IGNORED

Mary Whitehouse query

22A

On the Yesterday Channel, they've just broadcast "Sounds of the Sixties". Part of it showed Mary Whitehouse addressing an audience in 1964 stating she & her family watched a programme at 6.35 pm "and it was the dirtiest programme she had ever seen",
Hmm; 6.35pm in 1964; which programme did she see? Play for Today didn't start until after nine. Z Cars was 8.00pm and Corrie at 7.00. Was she upset perhaps by Deetime with Simon Dee?

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

On the Yesterday Channel, they've just broadcast "Sounds of the Sixties". Part of it showed Mary Whitehouse addressing an audience in 1964 stating she & her family watched a programme at 6.35 pm "and it was the dirtiest programme she had ever seen",
Hmm; 6.35pm in 1964; which programme did she see? Play for Today didn't start until after nine. Z Cars was 8.00pm and Corrie at 7.00. Was she upset perhaps by Deetime with Simon Dee?

it wasn't "Till Death us Do Part?"

On 07/01/2018 at 10:44, Red Right Hand said:

It still makes me laugh when I think that back in the seventies films like A Fistful Of Dollars and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly were rated X.

Standard Sunday afternoon filler films now.

Going back even further (and accounting for the Americans being even more sensitive to these things) there's a Laurel and Hardy where they won't even say the word "hell" to describe where they will go after death (thinking they had killed someone).

It's staggering how much these things change.

In The Wurzels "Twice Daily" theres a word ("bugger"?) that is censored out too, think that song was mid-late Sixties?

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Going back even further (and accounting for the Americans being even more sensitive to these things) there's a Laurel and Hardy where they won't even say the word "hell" to describe where they will go after death (thinking they had killed someone).

It's staggering how much these things change.

In The Wurzels "Twice Daily" theres a word ("bugger"?) that is censored out too, think that song was mid-late Sixties?

I think it was the last couple of years where Radio 1 played a radio edit version of the Christmas song 'Fairytale of New York' where the word 'faggot' was edited out! Goes a bit far I think, doesn't take into account context.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it was the last couple of years where Radio 1 played a radio edit version of the Christmas song 'Fairytale of New York' where the word 'faggot' was edited out! Goes a bit far I think, doesn't take into account context.

I'm always amazed "slut" doesn't get censored in that song.

A bit like "faggot" in the same song I don't think it necessarily should, through context, but I'm always surprised because of how things are these days.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Got a feeling Radio One banned it for being a bit too risqué. It was the B side to the national anthem of North Somerset and so presumably it just meant the A side got more airplay - the rest, as they say, is history. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Got a feeling Radio One banned it for being a bit too risqué. It was the B side to the national anthem of North Somerset and so presumably it just meant the A side got more airplay - the rest, as they say, is history. 

If ever you get a chance to watch a programme called `Banned At The BBC` it`s got all the stuff they`ve banned and why right back to the early sixties. A lot of it is hilarious now.

It`s often repeated on one or other of the documentary channels.

Archived