IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

35 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure we'll be in the top 4. I was hoping to have reinforcements in before the weekend, could have had a run Vs Watford.  I think we could drop before we make another push, as players come in and come back from injuries.

Think you make a valid point about players coming back from injury. I don't want to say it but I don't think the cup runs are going to help your league position...I don't know if SL is a bit shocked at how well Lee is doing so far this season but they now have a month to bring in some new players. 

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Another way I guess you could look at it.  The model (starting to hate that word) that they have set up, buy young , improve and sell big. Could cover the spend . Say we spent £15m , then I think a lot of us would expect to lose Flint and maybe one/two others, that could cover most of the outlay and save us from FFP.

Now, that makes a lot of sense. We've got assets that are coveted so we're able to cover the outlay if we didn't make it!

Good shout 1960maaan. 

37 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Hello Michael, good to hear from you fella.

We chatted a few times in Jaspers back in the day while you waited for your takeaway but not seen you around for a while :dunno:. Hope you are well.

Madine is an interesting shout. I think we've more chance of landing him than some of the other names being mentioned (PNE can make the play offs so why would they let their main striker go?) and I would certainly go for someone with the physicality to lead the line rather than another player in the Bobby Reid mould. I know we already have Duric and Diedhiou but who knows when they'll be back up to speed and, if so, for how long. 

With Leko gone and Eliasson not ready yet, we've only Brownhill and Paterson for the wide positions so we need competition there

In centre mid we can forget O'Neil and Hegeler, leaving us with just Pack and Smith, so another body is needed there too.

That's 3 minimum for me and, like you say, all of them need to fit in straight away and have the right attitude ie workrate, defending from the front, from first whistle to last. If all 3 can bring goals to the table too we have a great chance of doing something special this season. 

How you doing mate. Hope all is well and you had a good Christmas. 

I think the most important thing is whoever Lee brings in, they have to be firing already in the Championship. Not players from abroad. Not players with potential to develop over the years. But players with talent hitting the back of the net at the moment. Signings I would be looking for are players in the bottom half of the Championship but have good stats at scoring and assisting goals. E.g. players that are standing out in struggling teams. 

4 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Think you make a valid point about players coming back from injury. I don't want to say it but I don't think the cup runs are going to help your league position...I don't know if SL is a bit shocked at how well Lee is doing so far this season but they now have a month to bring in some new players. 

I don't know about SL, but a lot of the rest of us are :clapping:

We have a month, but to make the most of a fantastic start I think we need a couple in through the door soon. We have a little over a week before (potentially) a very winnable game Vs Norwich (I'll forget Watford and Man C will take care of itself) , if the rumour is true there should be at least one in by the end of next week. To my mind the earlier the better, just to take a bit of the strain .
If we wait until the end of the month for players to come in , and no one due back from injury , we could really struggle with fatigue . 

41 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It can't be all one way MM. We can't just spend huge sums because we may not succeed in getting promotion. Where the balance between frugality and spending is is way beyond me but it is a concern. 

Out of the 3 potential outgoings, I would say only Joe B is irreplaceable but, for me, it's more about the player and whether he wants to stay. We don'treally want to lose any of them TBH.

I completely understand. The question I would ask then is do you think the current squad is able to get promoted to the PL this season? 

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yes. You would be forever think ‘what if’, if not. The club is a much sounder, richer, more stable & more attractive state that 08. Say we spent £15m and lost in the play off final, we would bounce back better now than if we spent big in 08 and still didn’t go up. 

£15m might be manageable, might need to trim elsewhere or in the summer.  It’s talk of 2 or 3 big spends, which to me sounds like £20m plus.  To me that would need to be financed by someone important going.

26 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment Pete. If that's what we COULD spend without incurring penalties, it makes perfect sense. I assume if we lose say Flinty for £10M, that becomes a potential spend of £25M on having a go? That's serious money!!

Perhaps we are going to spend the money we get for getting to the league Cup final!!

1 minute ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I completely understand. The question I would ask then is do you think the current squad is able to get promoted to the PL this season? 

Injury free, they could do but 'injury free' just isn't gonna happen MM. There are no guarantees either way but, as 1960smaaan said, we could spend £XXM knowing we either make it, making the investment insignificant, or sell one of our coveted players to cover that investment.

Suddenly, I feel more comfortable with 'going for it' as I hadn't thought of it in that way. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

£15m might be manageable, might need to trim elsewhere or in the summer.  It’s talk of 2 or 3 big spends, which to me sounds like £20m plus.  To me that would need to be financed by someone important going.

Realistically if we spent £20m plus and it saw us go up then financially it wouldn't matter. If we spent it and didn't go up then we have players in Flint and Bryan who would quite possibly go anyway who could be sold to balance FFP. My point is we don't necessarily have to sell now to spend relatively big in the market.

42 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The whole “throw loads of money and gamble” debate is always a fascinating one. Say we spent another £3/4m that January, which would’ve been big money then, and it got us over the line. 

Instead, we spent £700k. Then, threw money season after season, got into an enormous downward spiral, and ****** it. So, really, we didn’t gamble, but still lost. The amount of money we spent on fees & wages on James, Baldock, Davies, Kilkenny etc over the years would’ve been a damn site more than if we’d have just brought in another 2 or 3 in Jan 08, rather than go through 3 manager pay offs, and about 9 transfer windows going back to where we were in the first place. That will be in SL’s mind too, no doubt. 

@Michael McIndoe did you receive your Xmas card from Mr Carle last week? :hug:

@petehinton No I didn't receive a Xmas card or a birthday from Nick Carle. It must've got lost in the post. :dunno:

You're right financially, if you totalled up all that money we could've just signed two unbelievably good players in Jan 08 and we all would've been in the PL! Let's hope SL digs deep and makes it happen...! 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Realistically if we spent £20m plus and it saw us go up then financially it wouldn't matter. If we spent it and didn't go up then we have players in Flint and Bryan who would quite possibly go anyway who could be sold to balance FFP. My point is we don't necessarily have to sell now to spend relatively big in the market.

Yeah, agree, £15m (or your £20m) is something to work around in the summer re FFP

It’s a tricky one, and frankly easy for us to spend somebody else’s money. We have a model, and spending even £25m does not g’tee promotion. I suspect big fee players expect big wages. Many teams regret chasing the dream, and then it bites them on the arse.

A balanced risk right now might be to supplement any signings with one or two really high quaility loans, that will cost a fair bit but are time limited?

2 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Thanks Michael always good to hear from you. I think your rationale is sound, who do you think fits the criteria? 

Just to throw a few names out there from me - Bannan, Bettinelli or the QPR keeper, Hourihane, Sam Winnall, Alex Pritchard, and yes Jordan Hugill. 

The qpr keeper Alex smithies lives next door to my wife's sister in windsor.

Great keeper,there player of the year last season.I,'ll ask him if he fancies playing for a team going places rather than hollowheads mid table mediocrity

19 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

How you doing mate. Hope all is well and you had a good Christmas. 

I think the most important thing is whoever Lee brings in, they have to be firing already in the Championship. Not players from abroad. Not players with potential to develop over the years. But players with talent hitting the back of the net at the moment. Signings I would be looking for are players in the bottom half of the Championship but have good stats at scoring and assisting goals. E.g. players that are standing out in struggling teams. 

I completely agree actually.

Ps-sorry for saying in your last thread that you should be in jail. Please don't set your brief on me!! :mf_sleep:

39 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

I don't think the signing of Adebola in 2008 was an issue to be honest. We were crying out for such a player as we were winning games by the odd goal often hanging on and we needed the ball to stick up front more. I also believe that from January onwards, he scored the 2nd highest amount of goals in the league so he definitely added something. Perhaps you're right Michael in that we built our general play around him too much.

On potential signings that year, I thought at the time we should have been in for Sylvan Ebanks Blake. I think he was the only player to score more than Dele from January onwards. He went to wolves for 1.5 Mil which looking back on it was peanuts compared to what was at stake. Perhaps his wage demands were astronomical and would have upset the dressing room, something LJ may have in mind this window?

I'm interested to know your take on Lee Trundle Michael. He came in on a big fee and by all accounts wages to match. Did you expect more from him or do you feel GJ didn't set the team up to get the best out of him? I seem to recall GJ shuffling the starting strikers every other game that season and I thought he just needed a decent run to get going properly, a bit like Taylor at the moment. 

Also I'd like to thank you on being in the most successful team in terms of league position since I've been supporting City. Nobody can argue you never gave 100% and you had decent ability to go with it. 

@pride of the west Thanks very much for your compliment. 

With no disrespect to Dele, it changed the dynamics of the team so much. The defenders started going long and bypassed all the midfielders which is where a lot of the creativity and goals came from that season. Remember Byfield was the top goal scorer that 07/08 season with 8 goals. If you looked at the passing stats they dramatically dropped from January onwards, when in the first half of the season we were in the top 3 passing teams in the division. We only won, one of the last 8 matches. It wasn't a team that was getting stronger. 

Re: Trundle. Gary always demanded our strikers hunt down defenders when they were on the ball. The only problem was Trunds didn't have that kind of energy to get around the pitch. Cardiovascular wise he was one of the worst on the team. So when Gary asked him to run around more, to Trunds' credit he did try, but by the time he got to the ball he was knackered. He was a good player but you needed to just give Trunds the ball on the edge of the box and let him do his magic. He's never been one for running the channels and chasing people down. Which, I have to say baffled me when Gary signed him and asked him to play like that! 

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, agree, £15m (or your £20m) is something to work around in the summer re FFP

I don’t see FFP as that big a problem-sign a £10m player on a 5 year contract and that’s just a £2m hit to the calculation this year.  Wages may be a bigger concern but can’t see someone like Hugill being on more than £20k pw.  Given we had a strong year last year (admittedly through one offs) and the increased revenue I think we have a fair scope for investment this window.

1 hour ago, Michael McIndoe said:

You might want to watch what you write mate. You can't hide behind your IP address and make defamatory comments - I have an extremely good legal team. 

And anyway you can't be a true BC fan because who would write to an ex-player who helped your team to finish in its highest ever position in modern football and who also coincidentally started the most league games that season for your team? 

Does anyone actually believe this is Michael mcindoe? 

5 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Completely different positions. One was a supposed attacking midfielder. The other was a player who was in the team to keep things ticking over. I know Lee did his job...

Yet he got a huge amount of grief from supporters.

7 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Completely different positions. One was a supposed attacking midfielder. The other was a player who was in the team to keep things ticking over. I know Lee did his job...

How good was Basso. The most inspirational player I've ever seen at AG. The end of GJ was when he turned down that contract and froze himself out. 

45 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Really interesting to read that you thought the transfers bought in the Jan window in the 07/08 season weren't the right ones. I appreciate it doesn't relate to the question you've asked, but do you think that had a big psychological effect on yourself and the squad as well as just effecting the style of football the club attempted to play?

For me it's important our transfer policy isn't effected by the possibility of getting into the prem. It's got us into our current position and can take us further. I think buying big and disrupting what we're trying to do could actually be detrimental. You mentioned changing the style on the pitch didn't work, I think suddenly changing how we operate off the pitch in the market could disrupt us on the pitch also. I hope that being in this position now allows us to bring in young players who can already be effective at this level, rather than the likes of Brownhill and O'Dowda who needed a season before perform at the levels they are now. 

I think it annoyed a lot of players. We'd developed a pattern of play that was working and when you change certain players, if they don't maintain or enhance that pattern then in theory you're starting again. It takes time to learn the best strengths of your teammates. If your teammates strengths don't match yours then inevitably you're not going to win a lot of matches. If you take 07/08 as a benchmark, the stats from the first half of the season were completely different from the second half. 

If I was currently in the BC dressing room I would be praying the chairman bought in some top quality, not only to keep us on our toes for our own positions but to help me and the rest of squad into the PL. I've never quite understood how the idea of buying big disrupts the dressing room. Personally I've always wanted to play with the best players, and those players tend to come with a big price tag.  

52 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Always felt the player we should have broke the bank for that January was Ebanks-Blake. 

Do players ever talk about who they would want to join the group? Who would you have wanted back then?

Most of the players that are signed tend to come from recommendations from players/coaches. Gary used to pull me in a lot and ask about certain players. I wish he'd asked me about Nick Carle beforehand though :grr:

I would've signed Gavin Williams the season before. 

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

Most of the players that are signed tend to come from recommendations from players/coaches. Gary used to pull me in a lot and ask about certain players. I wish he'd asked me about Nick Carle beforehand though :grr:

I would've signed Gavin Williams the season before. 

What was the problem with Carle?

Was always a fan of Michael Mcindoe at City. 

Not so keen on his stand up comedy, bit too middle class for me :mf_sleep:

Hate to say it but Nick Carle was always a popular player too. If he comes on the forum it would get really interesting! 

What would your style of management be MM? Hairdryer from time to time?

Archived