IGNORED

New signings needed for promotion?

Michael McIndoe

18 hours ago, headhunter said:

Michael, going back to that play off final day it was clearly a blow when Jamie McCombe was ruled out through sickness on the morning of the game but for me the game was lost by GJ's substitution choice when Bradley went off.

Rather than move Carey to right back [a position he was accustomed to] and bring on Vasko to partner Fontaine in the middle he moved Elliott to right back and bought LJ on. That disrupted the midfield and saw Elliott play a position that by my recollection he had only played once for Millwall in the 2004 Cup Final!!

Was that how you saw it?

I have to agree with you in relation to Marvin. I wouldn't have taken our strongest centre midfielder and put him right back. But that's my point about how much depth we didn't have in the squad. In the most important game of the season we didn't have a full back on the bench that could go straight in. 

As for Jamie, of course his height has always caused defences a lot of problems so it would have been interesting to be able to throw him upfront in the last 10/15 minutes. If I'd been Gary on the day I would've started Ivan and Daz. 

18 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree to a point yes and do agree that jan 08 we should have strengthened better than we did. I'm just not sure of the players you've mentioned. The facts are though the club is run completely different to 10 years ago. The philosophy of bringing player s in young , hungry and with lots of potential is much more appealing to me than chasing the dream that lansdown tried in 08\9 09\10 that ended up with crippling wage bill and a inflated squad of players that quite honestly couldn't give a shit about the shirt. I know this thread was hypothetical i'd just rather do it the way we are

I appreciate that. It can be done the way you've stated but I just personally feel it will take you a lot longer. The philosophy of bringing in hungry, young talent I think will probably suit Lee better. 

17 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Hi Michael, great to read your comments and thanks for sharing them.

Was there a virus going through the team before that 2008 Final? I remember hearing the team being read out at Wembley and my heart sank a bit when Jamie McCombe was missing. He had an unbelievable season, how much do you think that and the virus affected us on the day?

Thank you @Kingswood Robin.

I don't think the virus affected us. I think the 3 key things that did were Marv moving to right back, Brad getting concussion and having to go off and signing Nick Carle. :grr:

17 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Having been concussed while playing football I know that it took all my reserves of determination just to give the impression that I was OK and convey an impression that I was able to function normally, whilst in reality I couldn't even remember the name of a single teammate for a good five minutes and, scarily, had I thought of it, I doubt I would have remembered my own name! So, I have every sympathy for Bradley Orr. And, yes, he was in no man's land through no fault of his own.

It's great to be able to question a former player in this manner and mine your thoughts. I considered you an integral part of our successful period anyway, but this has enhanced my appreciation of your input. Respect to you, Michael and I will be buying your book.

You're completely right it was through no fault of Brad's for being concussed. 

I greatly appreciate you comments. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I appreciate that. It can be done the way you've stated but I just personally feel it will take you a lot longer. The philosophy of bringing in hungry, young talent I think will probably suit Lee better. 

It would take longer but no rush imo . The championship is a brilliant league and agree the philosophy suits lee. You only have to look how much bobby, joe, Callum , josh, and pato have progressed  in the last year to see he’s obviously a very good coach and man manager of young players. 

Weve had enough journeymen players to last a lifetime that’s bled the club dry . Not blaming them it’s a short career and the club was seen as a soft touch Year’s ago. Thankfully that’s all changed. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Michael, you’ve answered some really interesting questions, but let’s face it, we’ve all pussy-footed around the real question that all city fans want to know the answer to...

Would you rather fight a duck sized horse, or a horse sized duck?

No no no. That is just wrong.

It is 100 duck sized horses or one horse sized duck!

Otherwise it is not an entirely sensible and serious question!:mf_sleep:

@Michael McIndoe

You said earlier in this thread that once fit, you think you could possibly do a job in the Championship. So will you be asking LJ for a trial?

Also, reading those 'secret footballer*' columns, there seems to be an impression (sometimes voiced), that fans don't understand football as they have never played at that particular level, would you agree?

*is one individual the secret footballer, of is it the thoughts and anecdotes of many?

15 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

@Michael McIndoe

You said earlier in this thread that once fit, you think you could possibly do a job in the Championship. So will you be asking LJ for a trial?

Also, reading those 'secret footballer*' columns, there seems to be an impression (sometimes voiced), that fans don't understand football as they have never played at that particular level, would you agree?

*is one individual the secret footballer, of is it the thoughts and anecdotes of many?

Thought it was all but confirmed to be just David Kitson.

18 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

@Michael McIndoe

You never know! Would love to play in the stadium now. 

No I disagree. I think I said earlier in this thread that some fans are more knowledgable than players but they just can't get on the pitch. You tend to know which clubs have more knowledgable fans; for intstance if I used to try to make a pass down the Gate, and it got intercepted the BC fans could see what I was trying to do from a distance. Rather than groan they'd cheer because they knew I was trying to do the right thing. 

2 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

No I disagree. I think I said earlier in this thread that some fans are more knowledgable than players but they just can't get on the pitch. You tend to know which clubs have more knowledgable fans; for intstance if I used to try to make a pass down the Gate, and it got intercepted the BC fans could see what I was trying to do from a distance. Rather than groan they'd cheer because they knew I was trying to do the right thing. 

You’ve played for a few clubs now - did you notice any marked differences in intelligence from one fan base to the next?

im thinking Doncaster here tbf

3 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

I think you're being very kind Michael. Might be typical of everywhere, but in my experience Bristol City fans seem particularly impatient and unforgiving. Even passing backwards seems to be met with dissatisfied groans from the crowd. Maybe it's just where I sit in the Dolman.

4 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

You’ve played for a few clubs now - did you notice any marked differences in intelligence from one fan base to the next?

im thinking Doncaster here tbf

To be fair to all 10 of my previous clubs I would have to say the fans have been very knowledgable in the way they want their football played. That was a contributing factor to why I signed for certain clubs. 

12 minutes ago, Michael McIndoe said:

To be fair to all 10 of my previous clubs I would have to say the fans have been very knowledgable in the way they want their football played. That was a contributing factor to why I signed for certain clubs. 

What you're trying to say here Michael is that Gasheads are thick

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think you're being very kind Michael. Might be typical of everywhere, but in my experience Bristol City fans seem particularly impatient and unforgiving. Even passing backwards seems to be met with dissatisfied groans from the crowd. Maybe it's just where I sit in the Dolman.

The point I am trying to make about fans football intelligence is; can they see and understand what a player is trying to do even if it doesn't come off? Most people have played football, or have been to a lot of games and have their understanding of how football should be played. Fans tend to pick their favourite players based upon when they watch a game - is the player doing what the fans can see more often than not. That's my personal view of football intelligence ! I've been to certain grounds around the country when an opposition player I felt has done extremely well but to my amazement his own fans are disgruntled. I ask myself what can they see that I can't see.  

Archived