IGNORED

Away game allocated seat etiquette

LondonBristolian

I've been meaning to post this for a while and the Man City thread has prompted me.

Given as I live in London, am not really in touch with schoolfriends from Bristol and don't know many City fans in real life, I tend to go to away games on my own. I'm quite happy doing this and actually quite enjoy it but a few times recently I've arrived at games and found that I've got a ticket with an allocated seat but someone else is sitting in my seat.

In all honestly, I'm not particularly arsed on whether I'm in my allocated seat or not but I am aware that, if I sit somewhere else, then someone could turn up at any moment and ask me to move as I am in their seat, which they'd be well within their rights to do. 

In all my times attending games, I've never really been sure of the etiquette here - is the assumption that people sit in the seat their allocated or is it actually a free for all and I don't realise? At the moment I never ask people to move from my seat but am always willing to move from other people's seats and I sort of feel like I have the worst of all worlds...

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I am much the same.  There is no way I can stand for long periods but have a horrible feeling my seat is up at the back.  I think I may have a problem.

I really wish they would give people choices. I'm disabled but actually absolutely fine standing for 90 minutes but I totally get that some people cannot do that. I remember at Fulham last season everyone was standing and there was a poor chap who had been seated at the back desperately asking people to sit down but, of course, the people in front could not see unless the people in front of them sat down and so forth...

I know the problem is clubs cannot officially acknowledge people will stand during a game but I wish there was a box people could tick if you had a specific seating need so that could be met. For me, the ideal thing is being on aisle due to how bad my bladder is... I usually manage to stay in situ for a 45 minute half but there are never guarantees...

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

If someone asks you to move, then move and tell the bugger in your seat to shift their hairy 'rse :P.

Ran out of likes for the day but you'd definitely get one otherwise. I think this is basically the strategy I go for. So far I've never actually been moved. The weirdest one was Brighton back in May when I'd been allocated a seat that didn't actually exist! (I mean technically it did exist but it had been blocked off to create a barrier between us and the Brighton fans prematurely celebrating their league title...)

2 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

This is my personal opinion but where it is a large sell out like this then people should sit in allocated seats. It is not fair on people who have bought tickets to then not be sat together.

I agree with that. I think the problem to me generally with most games is it is absolutely fine if everyone sits in allocated seats and it is absolutely fine when everyone knows they can sit were they like but when it is just some people ignoring the allocated seating then it causes unnecessary problems for everyone else...

1 minute ago, Busterrimes said:

This is my personal opinion but where it is a large sell out like this then people should sit in allocated seats. It is not fair on people who have bought tickets to then not be sat together.

Agreed. Somewhere like Man City where its sold out, chances are you may have to sit in allocated seats. Sunderland away - maybe not so worried because of the number of seats empty.

I'll be heading for my seat as I normally do, if it is taken I get as close to it as possible. That way if I'm asked to move then I can claim my seat without moving. If the person in my seat refuses to move then I'm not the moron in this situation and can justify staying put.

However. Stand at the back, sit at the front should be the norm.

8 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'll be heading for my seat as I normally do, if it is taken I get as close to it as possible. That way if I'm asked to move then I can claim my seat without moving. If the person in my seat refuses to move then I'm not the moron in this situation and can justify staying put.

However. Stand at the back, sit at the front should be the norm.

This.. just get to as near as you can to your seat, why can other clubs seemingly do it fine yet this always crops up up with our club.

Every away end should be unreserved. Would save so much hassle. 

Everyone would also stay in their allocated seat if it was the norm for all our fans to stand up. But because it's not, the standing fans move towards the back so they're not blocking people's view. 

Sitting down at the football is a really uncomfortable feeling for me, and I expect the other 2000 odd fans who stand each game feel the same way. 

Can also depend on how stringent the stewarding can be. I can remember at Fulham all kinds of hassle at half time where they were blocking people on the stairwells from coming back up demanding to see tickets. Some people had left their tickets with their mates who were already back in the stands. 

Depending on what time I get there and whether I’m on my own or with a group I tend to make my way to my seat for less potential hassle, if it’s gone I’m not bothered unless it’s rammed and I can’t see anything easy to get to. Been raised a few times but Stoke advertise when selling away tickets that if you prefer to sit / ability wise need to sit then it’s best to head towards the front where possible as generally speaking majority of people who want to stand make their way to the back.

Dont think my Man City one has a seat allocated as such, just Tier 3 general admission and the email just says Level 3, not sure if it will arrive with an allocated seat though and whether their stewards will try to enforce where possible. 

Away games should 100% be unreserved, at least unofficially. That way everyone's happy. For Man City, my brother and I will likely head to the back like we normally do, regardless of where our allocated seats are. People coming up with 10 minutes till kick-off telling people to move are often biting off their nose to spite their face, given they may well not want to be standing for 90 minutes. 

Stewarding is hugely important too; QPR recently was a nightmare as they were being so so strict on people sitting in their allocated seats, but ran in to some people who refused to move from the back. This then led to one steward giving up and telling latecomers to sit wherever they could and another steward still attempting to remove people from the middles of rows. 

Ideal solution is we can choose when booking our tickets whether we want to be sitting or standing (like when you book for Brentford away), but until then I propose we all go where we want to go - standers to the back, sitters to the front. 

Away games shouldn't be 100% unreserved . I wouldn't care about unreserved seats etc but I know for a fact my old man who goes away every single game rain or shine doesn't want to stand up all game whilst someone else stands in his seat space.

Its about getting the balance right and it's not fair to assume that every fan would be alright with unreserved allocations because they wouldn't or nor should they.

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Away games shouldn't be 100% unreserved . I wouldn't care about unreserved seats etc but I know for a fact my old man who goes away every single game rain or shine doesn't want to stand up all game whilst someone else stands in his seat space.

Its about getting the balance right and it's not fair to assume that every fan would be alright with unreserved allocations because they wouldn't or nor should they.

I know I said it earlier in the thread and I know clubs can't do it but it would be so much easier if clubs were able to openly ask you if you wanted to sit or to stand when you were booking...

Like you I’m normally on my own when I go away, don’t really have any city mates they are all Swindon in my neck of the woods. usually head to my seat and suss out what it’s like but I like to be involved with the singing and atmosphere so if I’m likely to around people who want to sit I’ll trt and make my way to an area that’s a bit more lively.

away ends should be unreserved but when it’s a sell out and you get there close to kick off it could be a nightmare finding the odd seat or two

When young I tended to get there a little early and head for the back.

Now I am a bit older I get there a little early and head for much nearer the front.

I know it is tricky but tend to regard a ticket as getting me in, then it is grab the best seat you can for you!

5 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Common sense will tell you if you want to stand to go at the back and to sit near the front, they could print this on the ticket. Problem with allocated seats is it causes upsets everywhere, i like to stand so i always head to the back but i have had before someone who wanted to sit head to the back and ask if they could have their seat and then started moaning cause everyone's standing

As a young lad i can barely bare sitting at home games so when made to sit at an away game it really sucks a lot of passion out personally. If people want to complain about poor away noise (disregarding villa as heard that was great) then this should be the first issue looked into as well as travel prices. You only have to look at Section 82 and the back of the south stand where people stand to see that that's what gets the noise levels up. A general understanding that standers go back and sitters at the front would work wonders in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Common sense will tell you if you want to stand to go at the back and to sit near the front, they could print this on the ticket. Problem with allocated seats is it causes upsets everywhere, i like to stand so i always head to the back but i have had before someone who wanted to sit head to the back and ask if they could have their seat and then started moaning cause everyone's standing

Agree with most of that except the bit about ' allocated seats cause problems everywhere' . They really don't. 

Archived