IGNORED

Away game allocated seat etiquette

LondonBristolian

Found this picture of the reading game that I mentioned earlier. Can't see my block I was in because it was in the far left of the picture. Did notice quite a few empty seats where people were sitting down and people were standing in the stairways in the middle block, just shows the problems that we get at away games. If we had unreserved seating the standers could stand together with more success and maybe the atmosphere would be alot better. 

jmp_reading_v_bristol_city_rt0111.thumb.jpg.2cdc4cae6df2cf2d40929da416a8a334.jpg

2 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Found this picture of the reading game that I mentioned earlier. Can't see my block I was in because it was in the far left of the picture. Did notice quite a few empty seats where people were sitting down and people were standing in the stairways in the middle block, just shows the problems that we get at away games. If we had unreserved seating the standers could stand together with more success and maybe the atmosphere would be alot better. 

jmp_reading_v_bristol_city_rt0111.thumb.jpg.2cdc4cae6df2cf2d40929da416a8a334.jpg

Agreed TR, if there was, in future, the opportunity to choose seats beforehand, it would be ideal as long as the 10% drop in capacity was ok too. Unfortunately, in Tuesdays scenario we don't have the 'perfect scenario'. 

Maybe this is one for our new SLO to open discussions about? @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO ?

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Agreed TR, if there was, in future, the opportunity to choose seats beforehand, it would be ideal as long as the 10% drop in capacity was ok too. Unfortunately, in Tuesdays scenario we don't have the 'perfect scenario'. 

Maybe this is one for our new SLO to open discussions about? @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO ?

How would that work? Your just be left with loads of single seats all over the place etc. Then you would still get someone on the back row who wants to sit down etc.

21 minutes ago, city2015 said:

Did you ask specifically everyone who's seat you were stood in whether they were happy to give up there seat at the back and move to the front with a lesser view so you could stand in their seat? Did you check they were all able to sit together as a family? and they were happy with the 'enforced seat trade'?

And

Do they have an understanding of how things work at an away game? or as with the above point where they just intimidated by the masses of people acting as above and hence forced against their will to sit nearer the front?

Are stewards there to intentionally be difficult for you and prevent you from standing in someone else's seat or in the stair well? Or are they there trying to keep people safe and please the masses who perhaps didn't want to give up their allocated seat because someone else has decided they want the best seat in the house?

What a weird bunch of lies you've just came up with there. Particularly the point about me wanting the "best seat in the house". The WHOLE point of standing at the back is so that you don't get in people's way who want to sit down. I'd be on the front row if that's where people were standing and people were sitting at the back. Unfortunately that can't happen because in that scenario there will ALWAYS be someone who's sitting down that will have their view blocked by standers infront of them. Idiot.

As for the stewards comment, I know full well it's about "health and safety" but again, the point of going on the stairs is to NOT get in the way of those on the rows. If I take a tumble down the stairs that's my own fault.

6 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

How would that work? Your just be left with loads of single seats all over the place etc. Then you would still get someone on the back row who wants to sit down etc.

It doesn't work AP, hence my request for the thoughts of our SLO. 

This started as a discussion about Tuesday but has turned into something different. I don't think the idea of a sold out away section is too hard to understand TBH. In an away end with, say, 1000 empty seats, movement is not an issue but there are 0 empty seats this time and we need to act accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

What a weird bunch of lies you've just came up with there. Particularly the point about me wanting the "best seat in the house". The WHOLE point of standing at the back is so that you don't get in people's way who want to sit down. I'd be on the front row if that's where people were standing and people were sitting at the back. Unfortunately that can't happen because in that scenario there will ALWAYS be someone who's sitting down that will have their view blocked by standers infront of them. Idiot.

As for the stewards comment, I know full well it's about "health and safety" but again, the point of going on the stairs is to NOT get in the way of those on the rows. If I take a tumble down the stairs that's my own fault.

Firstly, as you'll see if you re-read my post again, I simply asked you a few questions regarding your opinion and questioned whether you've perhaps considered the other approach to your own, therefore I can not be lying as I've not said any facts.

In response to your best seat in the house comment, I don't believe this is why you want to take these seats, and I don't want to suggest that you're taking these seats because you think they are an upgrade from your allocated seats. However, I personally believe that the majority of people who watch a game in the away end (generally behind the goal) would prefer to be seated near the back as the parallax enables a better view of the game when the ball is down the far end of the pitch. 

The purpose of a forum is to discuss topics, so I don't see the need for name calling just because we have contrasting opinions, and I asked a question (no accusations) with some of my comments that you were valuing your own experience without consideration for others.

My point is, while I appreciate you're moving to the back to prevent blocking other peoples views, what about if the person who was allocated that seat at the back didn't want to have to move to a location with a lesser view and in fact wanted to enjoy a better view of the pitch by sitting and enjoying their seat at the back.

In the end it comes down to whether you feel your right to stand at a game rather than sit down like the majority of people want to (for your overall experience) should be done at the expense of forcing someone else to sit away from their (in my opinion) better view seat, without necessarily taking effort to ensure they can all sit together as a family or group of friends, and potentially reducing their overall experience.

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Well evidently they did think they could "steal" someone else's seats because they did. As it turns out I am going to the game with 4 mates and we're all split up anyway, just as we were at QPR and Villa. Both of those games were sold out and we were able to stand at the back together with no problems at all. Because at those games people tend to have more of an understanding of how things work at away games you see, as opposed to the 5,000 day trippers in attendance at the Etihad. I'll happily stand on the stairs anyway if the stewards allow it.

You are embarrassing and arrogant if you think 5,000 day trippers are going on Tuesday night. So what makes you the best Superfan we have then @Aaron-Bcfc

More than happy to retract my "day trippers" comment, given we had 5300 at West Brom the other year on a miserable day in January when we were struggling massively. Our support was also outstanding that day and I'm sure most of those people will be in attendance at the Etihad.

One thing that helped in that game was that 90% of people were stood, hopefully more of the same Tuesday...

1 hour ago, Threshing Red said:

Perhaps our fans could do this at man citys ground, would look good one tv!

Not bad considering it was only a Football League Trophy group stage game.

27 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

More than happy to retract my "day trippers" comment, given we had 5300 at West Brom the other year on a miserable day in January when we were struggling massively. Our support was also outstanding that day and I'm sure most of those people will be in attendance at the Etihad.

One thing that helped in that game was that 90% of people were stood, hopefully more of the same Tuesday...

Can't help thinking you might just be a day tripper fan yourself ?

The problem is that in an all seater stadium, at least officially, all seats are sold to be sat in. Whether people do or not, and how this is managed by the clubs, is a different matter but I doubt clubs are allowed to sell a standing section where it’s all seats

I think this game might cause a few issues because of the sell out.

In a perfect world, I wish our support all stood and sung all game. That obviously isn't very likely, and I respect that some people can't/don't want to stand all game.

I think the best possible compromise is the Stoke solution which I have raised on here numerous times. (Tickets are sold on the understanding that it's standing at the back, sitting at the front for away games).

It seems to be a hallmark of bigger clubs (probably down to routinely having total sold out away allocations) that it becomes an unwritten rule where the away end is unreserved and all standing.

With sell outs for us being rare, this isn't often the case and the unwritten rule doesn't exist as that culture hasn't developed.

It's a great sight - 3000+ away fans all stood singing all game.. my most memorable away games have been those blue moons whereby our support is all stood. Does seem to be a 'bigger club' thing though. In comparison when smaller clubs have sell outs and the majority sit it looks a bit square!

Wasn’t that bothered about getting my specific seat, and happy to sit or stand depending on the folks in front/behind (I’m pretty tall so am mindful of those behind me).

But then took at look at the view from my seat, and is so good now want to make sure I’m in it... :shifty:

BDE9FB96-34E3-4081-9E18-CFEE2AC2212E.jpeg

I was lucky in that the seats in front of me were empty.  This meant I could perch on the back of my seat and see most of the pitch, just standing when play came right down our end.  Glad of half time to sit properly though! There was plenty of space and although it was like watching a Subbuteo game, the view was good.

Nice stadium, I particularly liked the mini rails at the end of each row which helped me no end in getting up and down the steps.  Lesson for City @MKelly in the South Stand maybe?

9 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Loads of people were stood in the gang ways the stewards gave up in the end and the police came in and also gave up and just stood there the whole match.

i have never seen to many stewards and police at a game both inside and outside the ground was hundreds of them

On the so many stewards and police thing.

If we go up, number of stewards we had v

Manchester and Wolves would be the new norm IMO.

10 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

Nice stadium, I particularly liked the mini rails at the end of each row which helped me no end in getting up and down the steps.  Lesson for City @MKelly in the South Stand maybe?

Christ it was steep. 

I was up in Tier 3 row DD at the end of a row so could see the stairway easily - without those mini handrails, a lot of our fans wouldn't have caught themselves as they stumbled coming up and it'd have been drunken people rolling back down the again....

Archived