IGNORED

The official Watford FC v Bristol City FC in the FA Cup Match Day Thread

Septic Peg

Good morrow ladies and gents.

It's FA Cup day and round 3 where ourselves, other Champ clubs and the Prem teams enter for the first time.

And when Watford came out as our opponents, the City faithful took the piss and asked are we home or away in reference to the diabolical shambles that was the Carabao Cup draw a few months back. Fortunately, the FA Cup isn't drawn by a bunch of idiots and we are away so it's a trip back along the M4 to Vicarage Road. 

Watford FC is in a cockney shithole and their most famous fan (and ex owner) is Elton John.

I can't remember what I wrote re Watford last time (I think the thread is in the match day archive so have a gander at your leisure) so instead I'm going to discuss the 1997-98 season. 

Back in March 1997, Joe "Jaws" Jordan left after two seasons of trying to get us back to Div 1. We needed a new man to make the leap back, so who better than ex-gashead John Ward whom had taken them to a play off final and burst their transfer record with that Andy Tilson purchase (£370k). 

A controversial appointment for some and piss boiled on both sides of the river...

The grumbles continued as our season began with a draw against Grimsby and a loss to Northampton. There were also losses v Fulham and Wrexham in September and finally against our old cup nemesis, Gillingham in early October.

But this was the turning point. 

From there on in, we went on a 15 match unbeaten streak including a win over Rovers, now playing under Skeletor and now back in Bristol at the Mem. Sitting pretty in the top part of the table, it was Fulham that ended the streak just after Christmas that year.

In early 1998, we sat in the top auto spot and the bookies had us as one of the favourites to go up. The squad of Welch, Bell, Goater, Goodridge, Tommy Doc, Taylor, Torpey and a certain Mr Murray is enough to get me misty eyed and the 12 year old me to get excited and start chanting City songs...

Sadly, our chance at becoming Div 2 winners was not to be. Back in Vicarage Road, in mid 1997 and after a 13th Div 2 finish, Kenny Jackett was demoted to a coach and Graham Taylor was promoted from General Manager to First Team Manager. A second bite of the apple for Graham, he swallowed the apple whole. They absolutely stormed the start of the 1997-98 season with 10 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses from August to October. I'm fact, throughout the period of the end of October to the end of December, they had their own unbeaten streak of 13 matches.

A two horse race for the title it would seem. 

After a spate of draws for Watford throughout February and March, it looked like it was to be us clinching the trophy. Alas, it was not to be. An unhappy April to May, brought City just 2 wins, 3 losses and a draw - against Watford themselves. Watford faired better over the same period with just 1 loss, 3 wins and 2 draws.

Up they went as champions and we followed as runners up.

The season after this needs no reminding (John Ward, Benny, etc...) but Watford continued to push under Graham. They finished in 5th place and after a play off final v Bolton, they hit the Premier League. Since then, they have been a Prem/Champ yoyo club.

So on today.

Our sick bay is as packed as the A&E dept at the BRI on a Saturday night, so today is all about the kids. Vyner, Hinds, Kelly and co will form the team to attack Watford again in a cup match. 

This is undoubtedly a throw away game. With our list of sick notes and progression in both the Championship and the Carabao Cup, we aren't looking for the win. 

The old adage "we are concentrating on the league (and the league cup)" will be uttered by LJ at FT. 

No disrespect to the young lads but I don't sense a win in this one. Watford haven't played well recently and also have their own injuries so this stinks of a draw which means yet another game for our depleted squad... 1-1.

Until Tuesday folks.

Come on you reds...

Can't seem to raise a great deal of enthusiasm for this game as for once, I really don't care if we lose.  I hope the youngsters put on a good show though just for the sake of their own confidence.

Watford on the other hand are on a bit of a slide and have already been dumped out of one cup by us, so the pressure will be on them.

I do think that if Lee picks a young fresh team that we might surprise them with the energy that brings. Also, the likes of Taylor, Woodrow and Eliasson have something to prove.

So my prediction is unfortunately a draw and another game to add to our fixture congestion.  Still, I suppose that it will be nice to see another prem team at the gate and the extra revenue this will generate.

Had to listen to the last Watford game on the Hornets website.  This time I shall have it on Radio Brizzle in glorious mono.

Like others I really don't mind about the result today, they've more or less got a free pass on this one. Would be good to see the youngsters have a run out and see what they can do. Would love a win but could do without the extra fixtures and injury risks that come with it. Need to put our resources into securing promotion and I suspect we won't have to worry about the Carabao for much longer.

2 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

Like others I really don't mind about the result today, they've more or less got a free pass on this one. Would be good to see the youngsters have a run out and see what they can do. Would love a win but could do without the extra fixtures and injury risks that come with it. Need to put our resources into securing promotion and I suspect we won't have to worry about the Carabao for much longer.

The final's at the end of Feb…:winner_third_h4h:

Remember going to a City game at Watford back in the 90s probably, when there was a load of old allotments outside the away end. We took a load up there, important game and we lost.  Think Watford were going well and on a run like us - think it was the game Septic Peg alludes to above?

When the game finished there was bedlam with City fans somehow getting in the home stands and the allotment fencing was rearranged by marauding City fans. Not too many carrots were harvested that year!!!

All got quite tasty post match as the area was a shithole as Septic Peg mentions.

Watford always reminded me of the Gas scum - false family friendly image (laugh), shithole area, shit boozers, cocky disrespectful fans. Always hated Watford. Doubt things have changed?

I seem to remember seeing City v Watford at AG one Easter maybe the 97/98 season, we had the white Sanderson away shirt at the time (not that we were wearing it for that game of course). Must have both been pushing for promotion as it was packed I was jammed in at the back of the Wedlock. Score was 1-1 our equaliser may have been from Rob Edwards. The only time I have seen Watford.

12 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

I seem to remember seeing City v Watford at AG one Easter maybe the 97/98 season, we had the white Sanderson away shirt at the time (not that we were wearing it for that game of course). Must have both been pushing for promotion as it was packed I was jammed in at the back of the Wedlock. Score was 1-1 our equaliser may have been from Rob Edwards. The only time I have seen Watford.

If that was the promotion season it was indeed 1-1, televised live with the Goat scoring for us (I think).  A very young Louis Carey pulled off one of the finest tackles I’ve seen from a City player (though rivalled by Joe Bryan - twice - against Man Utd).

48 minutes ago, Scrumpylegs said:

I struggle to remember a game in 35 years of watching BCFC about which I cared less than this one. The last thing we need is any more games. Another cup run would be a disaster to our prospects of keeping in the promotion hunt in my view!!

said the same thing mate, it's a weird one. This is our once in a decade chance to get to the PL and all this cup business is simply a distraction 

40 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Currently -5,2 degrees in Stockholm but no snow.

COYR 

Positively tropical here in Tallinn Tommy,  2 C and raining.   Don't care about the result today,  we have enough troubles and could do without a replay.  just hope the youngsters do well and don't lose by too many goals.  But anyway,  COYR's

I will admit to being pretty lukewarm on this fixture, probably because we’re already faced them and the state of the squad just now.

That said; highly doubt the players (whoever ends up in the line up) or coaching staff will be feeling that way, and actually expect us to give them a game; if picked, the likes of Taylor and Woodrow really need to see this as an opportunity to impress.

17 minutes ago, BCFCinNW6 said:

said the same thing mate, it's a weird one. This is our once in a decade chance to get to the PL and all this cup business is simply a distraction 

Not really. Assuming we fall short this season, we’ll have another chance three months later :yes:.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Currently -5,2 degrees in Stockholm but no snow.

COYR 

Bloody cold in the car park at Sainsbury's Ashton, a while back, not much better in the freezer section inside.

5 degrees at Vicarage Road this afternoon with a 13 mph NNE wind.

Pressure 1013 millibars with visibility predicted to be 'very good.'

Ok , the nerve has gone , I'll kick us off .

This match has really caught the imagination of , not only Bristol , but the whole wide world .

Little Bristol City about to take on a mighty Prem side in the cup .

No ? 

You 're right .

A measure of our progress , there is little , apparent, enthusiasm for this tie .

Talk of playing the kids , giving the first teamers a rest .

We sound like a Prem club already !

We have a chance to do the double over Watford albeit they are in a League above , a trivia question in the making I'll be bound .

So, onto the match ,  will our youngsters beat their youngsters ?

Does anyone really care?

I always want us to win no matter what but today is a free hit for me and all I hope for is an injury free ninety minutes and à bit of a day out for the amazing Red Army .

Bring it on Lads and Lasses.

49 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

If that was the promotion season it was indeed 1-1, televised live with the Goat scoring for us (I think).  A very young Louis Carey pulled off one of the finest tackles I’ve seen from a City player (though rivalled by Joe Bryan - twice - against Man Utd).

You tube solves this one.

22nd April 1999. Just over 19000 crowd. Looks like it was Rob Edwards who equalised although it's another player seen celebrating as Edwards was on the floor inside the goal.

If anyone wants to solve the other question - where have the last 20 years gone?

We're omnipresent in the thoughts of the media.

A few minutes ago R5 went over to their reporter at the Wolves/Swansea game for his pre match thoughts and he started going on about the Watford/City game - particularly talking about City - before the studio cut in and reminded him what match he was at!

Not an important game in my view. What worries me though is that Watford will be really up for this.. They aren't getting relegated and have no chance of Europe so the FA Cup will be high on their priority. Another battering would be disasterous for morale, really not what we need. I still want us to win, but I'd be more than happy with a narrow defeat and our fringe players getting some good game time.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We're omnipresent in the thoughts of the media.

A few minutes ago R5 went over to their reporter at the Wolves/Swansea game for his pre match thoughts and he started going on about the Watford/City game - particularly talking about City - before the studio cut in and reminded him what match he was at!

Any relation?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Who+AM+I+Famous+Quotes&&view=detail&mid=95879BF8A3B971AB043B95879BF8A3B971AB043B&FORM=VRDGAR 

37 minutes ago, WelshRobin said:

You tube solves this one.

22nd April 1999. Just over 19000 crowd. Looks like it was Rob Edwards who equalised although it's another player seen celebrating as Edwards was on the floor inside the goal.

If anyone wants to solve the other question - where have the last 20 years gone?

I haven't got them . Have you checked your coat pocket ? 

Archived