IGNORED

Any of the young lads impress today ?

Bourne End Red

Thought Kelly looked pretty good, some good runs forward and was our only attacking outlet on the left (Eliasson anonymous). 

Edwards has some good pace and tricks, just too lightweight at the moment. Promising debut.

L-E had a few nice touches and movement but Watford over ran the midfield and never really gave anyone a chance in the middle of the pitch. 

Vyners positioning is still doubtful and I personally don’t think he attacks enough. Loan will do him good. 

Edwards was the brightest but had a tough time as he’s not the biggest and was up against some big players. He was muscled out a lot.

Can’t say any of the others had a particularly good game. Kelly was better in the second half but he and Vyner can improve.

Lemon made a couple of tackles but didn’t really press enough on the whole.

Edwards the best for me.

Listening to RB and Keith Millen.

He thought Vyner and Kelly did ok. Eliasson quiet, Opi Edwards worked very hard, didn't appear phased by opposition and showed up well. Connor L- Evans ok for first game.

In addition, he wasn't too impressed with Woodrow and Taylor. Also mentioned that Engvall hesitated a couple of times with shots, possibly lacking confidence. Hinds not on long enough to get comment.

From my point if view, we probably gained more than many will realise. Good for so many under 23's to get first team time. We couldn't have done that three or four years ago and it will pay dividends for the players and the Club.

Thought they were all tidy with L-E being the pick for me. Their deficiencies were down to lack of strength rather than technique, which is hardly surprising at this stage of their development. They were up against a very strong and big physical Watford side. LJ and his coaching staff have some talent to work with here. 

Worst City player was Woodrow, send him back to Fulham. Can only assume that Taylor was substituted first of front two as he will be on the bench Tuesday. 

Engvall and Hinds did more, and looked more of a threat, in 15 minutes than Woodrow did in an hour. 

Nice to see Walsh travel and go through some training routines before the match  

44 minutes ago, Selred said:

Thought Kelly looked pretty good, some good runs forward and was our only attacking outlet on the left (Eliasson anonymous). 

Edwards has some good pace and tricks, just too lightweight at the moment. Promising debut.

L-E had a few nice touches and movement but Watford over ran the midfield and never really gave anyone a chance in the middle of the pitch. 

Vyners positioning is still doubtful and I personally don’t think he attacks enough. Loan will do him good. 

RE Eliasson the management seem to really rate him but he doesn't show much in games from what I've seen. Time will tell I suppose.

1 minute ago, Bourne End Red said:

RE Eliasson the management seem to really rate him but he doesn't show much in games from what I've seen. Time will tell I suppose.

I think we need to give him and others time.  Brownhill took 3/4 of a season to find his feet, O’Dowda just over a season.  Bobby, might go into this summer without a thread titled "make or break season for Reid".  The Championship is incredibly competitive and very few youngsters hit the ground running....although I hope Walsh does....but I won’t be putting pressure on him.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think we need to give him and others time.  Brownhill took 3/4 of a season to find his feet, O’Dowda just over a season.  Bobby, might go into this summer without a thread titled "make or break season for Reid".  The Championship is incredibly competitive and very few youngsters hit the ground running....although I hope Walsh does....but I won’t be putting pressure on him.

Totally agree. We've seen what a year of coaching/patience/cohesion building can do for players here. There's obviously a player in there.

10 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Thought they were all tidy with L-E being the pick for me. Their deficiencies were down to lack of strength rather than technique, which is hardly surprising at this stage of their development. They were up against a very strong and big physical Watford side. LJ and his coaching staff have some talent to work with here. 

Worst City player was Woodrow, send him back to Fulham. Can only assume that Taylor was substituted first of front two as he will be on the bench Tuesday. 

Engvall and Hinds did more, and looked more of a threat, in 15 minutes than Woodrow did in an hour. 

Nice to see Walsh travel and go through some training routines before the match  

I`m surprised by that. I imagined he`d still be in Liverpool sorting stuff out and would join up with the team on Tuesday in Manchester.

Fair play to him then.

22 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m surprised by that. I imagined he`d still be in Liverpool sorting stuff out and would join up with the team on Tuesday in Manchester.

Fair play to him then.

I doubt he had the option - BCFC pay his wages now and although he couldn't play it was an opportunity to spend some time getting to know part of the squad.

What I will say about Eliasson is that, though he was quiet in attack, he clearly seems to be improving in the defensive aspect of his game. Was helping out Kelly a lot - which he needed to do - and while that might not seem as important as being a potent attacking threat, it is very important for us and the way we play.

Also he played the ball in for Engvall's big chance, which was a good opportunity. Patience needed for him and a few more fringe players.

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Can I ask what it was that stood out for you with Lemon? Personally I thought he was the last impressive of the young guys.

Not that he had a bad game, just perhaps I didn't see what you saw?

I just thought he showed a decent first touch and was tidy on the ball, was looking for it, and was not frightened to get stuck in when necessary. There were clearly times when he got by-passed but he was not alone in that. In comparison, young Edwards (and he is only 18), while willing, like Elliason was too easily outmuscled. I thought too that he could have got more early crosses in, rather than trying to go round a full back who had his number. But I don’t wish to appear too critical. Both did enough to make me confident that they have bright futures  

I concentrated on these debutants, rather than Vynrr, Kelly and Hines, who have played against senior opposition before. 

It was a shame Jake Andrews was cup tied, j believe he would have started up top today. The club obviously see something in him as they recalled his loan and haven’t sent him back out to a higher club.

Flash scores suggested Taylor Moore was up top today, is that right?

L-E looked really composed at times and think he will have a decent future, seems to play good football. Opi looked good going forward (my brother likened him to Junior Bent, small, nippy and direct) but a bit naive defensively but as mentioned only Eighteen. Would have been a great experience for them today and a bit of a lesson at times but that is not a bad thing. Thought Elliasson was poor today, seemed to have no confidence and struggled with the basics at times. Vyner and Kelly were ok, Watford clearly targeted our full backs and it worked. All in all I would say none of them disgraced themselves and it only speaks volumes for the club that we can not only rest our first choice players in a cup game against a premier league side but that we have no problem with chucking the young ones in.

Men against boys is exactly correct! Our young players were muscled off the ball or pressured into making mistakes.  None had the opportunity to impress, given the situation. L-Evans was invisible, Edwards tried hard and was annoying but not effective. Eliason made no impact. Kelly and Vyner did well, marshalled by the Man of Steel. A difficult game all round. Smith, Flint and Pack played with character and pride.

Archived