IGNORED

Away game allocated seat etiquette

LondonBristolian

• Admin
15 hours ago, A Darkwood Red said:

There are 8 of us going including 4 kids, all our accounts are linked so we bought our seats together. We will be sitting in our seats! If someone else is in them when we get there we will be getting them moved. 

Same here, large group of us bought together so we can sit together. 

To me unless unless we sell like Stoke do, or there is space for people to move about people just have to sit where they'e aallocated for this one. It's a sell out so assume there is no additional space so only way they will get everyone seated is we are in allocated seats? 

Sadly the higher up the League's we go the more this will happen. 

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Why do we have these threads every. single. time. we have a large away following.

For the trippers, this is how it works .. go where you want, if you physically cannot stand for 90, front rows. Everyone else standing making a hell of a racket.

How arrogant does this sound? 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Same here, large group of us bought together so we can sit together. 

To me unless unless we sell like Stoke do, or there is space for people to move about people just have to sit where they'e aallocated for this one. It's a sell out so assume there is no additional space so only way they will get everyone seated is we are in allocated seats? 

Sadly the higher up the League's we go the more this will happen. 

Not always the case. You look at man utd, chelsea, arsenal and liverpool who have the biggest support in the country and sell out every away game they will never sit. In fact i bet if you told someone to sit at an away game of one of these you would possibly get told to f off.

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's a sell out so assume there is no additional space so only way they will get everyone seated is we are in allocated seats?

This may be the only way. It will be rammed in there. There will be chaos if people just decide to go where they want in that amount of space with that amount of fans.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, South Somerset Red said:

Not always the case. You look at man utd, chelsea, arsenal and liverpool who have the biggest support in the country and sell out every away game they will never sit. In fact i bet if you told someone to sit at an away game of one of these you would possibly get told to f off.

Not sit, but I bet you 100% each fan is stood in front of their allocated seat

It was something we have been fortunate with being able to do (move around) in the lower leagues but won't happen as much with sell outs

26 minutes ago, Spoons said:

How arrogant does this sound? 

Ignore it - it was inevitable that someone would take the opportunity to remind everyone how much of a 'proper' fan they are. Pretty obvious to anyone reading this thread there are loads of people who go regularly and have different ideas on how it works...

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

It was something we have been fortunate with being able to do (move around) in the lower leagues but won't happen as much with sell outs

They really wont. An away ticket for these fans is nothing more than a ticket through the turnstiles 

I tend to think you should just go wherever you want. I don't think I've ever once been in my seat at an away game. It really does solve everyones problems;

-- People who want to sit can go at the front.

-- People who want to stand at the back.

-- Large groups who want to be together can easily do so.

-- It makes for a better atmosphere.

-- etc etc etc

49 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Ignore it - it was inevitable that someone would take the opportunity to remind everyone how much of a 'proper' fan they are. Pretty obvious to anyone reading this thread there are loads of people who go regularly and have different ideas on how it works...

It's not about being a 'proper fan' or whatever yoy want to label it but managing expectations for those that only ever travel for the big events and get all funny when someone is stood up in front of them.

As someone who's watched the overwhelming majority of away matches in some seasons, although not for a couple of years, I've never had any trouble finding and sitting in the seat I've been allocated...and that included most of the away matches in our Cotts promotion season when we were travelling in numbers. Most City fans I've met are reasonable people. 

Having worked behind the scenes at many big sports events I find it hard to imagine that a venue like the Etihad, which regularly hosts large crowds, will allow people to sit where ever they like. I'd expect them to consider that a recipe for chaos. 

...and for anyone wondering when they will be posted out, ours have just arrived. Row H in the third tier...looks like a decent view...

47 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's not about being a 'proper fan' or whatever yoy want to label it but managing expectations for those that only ever travel for the big events and get all funny when someone is stood up in front of them.

I actually think this is a good point, regardless of the debate about whether it should be unreserved or not, or stand at the back/sit at the front etc.

There are inevitably going to be a LOT of people going to this game who don't regularly attend away games. (Before anyone jumps down my throat, they are of course as entitled as anyone else is.)

The point i'm making is that I think that there could actually be a lot of aggro on the night. Those who regularly go and head to the back (or front if you want to sit) will inevitably be asked to move by those who want to sit in their seats, those seats will then be surrounded by people standing so complaints/arguments will ensue, stewards will have to get involved and so on and so forth.

Even though I always head to the back as I enjoy standing for away games, I am under no illusion that I am probably going to have to sit in my allocated seat for this one. Otherwise with the sheer numbers of us going, chaos is likely to ensue.

18 hours ago, CTIDhc said:

As a young lad i can barely bare sitting at home games so when made to sit at an away game it really sucks a lot of passion out personally. If people want to complain about poor away noise (disregarding villa as heard that was great) then this should be the first issue looked into as well as travel prices. You only have to look at Section 82 and the back of the south stand where people stand to see that that's what gets the noise levels up. A general understanding that standers go back and sitters at the front would work wonders in my opinion.

Have to agree with what you say i'm in me 50s and i really hate sitting at away games. Reading away was a prime example we took over 3000 for this game and i was expecting more people to be standing up towards the back. When i got to my seat which was about 7-10 rows from the back only the back 2 rows were standing but it was already packed out so there was no chance for me to get up there. Of course before the game started I had the usual comments telling me to sit down, I respected their request but I hated every bloody minute of it. I tried to get songs going but it was pointless no one wanted to join in. It has really put me off travelling to away games and the only ones I am consdering going to is millwall and cardiff where I hope every one will be standing.

As someone has already mentioned the away games should be unreserved seating

19 hours ago, Busterrimes said:

This is my personal opinion but where it is a large sell out like this then people should sit in allocated seats. It is not fair on people who have bought tickets to then not be sat together.

I 100% agree with this. When we only fill 1/2 the allocation its fine as everybody can basically sit where they want. When its a sell out go to your allocated seat and think of others.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Believe me ' I don't just travel for the big events!'! 

1 hour ago, KingLear said:

I actually think this is a good point, regardless of the debate about whether it should be unreserved or not, or stand at the back/sit at the front etc.

There are inevitably going to be a LOT of people going to this game who don't regularly attend away games. (Before anyone jumps down my throat, they are of course as entitled as anyone else is.)

The point i'm making is that I think that there could actually be a lot of aggro on the night. Those who regularly go and head to the back (or front if you want to sit) will inevitably be asked to move by those who want to sit in their seats, those seats will then be surrounded by people standing so complaints/arguments will ensue, stewards will have to get involved and so on and so forth.

Even though I always head to the back as I enjoy standing for away games, I am under no illusion that I am probably going to have to sit in my allocated seat for this one. Otherwise with the sheer numbers of us going, chaos is likely to ensue.

Tbh I expect the majority will stand for this game anyway. If you really want to sit in your allocated seat near the back surely you are not expecting to sit down and have an unrestricted view

Think the last time I was told to move seats was at Chesterfield away when a middle aged man, old woman and small child decided they wanted to sit in their back row seats in amongst all the singers 5 minutes after kick off. Plenty of seats free down the front, looked round a few minutes later to see them sat down with their view completely blocked. Knobheads.

7 minutes ago, bcfcrobins14 said:

Tbh I expect the majority will stand for this game anyway. If you really want to sit in your allocated seat near the back surely you are not expecting to sit down and have an unrestricted view

Yeah i'd imagine you're right, I think the majority will stand.

In my personal experience though I have seen people come to the back of the stand at any away game, insist on the seat on their ticket and then proceed to tell people to sit down because they can't see so it does happen. In my opinion it's even more likely to happen at this game.

Southampton away 10 years ago, a sell out. I’m sat in the away end with a mate around a dozen rows from the back. To the right next to me a pensioner on his own, then a young boy roughly 7 years old with his Dad. In front of the boy and his dad were three blokes who were standing for long periods of the match, out of preference not necessity, no one was standing in front of them. The boy could not see even when standing on seat. The dad asks numerous times for them to sit, they’d begrudgingly oblige for a minute or two before standing up again, things were becoming a little heated. With City losing 2-0, 10 mins to go and playing badly, dad asks for them to sit once more and all of a sudden punches were being thrown. I manage to get pensioner out of the way before picking up boy and shuffling him back up the rows with help from people behind me. I then get the hell away from it myself. 

It turned into a free for all. So called city fans climbing over rows of other city fans wanting to knock the crap out of each other. I’ve never felt so disgusted, and it unfortunately lives quite strongly in the memory.

Now there are arguments for and against sitting in allocated seats regarding this incident. Maybe boy shouldn’t have attended given his age and lack of height.

The point is it should not matter whether you prefer to sit or stand, front middle or back. It’s having awareness of the situation, who’s around you, common sense, and just a bit of old fashioned respect for one another. 

In my opinion sitting in allocated seats will cause less problems than sitting where you want when it’s a sell out. Are you really going to feel that hard done by if you find your seat isn’t quite where you want it to be? You’ll be sat/stood next to one of 7679 other City fans who want the team to do well just as much as you do, and you can still sing/shout/be silent and watch the game just as well as you could in any other part of the away end. 

Away days when there is room to move, then fill your boots. Sit or stand where you want. 

5 minutes ago, MartockRed said:

Southampton away 10 years ago, a sell out. I’m sat in the away end with a mate around a dozen rows from the back. To the right next to me a pensioner on his own, then a young boy roughly 7 years old with his Dad. In front of the boy and his dad were three blokes who were standing for long periods of the match, out of preference not necessity, no one was standing in front of them. The boy could not see even when standing on seat. The dad asks numerous times for them to sit, they’d begrudgingly oblige for a minute or two before standing up again, things were becoming a little heated. With City 2-0, 10 mins to go and playing badly, dad asks for them to sit once more and all of a sudden punches were being thrown. I manage to get pensioner out of the way before picking up boy and shuffling him back up the rows with help from people behind me. I then get the hell away from it myself. 

It turned into a free for all. So called city fans climbing over rows of other city fans wanting to knock the crap out of each other. I’ve never felt so disgusted, and it unfortunately lives quite strongly in the memory.

Now there are arguments for and against sitting in allocated seats regarding this incident. Maybe boy shouldn’t have attended given his age and lack of height.

The point is it should not matter whether you prefer to sit or stand, front middle or back. It’s having awareness of the situation, who’s around you, common sense, and just a bit of old fashioned respect for one another. 

In my opinion sitting in allocated seats will cause less problems than sitting where you want when it’s a sell out. Are you really going to feel that hard done by if you find your seat isn’t quite where you want it to be? You’ll be sat/stood next to one of 7679 other City fans who want the team to do well just as much as you do, and you can still sing/shout/be silent and watch the game just as well as you could in any other part of the away end. 

Away days when there is room to move, then fill your boots. Sit or stand where you want. 

This sounds similar to reading two seasons ago. 

13 minutes ago, MartockRed said:

Southampton away 10 years ago, a sell out. I’m sat in the away end with a mate around a dozen rows from the back. To the right next to me a pensioner on his own, then a young boy roughly 7 years old with his Dad. In front of the boy and his dad were three blokes who were standing for long periods of the match, out of preference not necessity, no one was standing in front of them. The boy could not see even when standing on seat. The dad asks numerous times for them to sit, they’d begrudgingly oblige for a minute or two before standing up again, things were becoming a little heated. With City losing 2-0, 10 mins to go and playing badly, dad asks for them to sit once more and all of a sudden punches were being thrown. I manage to get pensioner out of the way before picking up boy and shuffling him back up the rows with help from people behind me. I then get the hell away from it myself. 

I think a big aspect of this is exactly what you say about respect for other people. I actually don't mind sitting and I don't mind standing - both are completely different experiences and you see the game completely differently but both appeal to me in different ways. But I think the key thing is - assuming no disability or inability to either stand or sit for long periods - to respect what people around you want to do. As a general rule, if the fans around me all stand then I'll stand and if the fans around me all sit then I'll sit. And I get the person who sits at the back and yells at people to sit down is a bit frustrating but so too are the people who insist on standing when nobody else around them is. 

At Man City I agree that we're probably all going to be under pressure to be in our allocated seats. My hope is I'm going to be in an area where people are standing and that's what I'd rather do for this game. But, if everyone around me is sitting then I won't. I'm bloody looking forward to it either way.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I suggest you don't put your house, car and first-born on that 100% certainty bet: I have a few friends who either go, or used to go, away with United: as I noted on a post before the United game, the accepted etiquette for their away games is that the ticket gets you into the ground, and it's jungle rules thereafter.

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think a big aspect of this is exactly what you say about respect for other people. I actually don't mind sitting and I don't mind standing - both are completely different experiences and you see the game completely differently but both appeal to me in different ways. But I think the key thing is - assuming no disability or inability to either stand or sit for long periods - to respect what people around you want to do. As a general rule, if the fans around me all stand then I'll stand and if the fans around me all sit then I'll sit. And I get the person who sits at the back and yells at people to sit down is a bit frustrating but so too are the people who insist on standing when nobody else around them is. 

At Man City I agree that we're probably all going to be under pressure to be in our allocated seats. My hope is I'm going to be in an area where people are standing and that's what I'd rather do for this game. But, if everyone around me is sitting then I won't. I'm bloody looking forward to it either way.

This is a key thing IMO, and something that is lacking hugely (in general society as well as specifics)

Personally I love the atmosphere at football and I tend to go to games on my own so I will drift to find an empty seat near the singers if I can.

But if I go with my Dad who isnt big on the singing then I wont spend the match stood up singing while he is sat down beside me, but I'll sit with him and we'll generally talk about points in the game as we watch.

When I've been fortunate to be able to use a spare ticket of @BigAlToby&Liams I generally stay sat down because it's a front row seat.

I think being able to read and assess the situation is something that has to be done

I don't get away to see City on the road so often, but gotta say certainly- with obvious exception of full away ends- I would have gone up near the back on most occasions. Didn't quite realise people shuffled around like that :laugh:.

Regards this- I won't be there but even for non-regulars, it should be a bit of a no-brainer, a given that away fans stand and especially the higher you go in the stand, the more likely it is.

I totally get that some people love standing at games and that it gives them a better atmosphere and match experience (I’m one of them). 

But some are so arrogant towards those that sit down. My dad is fairly old and can’t stand up that long but he loves the club and wants to go. I’ve had our own fans swearing at him and calling him boring for sitting down. 

I wish we had people that needed to sit at the front and standers at the back. And all sang as one. 

Embarrassing watchig the super ultra fans that stand slating their own fans. 

Archived