelsea/Arsenal match has game changing decisions made by the VAR and something important is missed in ours that is pivotal to the result.  

I see your point, but I am assuming that the FA (and everyone else) expects it to be a fairly comfortable Man City win ( maybe different on a one leg game ) whereas the London Derby of two closely matched teams should be a lot closer.

As per title, thought the game was hard enough, but to give them a local homer??, even if he supports united he will be pissed off with us

Anthony Taylor (born 20 October 1978) is an English professional football referee from Wythenshawe, Manchester. In 2010, he was promoted to the list of Select Group Referees who officiate primarily in the Premier League

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

As per title, thought the game was hard enough, but to give them a local homer??, even if he supports united he will be pissed off with us

Anthony Taylor (born 20 October 1978) is an English professional football referee from Wythenshawe, Manchester. In 2010, he was promoted to the list of Select Group Referees who officiate primarily in the Premier League

probably a stockport county fan.....either that or a wind up

Archived