IGNORED

Gustav

mattjtsmith

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The radio Bristol commentator said they were planning on asking Johnson about what their plans were with Gustav after the game. Did johnson/Holden get asked this?

Holden, said he looked good in training, had a good attitude, deserved a chance. So his reward was 30 minutes when 2-0 down.... 

He looked sort of all right, which made him one of the better players in the team. Carved out more chances for himself than Taylor or Woodrow. Looked rusty, but tried a bunch of things to open up space. If the strikers were auditioning for a back-up role, he showed more in his cameo than Woodrow by a long way.

1 hour ago, Luxo Jr. said:

He looked sort of all right, which made him one of the better players in the team. Carved out more chances for himself than Taylor or Woodrow. Looked rusty, but tried a bunch of things to open up space. If the strikers were auditioning for a back-up role, he showed more in his cameo than Woodrow by a long way.

Except he showed himself as a a striker who was too terrified to have a shot. Freddie Hinds showed him what to do as soon as he entered the pitch. 

I’m sorry but the he should of started today over Woodrow - we’ve got a 21 year old striker who we payed over a million pounds for who has gone out on loan and was a perfect opportunity to see if he had improved any whilst out on loan. Woodrow brings nothing and is not our player would much preferred him to be put out there and at least put him in a shop window to try and recoup some of his price tag.

2 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

I’d love for him to prove me wrong but can’t help thinking he’s never going to make it in England. Maybe a less physical league would suit him better, if we can get our money back from a French or Dutch club that is the best we can hope for with our Gus I fear. 

Half our money back is the best we could hope for I reckon 

2 hours ago, mattjtsmith said:

I know he was only on for a bit, but was he any good? Anywhere near look like joining the squad at some point? :whistle:

Did more in the 30 minutes he was on than Taylor and Woodrow did in the whole time they were on.

Was worth starting him IMO.

5 minutes ago, Judda said:

Couple that with the inflated wages issue in English football (well maybe in the top two divisions) and that also becomes an issue. We'll end up paying him up, and the half (if we get lucky) becomes a quarter, At which point you almost may as well keep him.

I still wonder whether its more of a mental issue, and if he scores one he'll score a ton. But as @Robin Goch said, he's too terrified to take a shot, so....

1 hour ago, Robin Goch said:

Except he showed himself as a a striker who was too terrified to have a shot. Freddie Hinds showed him what to do as soon as he entered the pitch. 

Well he was rusty. With respect, it's not like Hinds' shot was any good. I thought both worked well - Engvall got himself 3 opportunities: one he should have shot, another I think he thought he was getting a penalty and didn't want to shoot to risk the ref playing advantage, and the third the defender got in the way at point blank range. Hinds came on, got himself space and had a shot - fair play, but it was along the ground, straight at the keeper and not very quick. I think Engvall showed more, admittedly with more time, than him and Woodrow and Taylor.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Well he was rusty. With respect, it's not like Hinds' shot was any good. I thought both worked well - Engvall got himself 3 opportunities: one he should have shot, another I think he thought he was getting a penalty and didn't want to shoot to risk the ref playing advantage, and the third the defender got in the way at point blank range. Hinds came on, got himself space and had a shot - fair play, but it was along the ground, straight at the keeper and not very quick. I think Engvall showed more, admittedly with more time, than him and Woodrow and Taylor.

He definitely showed more than Woodrow without a shadow of doubt. The misplaced pass by Woodrow when we were on a counter in the second half summed up his performance. 

I agree Hind’s shot wasn’t the greatest but considering that was the only shot we had on target after some of the positions we found ourselves in is criminal. Unfortunately Engvall twice found himself through on goal and took the wrong decision. The first one (the one which should have been called as a pen) was forgivable as rustiness, the later one not so.

1 minute ago, Robin Goch said:

He definitely showed more than Woodrow without a shadow of doubt. The misplaced pass by Woodrow when we were on a counter in the second half summed up his performance. 

I agree Hind’s shot wasn’t the greatest but considering that was the only shot we had on target after some of the positions we found ourselves in is criminal. Unfortunately Engvall twice found himself through on goal and took the wrong decision. The first one (the one which should have been called as a pen) was forgivable as rustiness, the later one not so.

Yeah, agreed in general. He's still only 21 though, so that will happen sometimes. I think because of the fee we paid and the way he looks, people forget just how young he is. Almost 3 years younger than Woodrow.

Just back from Watford and, reading this thread, thought I must have been at another game watching different players! Both Engvall and Woodrow did nothing to effect the game, as one of our former managers used to say. Why doesn't Engvall shoot when he has the chance? LJ had his hands on his head in frustration, as did the crowd. Woodrow should return to Fulham. He has had his chance. It isn't working for Engvall either-doesn't seem to fit in English football. There was no threat today at all. Taylor? A free header chance missed- another striker who finds it difficult to finish ?

Well going on these reports, mostly anyway, it seems he's not a million miles away. Still has a few years to come good really so it could just be a patience game. It's a shame that striking in league one is so different, as with not wanting to loan a goal scorer to a rival, getting valuable English experience could be tough

2 hours ago, Judda said:

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Couple that with the inflated wages issue in English football (well maybe in the top two divisions) and that also becomes an issue. We'll end up paying him up, and the half (if we get lucky) becomes a quarter, At which point you almost may as well keep him.

I still wonder whether its more of a mental issue, and if he scores one he'll score a ton. But as @Robin Goch said, he's too terrified to take a shot, so....

So how much did we pay exactly if we’re talking ‘half of it back’? I only see a ‘reported’ €1.6M which isn’t a lot for a Swedish international striker. Is this confirmed?

Also what are his (assumed to be) inflated wages?

The guy has just got himself back in the fold and had a 30 min run out. I think the jury is not out and he has plenty of time on his side to give it a good go.

Seems to be tarred with uncertainty and he can still make an impression. That’s up to him to do and LJ and co will do what’s best for him, I’m more than sure.

Things haven’t clicked yet, but he’s a player in development, not one who’s an established name in the lineup. Not something we can’t afford to keep, surely?!

2 hours ago, Donkeeebles said:

I thought he did well when he came on. Movement was good, twice he made runs in behind their defence but the ball didn't arrive. His decision making was off but he looked to me like someone who wants to play. 

Agree. I'm just back from being "up the (Watford) junction". Thought this was the best I've seen Engvall play - linked play with some clever touches and seemed a handful at times. Aged 21 he has potential - it took Bobby Reid a long time to click.

A long way to go, but if he can get loaned out for experience, he could flourish.

6 hours ago, mattjtsmith said:

but was he any good?

He is to football what bears are to deposits in woods.

Had we not wasted so much dosh on him he'd have gone long since and remains as nobody in Scandiland will or can afford his salary. 

Archived