IGNORED

Away game allocated seat etiquette

LondonBristolian

6 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Should be first come basis if you want to stay in pub until kick off your choice , just get to ground in the correct time and claim best seat available as you would in the cinema, don’t cause any hassle and ruin the night just take a seat and enjoy EASY 

That’s been my experience from onlooking. If a group of blokes arriving 2 minutes before KO at best, or later at worst, decide they want to stand where you are, ie they want your seat, they will just arrive and intimidate. You get 2 or 3 trying to stand in one space at it doesn’t work. No way will these people move once they want to be with their friends so the poor people occupying these seats are forced out. In an idea world these ejected people could simply swop places and sit where these late arrivals have tickets, but most are not sober enough or willing to have this conversation. So the forced out people are forced to find seats themselves and cause other people to move, and are often frowned upon for something not their fault. All possible in an away end with lots of empty seats, not so easy in a sell out. 

7 hours ago, DavidNoble said:

I totally get that some people love standing at games and that it gives them a better atmosphere and match experience (I’m one of them). 

But some are so arrogant towards those that sit down. My dad is fairly old and can’t stand up that long but he loves the club and wants to go. I’ve had our own fans swearing at him and calling him boring for sitting down. 

I wish we had people that needed to sit at the front and standers at the back. And all sang as one. 

Embarrassing watchig the super ultra fans that stand slating their own fans. 

Just start knocking people out if they are abusing your dad, only way they will learn. They wont be so cocky then.

On 1/3/2018 at 17:18, kivsy said:

Had seperate seats from my brother who works away , managed to get tickets for villa.   

Personally i  stand anywhere , but a couple of times I got people saying this is my seat ,  this is not the hippodrome ,

upper lansdown , looked the type 

Hope it wasn't you a few years ago at Portsmouth who, with two or three others, insisted on standing in the front row, then got abusive when asked to sit down.

I remember an elderly gentleman next to us in the second row who was unable to stand, ended up in tears because he could see nothing.

I believe a steward led him to a seperate area at half time.

Or was it you that blocked the view of a 10 year old at Swindon, last time we played there, then when this was pointed out by my son, said "Well he ought to grow then!!!"

:dunno:

In the case of Man C away, it's sold out so I would suggest people sit in their allocated seat otherwise it WILL cause unnecesssary problems. If an away game isn't sold out then unallocated is fine by me.

for the Etihad, as well as other sold out games, we should sit where are tickets state to avoid issues. An example, we have 10 seats all booked together on Tuesday and anyone sat in our seats will be moving as we have purposely bought them together. We have waited for the middle tier (our preference) and got the seats we wanted. If people want to sit / stand together, why not book together, it's hardly rocket science WTGR. It's not our fault if someone wants to sit in the seats we've booked after all and if we can do it, why shouldn't they?

IF we did go up, sell outs will be a more regular thing, as is happening lately and we're going to have to get used to this and sitting in seats allocated to others is just plain daft when away ends are sold out IMHO. Ask people to swap by all means but, if they say 'no', move. It avoids any conflict and we're all reds after all! 

Out of interest, I've been to the Etihad before and it IS allocated seating IIRC. 

Personally, like others have said above, I always go to my allocated seat to begin with. If there are plenty of spaces free with 5 minutes to go before kick off then I think it's acceptable to move elsewhere, however where it's a sell out then its the luck of the draw whether you've got a good seat or not.

This can then go 2 ways, I've ended up being stuck in the 3rd row behind the goal at Reading which wasn't great and worse in the front row behind the goal at QPR where I had to sit all game and watch the game with the pitch at eye level through the net.

Then again I've had some great seats at games too. For me, the uncertainty of walking in to find I've got a good/awful seat is all part of the match day experience, and on some occasions you're fortunate and some you're not.

What I don't think is fair therefore is for someone to assume they are owed the divine right to have the best view in the stand at every game because they want to sing, and for other people to be deprived of the good view their ticket has fortunately provided on this occasion. As a football fan my main aim of going to a game is to watch Bristol city and see a good game of football, if I can stand and sing that's good, if people around me are sat then I'll sit. After all, I'm there to watch football not to join the choir, and I can enjoy the game sat down and so can they, yet if I stand up I will ruin the game for several people. 

An alternative suggestion could be: If you're determined to stand at every game, why not make it the accepted rule at Bristol City to have the front 5 rows as standing? You're songs will be better heard by the players and fans in other stands. At any game that's not a sell out you can then leave a few rows behind you and the seated fans can sit near the back and see over you. This would allow you to stand with little argument, and seated fans not to have to sit in the rain? or in the bad seats? You're actions shouldn't make the experience worse for others, if you are adamant you have to stand then offer someone a better view and you're both happy surely? 

19 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

But, if everyone around me is sitting then I won't.

Good luck with that one !!

Thing I don't understand with all this, top level games supporters always sit in the seat they have purchased - go to any international fixture or game at Wembley at people don't think about sitting where they want so why do people assume that it is acceptable to do so at City games?

I understand when we were in League 1 we often had space to sit where we wanted but at grounds where it is a sell out, it is a case of sit in your seat

18 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Thing I don't understand with all this, top level games supporters always sit in the seat they have purchased - go to any international fixture or game at Wembley at people don't think about sitting where they want so why do people assume that it is acceptable to do so at City games?

I understand when we were in League 1 we often had space to sit where we wanted but at grounds where it is a sell out, it is a case of sit in your seat

Maybe one day in the future we can select seats for away games. Right now we are in the hands of the away club telling our club which way they want the tickets sold, eg top to bottom, left to right etc. If we can pick the standers can all group together and the sitters, people who need to be near an aisle, families etc can choose somewhere suitable. If the game doesn’t sell out people can move on the day if needed, eg find a post in the way or too low down etc. 

Im not holding out much hope of this happening though since my suggestion to at least have the seat numbers added to the concourse signs fell on deaf ears. 

I guess some of this comes down to how important an atmosphere in an away end is to you. 

It doesn't create itself.

If watching city and/or a good game of football is all that matter to you, why would you stand? 

But if you think being an away fan comes with the obligation to be as noisy as possible... then i guess you'd want to stand with as many others as you can.

*age and ability to stand for long periods being the exception*

59 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Think I phrased myself ambiguously there - what I meant was "if everyone else is sitting I won't stand".

I absolutely agree with what @city2015 says above - if the game is a sell out or close to, go to your allocated seat. Suss out the situation before kick off and if you can spot a better seat to move to then go for it. At the same time I still think it would much better if clubs communicated with each other a bit more so away supporters could choose their seats in the same way home fans can - it seems to me that would broadly solve the problem.

36 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

We're talking about away games here. At Ashton Gate unless you are in section 82 everyone goes to their allocated seat. Top Level teams you wont stand a chance even sitting at away games let alone get your seat unless you're lucky enough to grab one right at the front.

33 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Think I phrased myself ambiguously there - what I meant was "if everyone else is sitting I won't stand".

I absolutely agree with what @city2015 says above - if the game is a sell out or close to, go to your allocated seat. Suss out the situation before kick off and if you can spot a better seat to move to then go for it. At the same time I still think it would much better if clubs communicated with each other a bit more so away supporters could choose their seats in the same way home fans can - it seems to me that would broadly solve the problem.

This won't work though LB as that 'better seat' may well have been sold to another supporter or in Tuesday's case HAS been sold to a fellow supporter. 

If I'm being honest, given we've sold out, people choosing to move seats willy nilly is just plain rude TBH and will cause problems, no offence meant.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

This won't work though LB as that 'better seat' may well have been sold to another supporter or in Tuesday's case HAS been sold to a fellow supporter. 

If I'm being honest, given we've sold out, people choosing to move seats willy nilly is just plain rude TBH and will cause problems, no offence meant.

It's not "plain rude" and it works both ways. Forest away a couple of years ago, 3 elderly people wanted to be at the front where they could sit down but the stewards forced them into their allocated seats at the very back, where they were then in and amongst rowdy singers who were standing. When the stewards moved out the way, they then moved down to the front. Why should they have been forced to stand in and amongst rowdy supporters against their will? Are they plain rude as well?

6 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

It's not "plain rude" and it works both ways. Forest away a couple of years ago, 3 elderly people wanted to be at the front where they could sit down but the stewards forced them into their allocated seats at the very back, where they were then in and amongst rowdy singers who were standing. When the stewards moved out the way, they then moved down to the front. Why should they have been forced to stand in and amongst rowdy supporters against their will? Are they plain rude as well?

Of course not but they wouldn't just assume they can steal someone elses' eat I would hope.

As I said earlier, if someone is happy to swap, no problem at all but, until a better solution comes along, in a sold out away end, people will have to sit where their ticket states or we will have issues. If you can't understand that, WTGR, it's not my problem. Imagine you are going to the game with 4 mates and people are in your seats? Are you going to split up and all sit on your own to accommodate someone who fancies your seat better than their own? I think not! 

If you have a better solution, I'm all ears! 

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair enough. As I said at the top of the thread, I'm perfectly happy to sit in my allocated seat (and prefer to do so because then I know nobody is going to move me!). But it's clear from this thread - whether you agree with it or not - there are some supporters going on Tuesday who want to move to a section that suits them better.

Generally I'd rather people didn't as I think it could become a bit of a cluster**** but I think there has to be some common sense - for example, I have no problem with someone who cannot stand who finds themselves at the back spotting a seat near the front that is still empty at kick-off moving down and taking it. Yes, we've sold out and it's unlikely to happen at Man City but at other games where we've sold out - QPR for example - there were spare seats around, presumably 'cos some people were ill or decided on the day they didn't fancy it or whatever (which won't happen at Man City).

And, to be honest, much as I think it is much easier if people do sit in their allocated seats and I think anyone on Tuesday in someone else's seat who is asked to move should just suck it up and accept that, I also think that anyone who arrives after kick-off who finds their allocated seat in use has to accept that is their fault for not arriving on time...

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fair enough. As I said at the top of the thread, I'm perfectly happy to sit in my allocated seat (and prefer to do so because then I know nobody is going to move me!). But it's clear from this thread - whether you agree with it or not - there are some supporters going on Tuesday who want to move to a section that suits them better.

Generally I'd rather people didn't as I think it could become a bit of a cluster**** but I think there has to be some common sense - for example, I have no problem with someone who cannot stand who finds themselves at the back spotting a seat near the front that is still empty at kick-off moving down and taking it. Yes, we've sold out and it's unlikely to happen at Man City but at other games where we've sold out - QPR for example - there were spare seats around, presumably 'cos some people were ill or decided on the day they didn't fancy it or whatever (which won't happen at Man City).

And, to be honest, much as I think it is much easier if people do sit in their allocated seats and I think anyone on Tuesday in someone else's seat who is asked to move should just suck it up and accept that, I also think that anyone who arrives after kick-off who finds their allocated seat in use has to accept that is their fault for not arriving on time...

Spot on LB. The people mentioned in the highlighted bit are the problem.Where are the people they are usurping supposed to go in a sold out away end especially if they came together? These are the 'rude' people I'm talking about, just plain ignorance but as long as they're alright eh, bugger everyone else! 

Regardless of our own opinions on the matter, the truth is that at least 25% of fans going next Tuesday will ignore the seat on their ticket. The knock on effect will mean that unless you get into the ground early, it will be sit/stand where you can. 

If you need to sit or have a large party that you want to be together then my advice is to get in early. This does seem unfair, but practically speaking it is your only guarantee. If you try a get the elderly couple out of your seats, when they are only there because their seats were nabbed by a group of teens, then I'd say they are probably justified to stay there because they have to sit somewhere.

I appreciate the arguments about seats at the front having a lesser view, as well as groups getting split up, or even getting wet at the front. However practically speaking if I had to sit because of disability I'd rather guarantee myself a seat at the front, than taking 'my seat' and risk staring at a standers arse all game or having to stand which may be very painful. 

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Regardless of our own opinions on the matter, the truth is that at least 25% of fans going next Tuesday will ignore the seat on their ticket. The knock on effect will mean that unless you get into the ground early, it will be sit/stand where you can. 

If you need to sit or have a large party that you want to be together then my advice is to get in early. This does seem unfair, but practically speaking it is your only guarantee. If you try a get the elderly couple out of your seats, when they are only there because their seats were nabbed by a group of teens, then I'd say they are probably justified to stay there because they have to sit somewhere.

I appreciate the arguments about seats at the front having a lesser view, as well as groups getting split up, or even getting wet at the front. However practically speaking if I had to sit because of disability I'd rather guarantee myself a seat at the front, than taking 'my seat' and risk staring at a standers arse all game or having to stand which may be very painful. 

I appreciate that's what will happen WTTJ but it doesn't make it right. When there's room, I've got absolutely no issues at all with it but, as we're doing better and are selling out away ends now, it really is a problem. I can see frayed tempers and punches being thrown in the away stands on Tuesday because some people don't have any common sense / decency.

Going forward, I agree it would be ideal if we could do something like Stoke as I think it's a great idea.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I appreciate that's what will happen WTTJ but it doesn't make it right. When there's room, I've got absolutely no issues at all with it but, as we're doing better and are selling out away ends now, it really is a problem. I can see frayed tempers and punches being thrown in the away stands on Tuesday because some people don't have any common sense / decency.

Going forward, I agree it would be ideal if we could do something like Stoke as I think it's a great idea.

There are lots of things that are not right though. I should be able to not lock my front door without fear of my stuff being nicked, but I can't. We put up with the inconvenience of having locks and keys (and the results when we lose the keys) because it is simply easier than the alternative.

As I said on a previous post I'll be heading to my seat, and failing that (it's taken), as close to it as I can manage to get a speedy resolution should someone claim the one I'm in. However it is a fact that many will not go to their seat, in the same way it is a fact that there will always be people who want to burgle. That's why I'd recommend getting there early, but failing that, go to a seat which reflects your needs as a fan, be that standing or sitting or as a group. 

It doesn't make it right, but sometimes you just have to adapt to societies flaws to make yours and others lives easier.  

7 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

There are lots of things that are not right though. I should be able to not lock my front door without fear of my stuff being nicked, but I can't. We put up with the inconvenience of having locks and keys (and the results when we lose the keys) because it is simply easier than the alternative.

As I said on a previous post I'll be heading to my seat, and failing that (it's taken), as close to it as I can manage to get a speedy resolution should someone claim the one I'm in. However it is a fact that many will not go to their seat, in the same way it is a fact that there will always be people who want to burgle. That's why I'd recommend getting there early, but failing that, go to a seat which reflects your needs as a fan, be that standing or sitting or as a group. 

It doesn't make it right, but sometimes you just have to adapt to societies flaws to make yours and others lives easier.  

It will always inconvenience someone though WTTJ, as would a burglary, obviously, but it's totally unnecessary in this instance. People should have the common sense to realise that, in a sold out away end, you can't just sit where the hell you want.

I do agree with you FWIW.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Of course not but they wouldn't just assume they can steal someone elses' eat I would hope.

As I said earlier, if someone is happy to swap, no problem at all but, until a better solution comes along, in a sold out away end, people will have to sit where their ticket states or we will have issues. If you can't understand that, WTGR, it's not my problem. Imagine you are going to the game with 4 mates and people are in your seats? Are you going to split up and all sit on your own to accommodate someone who fancies your seat better than their own? I think not! 

If you have a better solution, I'm all ears! 

Well evidently they did think they could "steal" someone else's seats because they did. As it turns out I am going to the game with 4 mates and we're all split up anyway, just as we were at QPR and Villa. Both of those games were sold out and we were able to stand at the back together with no problems at all. Because at those games people tend to have more of an understanding of how things work at away games you see, as opposed to the 5,000 day trippers in attendance at the Etihad. I'll happily stand on the stairs anyway if the stewards allow it.

4 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Well evidently they did think they could "steal" someone else's seats because they did. As it turns out I am going to the game with 4 mates and we're all split up anyway, just as we were at QPR and Villa. Both of those games were sold out and we were able to stand at the back together with no problems at all. Because at those games people tend to have more of an understanding of how things work at away games you see, as opposed to the 5,000 day trippers in attendance at the Etihad. I'll happily stand on the stairs anyway if the stewards allow it.

Each to their own Aaron. As for the 'day tripper' comment, after 42 seasons and well over 1,000 away games, I will ignore that. 

1 minute ago, AshtonPark said:

Why though? 7000 tickets, 7000 seats? Enough seats for everyone?

Because people who have chosen / purchased seats together (i.e had the common sense to do it properly) should NOT be inconvenienced by someone else who didn't. Simples! If people wanted to be together in the first place, as my friends and I do, why should we have to split up because somebody wants to sit with their mates / in a better seat when it's made soooo easy to book together (friends and family)?

4 hours ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

But, if everyone around me is sitting then I won't. 

What a wonderful example of contextomy.

London Bristolian's original post actually said:

'At Man City I agree that we're probably all going to be under pressure to be in our allocated seats. My hope is I'm going to be in an area where people are standing and that's what I'd rather do for this game. But, if everyone around me is sitting then I won't.'

My interpretation (and I hope I am correct!) was that LB would rather stand, but would fit in with what his fellow fans are doing, not that he would stand regardless of whether or not his fellow fans were sitting. 

My apologies to @Alan Dicks' Barmy Army and @LondonBristolian for I now see this 'misquote' has been addressed.

5 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Did you ask specifically everyone who's seat you were stood in whether they were happy to give up there seat at the back and move to the front with a lesser view so you could stand in their seat? Did you check they were all able to sit together as a family? and they were happy with the 'enforced seat trade'?

And

Do they have an understanding of how things work at an away game? or as with the above point where they just intimidated by the masses of people acting as above and hence forced against their will to sit nearer the front?

Are stewards there to intentionally be difficult for you and prevent you from standing in someone else's seat or in the stair well? Or are they there trying to keep people safe and please the masses who perhaps didn't want to give up their allocated seat because someone else has decided they want the best seat in the house?

19 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

I still don't understand this 'daytrippers' crack people keep coming up with. I get to my share of away games - way more than I do at home because of where I am based - but I absolutely get some people cannot get to many away games because of money or family commitments or whatever else. That is fine and I suspect many of them get to more home games than I do.

The reality is tickets for the Man City game sold fast - way before they went on general sale. I suspect the majority of fans going are Season Ticket holders and those who are not are members, most if not all of whom I suspect get to a number of games each season. Every single one of those people is a City fan who has as much right to their ticket and as much right to a good experience as you or I do. I also strongly suspect you do not live in Manchester are making a trip there for the, erm, day. 

I get that at a Wembley final where we get 30, 000 tickets or whatever we got for the JPT, there will be people who are not massive City fans but going for the experience. That is not the case with 7, 000 tickets that sell out before general sale. This "daytrippers" crap is just a bullshit disrespectful way of speaking about other supporters who in this case will be members and season ticket holders and, as I said in a previous post, comes across like people trying to come across like they are the "real" fans and everyone who disagrees with them somehow is not. I also suspect you don't get many casual supporters spending much time on supporters' forums come to that. Every single one of those 7, 600 fans at the Etihad is a fan and deserves a great experience and anyone who wants to stick a pretend crown on their head and declare themselves "King of the away games" is just making an fool out of themselves and showing a complete lack of respect to other committed supporters. 

6 minutes ago, city2015 said:

Did you ask specifically everyone who's seat you were stood in whether they were happy to give up there seat at the back and move to the front with a lesser view so you could stand in their seat? Did you check they were all able to sit together as a family? and they were happy with the 'enforced seat trade'?

And

Do they have an understanding of how things work at an away game? or as with the above point where they just intimidated by the masses of people acting as above and hence forced against their will to sit nearer the front?

Are stewards there to intentionally be difficult for you and prevent you from standing in someone else's seat or in the stair well? Or are they there trying to keep people safe and please the masses who perhaps didn't want to give up their allocated seat because someone else has decided they want the best seat in the house?

Have a 'like' Sir (I don't seem to get to use any). I thought I was on my own for a while there and the world had gone mad! Thank you. 

TBH, we sound a little bit tinpot saying 'I'll stand where I like', this is different gravy to what we're used to. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I still don't understand this 'daytrippers' crack people keep coming up with. I get to my share of away games - way more than I do at home because of where I am based - but I absolutely get some people cannot get to many away games because of money or family commitments or whatever else. That is fine and I suspect many of them get to more home games than I do.

The reality is tickets for the Man City game sold fast - way before they went on general sale. I suspect the majority of fans going are Season Ticket holders and those who are not are members, most if not all of whom I suspect get to a number of games each season. Every single one of those people is a City fan who has as much right to their ticket and as much right to a good experience as you or I do. I also strongly suspect you do not live in Manchester are making a trip there for the, erm, day. 

I get that at a Wembley final where we get 30, 000 tickets or whatever we got for the JPT, there will be people who are not massive City fans but going for the experience. That is not the case with 7, 000 tickets that sell out before general sale. This "daytrippers" crap is just a bullshit disrespectful way of speaking about other supporters who in this case will be members and season ticket holders and, as I said in a previous post, comes across like people trying to come across like they are the "real" fans and everyone who disagrees with them somehow is not. I also suspect you don't get many casual supporters spending much time on supporters' forums come to that. Every single one of those 7, 600 fans at the Etihad is a fan and deserves a great experience and anyone who wants to stick a pretend crown on their head and declare themselves "King of the away games" is just making an fool out of themselves and showing a complete lack of respect to other committed supporters. 

Another deserving of a 'like'! :thumbsup:

Archived