IGNORED

Man City Team for Semi Final

Marlborough Red

Lots of talk on our Team selection  for Watford,   general consensus is to play the youngsters  and rest most if not all of our senior player, allowing 8 days rest before the Semi Final.

Pep has already complained about fixture congestion and players recovery times  despite the size of his squad. What team do we think Man City will put out against us.?

They have a home 3rd round Cup Tie v Burnley on Saturday which could be a difficult game for them. given Burnley's good away form. They will  want to win  this  so I think will probably play a strong team  to avoid a replay. The Saturday after the Semi Final Man City are away to Liverpool another tough game they will not want to lose so again a strong team on the field.

This means  that the first leg of the semi final could see a repeat of all their other games in the competition when they have rested the entire first team . If they do this believe we have a great chance to get a result. Both Wolves  and Leicester held them in 90 minutes so backed by our vociferous following  we can do this too. Be fantastic to get a result and bring them back to a packed Ashton Gate for the deciding game.

On the other hand if they decide to play the first team against us , promises to be a very difficult night keeping a clean sheet against their high scoring forwards.

Whatever team they pick, will be rammed full of internationals and will have cost them hundreds of millions. 

They couldn’t field a “weak” team if they tried, however much it might be changed. 

I wonder if the Aguero’s etc will be used to kill the tie off, or will be rested and saved for the second leg, if they are needed..? 

I reckon they’ll rest quite a few for their home leg. They have two bites of the cherry with the second leg to come so an easy decision for Pep to do this in my view. If it doesn’t go to plan for them, they can bring on their biggest guns as subs or in the second leg. The Man C home leg tickets are cheaper too which may also support this way of thinking. 

Steele

Wright Flint Baker Maggers

Patto Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Reid

Assuming all are fit and available.

Surely we would not want to play this one any other way, would we?

I for one would be happy to bring them back to the gate at 1-1 or 0-0.

A bit worried that their wide men will give our full backs a lot of problems though. Hoping they will rest the best and Jesus is out of course.

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Steele

Reid

A bit worried that their wide men will give our full backs a lot of problems though.

Swap Steele for FF, and switch Pack and Smith around, and that would be the team I think LJ will pick.

13 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I would imagine that they ( and Burnley ) will put out weaker teams for the FA cup tie. So it’s anyones guess what team we play against!!

Should they put out a weaker side against Burnley, I can't imagine they will against us too.

I'm not particularly fussed either way - What will be will be, I look forward to it. 

27 minutes ago, BCFC_Mike said:

Should they put out a weaker side against Burnley, I can't imagine they will against us too.

I'm not particularly fussed either way - What will be will be, I look forward to it. 

I think they still will play a weaker team - or at least rest key players. With De Bruyne and Jesus out I suspect Aguero and Silva will be rested, very probably Sterling and Sane too. Whatever line up they choose will still be quality though...

12 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think they still will play a weaker team - or at least rest key players. With De Bruyne and Jesus out I suspect Aguero and Silva will be rested, very probably Sterling and Sane too. Whatever line up they choose will still be quality though...

De Bruyne started against Watford after the Puncheon challenge - haven't heard he's been sidelined since? 

3 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Lots of talk on our Team selection  for Watford,   general consensus is to play the youngsters  and rest most if not all of our senior player, allowing 8 days rest before the Semi Final.

Pep has already complained about fixture congestion and players recovery times  despite the size of his squad. What team do we think Man City will put out against us.?

They have a home 3rd round Cup Tie v Burnley on Saturday which could be a difficult game for them. given Burnley's good away form. They will  want to win  this  so I think will probably play a strong team  to avoid a replay. The Saturday after the Semi Final Man City are away to Liverpool another tough game they will not want to lose so again a strong team on the field.

This means  that the first leg of the semi final could see a repeat of all their other games in the competition when they have rested the entire first team . If they do this believe we have a great chance to get a result. Both Wolves  and Leicester held them in 90 minutes so backed by our vociferous following  we can do this too. Be fantastic to get a result and bring them back to a packed Ashton Gate for the deciding game.

On the other hand if they decide to play the first team against us , promises to be a very difficult night keeping a clean sheet against their high scoring forwards.

Pep will play first 11 v us. Try and batter us and then play kids in the 2nd leg. 

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Steele

Reid

A bit worried that their wide men will give our full backs a lot of problems though. Hoping they will rest the best and Jesus is out of course.

Thank God that Jesus is not in their team too

2 hours ago, Greedo said:

Imagine they’ve fullbacks worth more than our stadium. 

I reckon we’ll do ‘em

you reds!

They paid more money than our stadium just to be able to give him a £130,000 per week contract for 5 years (33.8m).

Archived