IGNORED

Away game allocated seat etiquette

LondonBristolian

2 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Why should people lose any choice just because they want to sit in a allocated seat ? Front or back ? 

But someone who wants to stand can just go wherever ?

Because people who want to stand and make an atmosphere come first my friend :yes::thumbsup:

Monday was the first game in my life, 20 seconds before kick off i was asked if i intended to sit down. (In other words sit)

While most people were stood, as was sadly front row, didn't have too much choice. 

I do think the best away followings all stand!!

But if someone near the front chooses to sit, cant really blame them, not everyone likes standing!!

I like the idea of other posters that you should be able to indicate a preference for position in the stands, particularly for those who prefer to stand. Personally, at my age and size I now prefer to sit, and preferably no more than half way up as I don’t wish to climb the north face of the eiger to get to my seat. Newcastle last season and Sunderland this were a struggle, as will I expect tier 3 at Man City. 

I am all for allowing people to stand who wish to do so, but no one should be standing in all seater stadiums, not solely because of the law but because the pitch of some stands makes it clearly unsafe to do so. FFS the authorities blanket approval for the installation of safe rail seating is long overdue. 

10 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

There are 8 of us going including 4 kids, all our accounts are linked so we bought our seats together. We will be sitting in our seats! If someone else is in them when we get there we will be getting them moved. 

That comes across a little aggressive, certainly not my intention :laugh:. However the sentiment there, we will want to be together as a group, that's why we bought tickets together.

I have been a city fan for almost 50years and this sort of debate is always emotive. 

Every fan is equal - whether they wish to sit or stand - they have equal rights. 

What is wrong is the way clubs sell their tickets. If those of you who are old enough remember how tickets used to be sold you could choose between buying a ticket to sit or stand. In that way everyone got what they wanted. 

It is not fair to those who want to sit to be forced to the front as many grounds provide a better view from the middle upwards and if everyone has paid the same price for their ticket then they should receive the appropriate value for money. 

When there are sell outs like Man City - and until schemes like Safe Standing are brought in - everyone should be made to ‘sit’. Then everyone can get to see - what will hopefully be - a great game. 

1 hour ago, kivsy said:

Had seperate seats from my brother who works away , managed to get tickets for villa.   

Personally i  stand anywhere , but a couple of times I got people saying this is my seat ,  this is not the hippodrome ,

upper lansdown , looked the type 

So you’d continue to stand if you were knowingly blocking the view of someone who couldn’t or didn’t want to stand? 

IMO away games should be unreserved. Means people who haven't bought tickets together can sit together and improves atmosphere as a 'singing section' establishes itself. Then if you want to stand you move towards the back of the stand and if you want to sit, you're a family etc. you stay nearer the front. 

32 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

There are 8 of us going including 4 kids, all our accounts are linked so we bought our seats together. We will be sitting in our seats! If someone else is in them when we get there we will be getting them moved. 

You had best bring a spanner then!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, littlered said:

IMO away games should be unreserved. Means people who haven't bought tickets together can sit together and improves atmosphere as a 'singing section' establishes itself. Then if you want to stand you move towards the back of the stand and if you want to sit, you're a family etc. you stay nearer the front. 

Stay near the front and get soaked !!

You're really selling it to me and my family mate! 

14 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I have been a city fan for almost 50years and this sort of debate is always emotive. 

Every fan is equal - whether they wish to sit or stand - they have equal rights. 

What is wrong is the way clubs sell their tickets. If those of you who are old enough remember how tickets used to be sold you could choose between buying a ticket to sit or stand. In that way everyone got what they wanted. 

It is not fair to those who want to sit to be forced to the front as many grounds provide a better view from the middle upwards and if everyone has paid the same price for their ticket then they should receive the appropriate value for money. 

When there are sell outs like Man City - and until schemes like Safe Standing are brought in - everyone should be made to ‘sit’. Then everyone can get to see - what will hopefully be - a great game. 

Couldn't disagree in stronger terms.

"Every fan is equal - whether they wish to sit or stand - they have equal rights... It is not fair to those who want to sit to be forced to the front"

It's also not fair for those who want to stand be made to sit, by the same token. 

It's a common sense approach to allow those who want to stand to buy tickets at the back. Saying tough shit to those who want to do that, and that you have to sit, is exactly the same as saying if you want to sit, you have to go to the front.

One rule for these, a different one for another.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Couldn't disagree in stronger terms.

"Every fan is equal - whether they wish to sit or stand - they have equal rights... It is not fair to those who want to sit to be forced to the front"

It's also not fair for those who want to stand be made to sit, by the same token. 

It's a common sense approach to allow those who want to stand to buy tickets at the back. Saying tough shit to those who want to do that, and that you have to sit, is exactly the same as saying if you want to sit, you have to go to the front.

One rule for these, a different one for another.

I think you are missing the point. 

Currently under existing rulings we all have to buy a seat!  So actually those who are sitting are abiding by League regulations. 

A solution to this is to have two different sections where those who wish to stand can buy their ticket and those who wish to sit can buy theirs - often at a higher cost.

Until that situation is resolved everyone should sit in designated areas - that’s what  happens at Ashton Gate after all. 

3 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

I think you are missing the point. 

Currently under existing rulings we all have to buy a seat!  So actually those who are sitting are abiding by League regulations. 

A solution to this is to have two different sections where those who wish to stand can buy their ticket and those who wish to sit can buy theirs - often at a higher cost.

Until that situation is resolved everyone should sit in designated areas - that’s what  happens at Ashton Gate after all. 

Im confused by this. Please elaborate, I really don't get your point.

Surely what you're saying in your solution is exactly the same as people at the back standing, and people at the front sitting?

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Im confused by this. Please elaborate, I really don't get your point.

Surely what you're saying in your solution is exactly the same as people at the back standing, and people at the front sitting?

Absolutely not!

As we used to have - and even clubs like Torquay Utd - they have an Away section for standing and an away section for seats - two prices, two views, customer choice. 

We need clubs in higher divisions to give the same choice -a standing section covering perhaps front, middle and back; and a sitting section with the same. 

The ‘customer’ then has the choice which ticket they buy knowing the experience they are going to receive. 

1 minute ago, Denbury Red said:

Absolutely not!

As we used to have - and even clubs like Torquay Utd - they have an Away section for standing and an away section for seats - two prices, two views, customer choice. 

We need clubs in higher divisions to give the same choice -a standing section covering perhaps front, middle and back; and a sitting section with the same. 

The ‘customer’ then has the choice which ticket they buy knowing the experience they are going to receive. 

Ah I see what you're saying, totally agree with that. 

38 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's a common sense approach to allow those who want to stand to buy tickets at the back. 

That’s all good if you know which way the tickets are being sold, eg did Man City sell top of stand down towards Tier 2? Fulham sold the very bottom of the stand across towards the goal, I know as I had those seats and moved. The steward confirmed that’s how Fulham sells their tickets.

I’ve had good seats and bad seats when I’ve been away. I usually head to our seats and then move around KO time to unoccupied seats if I don’t like where I am sat.

At QPR and Villa last year we had seats right at the back, then the singers arrived and basically turfed us out as they wanted to be there. Fair enough, I don’t mind being near the singers, just a bit intimidating being amongst them. But then we had to find other seats which wasnt easy. Same at Brighton, we found other seats then some pissed up thugs arrived 20 mins into the match and decided they wanted their seats, not a great experience.

Then at Southampton a couple of years back we sat as we had made our own way there and had been walking around all day. So we sat with the other ‘sitters’ at the front of the stand. Three idiots infront of us decided to stand the whole match, they stood out as they were the only ones standing, but they were in ‘their’ seats and were going to stand. The match was crap and I complained to a steward along with several people near me. The ‘lads’ wouldn’t sit down and there wasn’t anywhere to move. The stewards did nothing. I actually wrote to Southampton and complained on my return and got an apology.

It’s  certainly hit and miss regarding seating at away games, but I hope going away and have had some great times.

Tell people to man up. People that are incaple of standing get down the front. Push the old diddies down the stairs.

we seem incapable of planning things as city fans, no one else has any other issues. 

How did all the wolves fans stand, Leeds etc? 

Section82 been unreserved all year, “reserved” for united and everyone has a breakdown.

city fans need to man up it’s pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Tell people to man up. People that are incaple of standing get down the front. Push the old diddies down the stairs.

we seem incapable of planning things as city fans, no one else has any other issues. 

How did all the wolves fans stand, Leeds etc? 

Section82 been unreserved all year, “reserved” for united and everyone has a breakdown.

city fans need to man up it’s pathetic. 

Get back to your mum and dad's box room !! 

Driving up with a few mates. Believe their seats are together however I'm elsewhere.. albeit in the same tier. I'll try to stick with them, If I get asked to move I'll move. 

Also one that likes to stand in and amongst the noise, seeing as I had no choice in where I'd be sitting/standing, I'll try and get away with anything I can. Those that want to stand, as previously mentioned, head towards the back.. That's what I'll be doing. 

Bar Wembley I’ve honestly never once even looked at the seat number on my ticket at an away game, I just find somewhere at the back to stand. The only time I’ve ever been asked to move was down Southampton, I think this is the game mentioned above when there was loads of problems between sitters and standers.

The Stoke idea definitely seems the best solution to me.

What I'm finding quite useful having started this thread is that I've always assumed everyone else knew the etiquette and I didn't. It's reassuring to find out that everyone has got different ideas on how it works.

I'm also calling "bollocks" on the idea other clubs don't have these issues, or that fans of every club all stand whereas we don't. Pretty sure you'll find pretty much every club has a mixture of people who want to sit, people who want to stand and people who want to do a bit of both...

Archived