IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

I said earlier today on Twitter that, in my opinion, Lee needs to sign 2/3 massive signings to secure promotion to the Premier League. I don't mean foreigners that are unknown or do not know the division. And I don't mean Premier League fringe players who have hardly kicked a ball all season. I mean top Championship players that SL can prise away from other Championship clubs and who of course will fit into Lee's style of play! When looking to sign new players I always ask two simple questions...which opposition players have caused us the most problems this season? And can we pay them more than their current club? 

If you don't think Lee needs any new players then ask yourselves one question - if you were a Premier League manager who out of the current squad would you want to sign this transfer window? If you can only think of two then your squad definitely needs more strength and more quality.

I remember 10 years ago when Gary was sat in a very similar position and we signed a foreigner who didn't know the division and someone who didn't suit our style of play. Surely this is the time to invest into the squad in order to get to the promised land!

I seem to remember Nick Carle and Adebola making positive impacts, which is why I don't buy into all this stuff about making the same mistakes we did last time. You could argue we could have signed better players... but better than good is easier said than done.

Likelihood is we will make a couple of signings. Like last time, they'll make positive impacts but nothing revolutionary. Nothing to see here.

39 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So do you have any recommendations or inside knowledge? Top Championship players are unlikely to move unless their current prospects are poor and big money is involved. Eg Barry Bannan?

PS - we have a Transfer sub forum.

Yep my recommendation would be Gary Madine. He wouldn't cost that much from Bolton. And at this stage right now you can never have too many goals in the team! This is the time to spend big money as from a business prospective there's £200mil up for grabs in the next 4 months. This is also the time when your chief scouts and footballing brains should've already identified 5 key players that if the club were in a position near the top, they would target come this window. 

PS - Sorry am a newbie to this. Any idea how I move it?! 

47 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I said earlier today on Twitter that, in my opinion, Lee needs to sign 2/3 massive signings to secure promotion to the Premier League. I don't mean foreigners that are unknown or do not know the division. And I don't mean Premier League fringe players who have hardly kicked a ball all season. I mean top Championship players that SL can prise away from other Championship clubs and who of course will fit into Lee's style of play! When looking to sign new players I always ask two simple questions...which opposition players have caused us the most problems this season? And can we pay them more than their current club? 

If you don't think Lee needs any new players then ask yourselves one question - if you were a Premier League manager who out of the current squad would you want to sign this transfer window? If you can only think of two then your squad definitely needs more strength and more quality.

I remember 10 years ago when Gary was sat in a very similar position and we signed a foreigner who didn't know the division and someone who didn't suit our style of play. Surely this is the time to invest into the squad in order to get to the promised land!

Thanks Michael always good to hear from you. I think your rationale is sound, who do you think fits the criteria? 

Just to throw a few names out there from me - Bannan, Bettinelli or the QPR keeper, Hourihane, Sam Winnall, Alex Pritchard, and yes Jordan Hugill. 

1 minute ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Thanks Michael always good to hear from you. I think your rationale is sound, who do you think fits the criteria? 

Just to throw a few names out there from me - Bannan, Bettinelli or the QPR keeper, Hourihane, Sam Winnall, Alex Pritchard, and yes Jordan Hugill. 

Hi @Ser Davos Ciderworth Good to hear from you again too! Hope you had a good festive period. 

Hugill is a good shout. I literally also just said Gary Madine. I would definitely give more game time to Matty Taylor. From what I've seen of him so far he looks like a goal threat. 

But more importantly they must, and I repeat must have bundles of energy, would bite off their right hand to get into the Premier League and fit into the style of play Lee has got the lads playing.  

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Madine’s DNA would be questionable to say the least.  Good back-to-goal Striker, but a springboard to promotion???

Taylor is not good enough imho.  Be surprised if he’s still here in the summer.

Madine has his head screwed on now. 

Interesting to read your thoughts on Taylor. 

Madine is a very strange one.

I like Taylor a lot and think he suits us down to the ground. If he was signed from any other club he'd get a lot more time IMO.

Do think this is stick or twist for SL. Stick to the mantra that got us here in the first place, or say **** it and chuck a load of money at some very good players who can take us up. I've said before I'd like to see us in for Daniel Johnson if not Barry Bannan, but every team in the league would take him. Lasse Vibe from Brentford is another thats been touted and I'd be keen to see us pick up.

Be interested to know your opinions on Hugill @Michael McIndoe. From what everyones heard it seems like we're seriously considering him.

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Madine has his head screwed on now. 

Interesting to read your thoughts on Taylor. 

I’m pretty well documented on my thoughts but overall i’m unconvinced by Taylor.  I like his workrate, I like how he gets between ball and opponent, but I think with ball at feet he’s wasteful and is a bit ‘head-down’, missing opportunities to play others in.

i know that sounds bonkers based on his pass to Smith v Man Utd, but all players at this level, have that within them, but how often do they pull it off?  In Taylor’s case not enough.  I also think he snatches in front of goal.  Whether a run in the team might help, who knows.  Personally I think Woodrow is a better option, but LJ knows different!

Both are way behind Diedhiou (once fit).

Back to Madine.  Forgetting previous misdemeanours, i’m One who actually thought he would’ve been a good replacement for Wilbraham in Winter 2015 when we were struggling in our first season up.  Interesting that you say his head’s screwed on now, because he’s been key to Bolton;s recent upturn.

All about opinions!

For what it’s worth, I thought you were bloody good for us.

18 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Yep my recommendation would be Gary Madine. He wouldn't cost that much from Bolton. And at this stage right now you can never have too many goals in the team! This is the time to spend big money as from a business prospective there's £200mil up for grabs in the next 4 months. This is also the time when your chief scouts and footballing brains should've already identified 5 key players that if the club were in a position near the top, they would target come this window. 

PS - Sorry am a newbie to this. Any idea how I move it?! 

Is this the McIndoe school accounting and business management? Spend big because you might make a lot back. You should know this but football clubs aren't about making money, as soon as they get that £200m there are loads of footballers and agents that want to take it off you.

MA and LJ have already stated that they try to work 2 windows in advance for identifying players to target.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I like Taylor a lot and think he suits us down to the ground. If he was signed from any other club he'd get a lot more time IMO.

Do think this is stick or twist for SL. Stick to the mantra that got us here in the first place, or say **** it and chuck a load of money at some very good players who can take us up. I've said before I'd like to see us in for Daniel Johnson if not Barry Bannan, but every team in the league would take him. Lasse Vibe from Brentford is another thats been touted and I'd be keen to see us pick up.

Be interested to know your opinions on Hugill @Michael McIndoe. From what everyones heard it seems like we're seriously considering him.

For £300k it was a reasonable squad signing - but we need better now.

Vibe would be my choice, if we could bring him in.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

For £300k it was a reasonable squad signing - but we need better now.

Vibe would be my choice, if we could bring him in.

I've often had to stick up for MT on here, I think he's a very very good player but perhaps if we're looking at reaching the PL we could bring in better, as you say. Think he has a future at this level, put it that way.

Think Vibe would be a top, top signing. Don't know how realistic it is though.

33 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Yep my recommendation would be Gary Madine. He wouldn't cost that much from Bolton. And at this stage right now you can never have too many goals in the team! This is the time to spend big money as from a business prospective there's POTENTIALLY £200mil up for grabs in the next 4 months. This is also the time when your chief scouts and footballing brains should've already identified 5 key players that if the club were in a position near the top, they would target come this window. 

I thought this needed a slight addition MM. We can't go 'sh1t or bust' because if we did and failed, we would be royally screwed! I guess it' finding a balance between going for it and causing future issues. It also depends on who, if anyone, is leaving.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The only reason I said Madine is because you must put at least 10 throw ins into the box a game. So over the course of 20 odd games Madine would probably get you 10 goals. Also it would stop you keep putting Flint upfront while still keeping an aerial presence and without upsetting the team shape too much. 

I think now is the time for SL to throw in crazy money to get promotion. When are you going to get another chance? It's been 10 years since BC were last in this position! 

I think Hugill would be a good signing. I'm not too sure Bannan is better than what you've currently got. Was Patterson injured last week when he got taken off against Wolves? He is the player you should be building your whole team around. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m pretty well documented on my thoughts but overall i’m unconvinced by Taylor.  I like his workrate, I like how he gets between ball and opponent, but I think with ball at feet he’s wasteful and is a bit ‘head-down’, missing opportunities to play others in.

i know that sounds bonkers based on his pass to Smith v Man Utd, but all players at this level, have that within them, but how often do they pull it off?  In Taylor’s case not enough.  I also think he snatches in front of goal.  Whether a run in the team might help, who knows.  Personally I think Woodrow is a better option, but LJ knows different!

Both are way behind Diedhiou (once fit).

Back to Madine.  Forgetting previous misdemeanours, i’m One who actually thought he would’ve been a good replacement for Wilbraham in Winter 2015 when we were struggling in our first season up.  Interesting that you say his head’s screwed on now, because he’s been key to Bolton;s recent upturn.

All about opinions!

For what it’s worth, I thought you were bloody good for us.

Thanks for the compliment @Davefevs Much appreciated. 

I think Taylor does need a run in the team. Lee said he's going to play him on Saturday. Let's see how he gets on. 

IMO the reason I suggested Madine was that Patterson's delivery from crosses is extremely good and I appreciate from set plays Flint is dangerous, but in open play you need more of an aerial presence in the box, and you've got that kind of quality. Remembering the last 10 games of the Championship season will be extremely tight and I think somebody like Madine would nick you a few important goals.  

1 minute ago, Michael McIndoe said:

The only reason I said Madine is because you must put at least 10 throw ins into the box a game. So over the course of 20 odd games Madine would probably get you 10 goals. Also it would stop you keep putting Flint upfront while still keeping an aerial presence and without upsetting the team shape too much. 

I think now is the time for SL to throw in crazy money to get promotion. When are you going to get another chance? It's been 10 years since BC were last in this position! 

I think Hugill would be a good signing. I'm not too sure Bannan is better than what you've currently got. Was Patterson injured last week when he got taken off against Wolves? He is the player you should be building your whole team around. 

Sooner we stop that shit the better.

Agree RE Paterson, the boys a class act and is showing as much. Wonder how you complement a player like that though?

With Djuric and Diedhiou about to return I wonder if Madine would see much game time. I'll have to take your word for him being a sensible individual, but I can't see him starting alongside MD or FD, unless theres more to his game than meets the eye.

One question as well if you don't mind, do you ever regret not making the PL here? Is it something you look back on and wonder what might've been?

17 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Is this the McIndoe school accounting and business management? Spend big because you might make a lot back. You should know this but football clubs aren't about making money, as soon as they get that £200m there are loads of footballers and agents that want to take it off you.

MA and LJ have already stated that they try to work 2 windows in advance for identifying players to target.

Very funny mate :clap:. Trust me when I tell you that there is not a person on that board who doesn't want that £200m!! Or more importantly get BC into the big time, but you've been here before. Exactly 10 years ago and IMO the club didn't go for it. I appreciate MA and Lee have stated they try to work 2 windows in advance... but that's impossible in reality because a football club's position in the league will usually determine what they spend in the transfer windows. I can understand why SL didn't spend ridiculous amounts of money in the summer after last season however with 2 points off an automatic spot with 20 games to go, the squad is extremely thin which is why Lee has to rest players for Saturday's match. In the game against Wolves last week I noticed that their bench was a lot stronger. I would be looking to sign 5 new players and throw £30m at it if I was the chairman.   

4 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Very funny mate :clap:. Trust me when I tell you that there is not a person on that board who doesn't want that £200m!! Or more importantly get BC into the big time, but you've been here before. Exactly 10 years ago and IMO the club didn't go for it. I appreciate MA and Lee have stated they try to work 2 windows in advance... but that's impossible in reality because a football club's position in the league will usually determine what they spend in the transfer windows. I can understand why SL didn't spend ridiculous amounts of money in the summer after last season however with 2 points off an automatic spot with 20 games to go, the squad is extremely thin which is why Lee has to rest players for Saturday's match. In the game against Wolves last week I noticed that their bench was a lot stronger. I would be looking to sign 5 new players and throw £30m at it if I was the chairman.   

Take it you weren't a fan of Dele then Michael. Interestingly who would you have signed in that January of 2008 and did we go for anyone else?

28 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I've often had to stick up for MT on here, I think he's a very very good player but perhaps if we're looking at reaching the PL we could bring in better, as you say. Think he has a future at this level, put it that way.

Think Vibe would be a top, top signing. Don't know how realistic it is though.

I've not seen enough of Vibe @ZiderEyed @Davefevs of Vibe to have an opinion on him. But 6 goals isn't a bad return from the wing at this stage of the season. Will keep an eye for him. 

27 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I thought this needed a slight addition MM. We can't go 'sh1t or bust' because if we did and failed, we would be royally screwed! I guess it' finding a balance between going for it and causing future issues. It also depends on who, if anyone, is leaving.

That's a good point @Ska Junkie What do you think? Flint, Bryan or both? Surely can't sell any of your players at this stage of the season given the position unless they're loaned back to the club. 

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Sooner we stop that shit the better.

Agree RE Paterson, the boys a class act and is showing as much. Wonder how you complement a player like that though?

With Djuric and Diedhiou about to return I wonder if Madine would see much game time. I'll have to take your word for him being a sensible individual, but I can't see him starting alongside MD or FD, unless theres more to his game than meets the eye.

One question as well if you don't mind, do you ever regret not making the PL here? Is it something you look back on and wonder what might've been?

Madine has scored 9 goals with 5 assists for Bolton in a struggling team. 

No of course I don't mind @ZiderEyed Yes part of me regrets losing the play-off final but I don't believe we lost out on the chance to get in the PL in the play-offs. It was in January when we changed our style of play. 

Remembering back to the Palace play-off away game, you went down to what seemed a great tackle in the box, and started beating the ground in frustration, camera 1,2,3,4 and five backed up the refs decision only the last angle showed the fact that the defender never touched that ball, lucky it didn't cost us on the day...

PS. Can you still finish the bleep test??

11 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Obviously SL and the board would love Prem football, be the owner also want sustainability so I think there will be a balance. The guys that have come in over 3 windows that LJ wanted were all talented but not the finished article, and almost to a man they have blossomed this year. That scouting style won't help with promotion now, so Championship ready players are needed but there is no way he will throw £30m at it. My guess is 2-3 permanent and the same in loans, allowing for availability. Wolves have taken a risk with Financial fair play and look like winning, not sure we'll do the same.

4 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

That's a good point @Ska Junkie What do you think? Flint, Bryan or both? Surely can't sell any of your players at this stage of the season given the position unless they're loaned back to the club. 

I'd be shocked if we sold either, unless a ridiculous bid came in. No pressure to sell so they would have to be offered a lot !

17 minutes ago, City Mike said:

Why don’t you put some money in Michael mc..? You must of stashed some away when you ripped everyone off.

You might want to watch what you write mate. You can't hide behind your IP address and make defamatory comments - I have an extremely good legal team. 

And anyway you can't be a true BC fan because who would write to an ex-player who helped your team to finish in its highest ever position in modern football and who also coincidentally started the most league games that season for your team? 

20 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Take it you weren't a fan of Dele then Michael. Interestingly who would you have signed in that January of 2008 and did we go for anyone else?

I'm not aware that we went for anyone else. I most certainly would not have pulled a player from Turkey who couldn't score a goal for us. 

I like Dele! He just didn't suit our style of play. I felt it was panic buy to try to help us get over the line. At the time I would've only signed players who you can't get the ball off in a phonebox and who've got bundles of energy. 

Archived