IGNORED

The Semi final

Ska Junkie

It's a pity we didn't draw Arsenal or Chelsea for the semi, although unlikely there would have been a chance of catching those teams on an off-day, and if we'd had Man City in the Final anything can happen in a 90-minute game.

My main concern now is that we get a thrashing that could peg back our league challenge. If we lose by 2 or 3 goals tomorrow we won't have done any worse than most Prem teams so shouldn't be too disheartened, I just hope we don't panic if we let one or two in.

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's getting enough of the ball to cause them serious issues isn't it? Especially the away game.

I predict at most we'll have 30 percent possession Tuesday. But in a way you're right about the defence, sometimes attack or pressing at least can be best form of defence...if you believe many though they are now the best side in all of Europe.

The problem is though their depth.

No Walker? Hello Brazil full back Danilo.

Kompany made of glass? Worry not, Otamendi has really improved under Pep.

Mangala and Bravo are dodgy backup mind! For Stones and Ederson.

Mendy injured- worry not Delph, player who looked on way out- suddenly new left back?? Dunno who replaces Delph though.

Let's rest De Bruyne, Silva, Fernandinho...hello to Yaya Toure Gundogan, Foden.

I know...Sane, Aguero, Sterling all need resting. Tbh given Jesus injured, unsure who except Bernardo Silva would step into that front 3.

Point is they have some ludicrous depth and if they mix and match it...well I hope for the best but it's mission impossible over 2 legs isn't it? Sadly.

It's eleven human beings against ten human beings and Flinty .

They will be under pressure to perform we won't be under any pressure . 

I believe most athletes are more or less equal physically at the highest levels it's in the head where the best win through .

If we approach this like we did the Personchester United game then Personchester Citeh might be very surprised.

We can do it .

Believe you'll lose and you will .

37 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Anyone know how bad Korey`s knock was from yesterday? I can`t see us risking him if he`s not 100% and it would mean Walsh could play.

I heard on Radio Bristol yesterday that it was a pre planned substitution. Just play 45 mins then come off and rest your legs basically.

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

I heard on Radio Bristol yesterday that it was a pre planned substitution. Just play 45 mins then come off and rest your legs basically.

Great, thanks. It was just that someone there said that the tackle just before HT that he needed  treatment for was a bit of a cruncher so feared the worst.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'm dreading a heavy defeat, not because of any demoralising effect it might have but the arrogant reaction of the pundits.

Comments like "at this level"  and " a game too far"  will really piss me off...........:grr:

As long as they call us Bristol!  This will prove that they know there is really only one team in Bristol.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's eleven human beings against ten human beings and Flinty .

They will be under pressure to perform we won't be under any pressure . 

I believe most athletes are more or less equal physically at the highest levels it's in the head where the best win through .

If we approach this like we did the Personchester United game then Personchester Citeh might be very surprised.

We can do it .

Believe you'll lose and you will .

That's a fair post.

We have to believe I guess otherwise is there any point?

Point about pressure is a good one. We have none whatsoever, we were expected by most (not us but everyone else probably) to lose to Personchester United.

Partly agree on the athletes point but let's be honest there's a huge technical gulf between one of best sixes in world and us.

Physically I don't necessarily disagree- think we're a very fit team (in the sense of stamina etc, the late goals we got) shows we are fit.

I hope for the best Tuesday as always with us but I consider this side much better than our quarter final opposition.

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No team has pressed Man City high this season, if you let them play out from the back you are immediately in trouble.

I'm guessing you missed the two games vs Burnley, both Champions League games vs Serie A's top side, Napoli and one against Shakhtar Donetsk, plus games against Liverpool and Arsenal then?

Going to be an interesting game this week, I do think you will score.

They will put out a very strong team whoever they pick.

They have dangermenall over the pitch, but if I could pick a couple of players to not play they’d be Sané and De Bruyne.

If they could play Yaya Toure, as good as he is, I think we’d be able to get back into our shape as he’s not as quick at using the ball as others.

But, anyone of the team’s Pep picks is gonna be a serious challenge to contain at The Etihad.

Think it’s a game for our ball technicians, those that can keep it under pressure, and hide-it.  Your Patos, your Reids, rather than Taylor.  I think that’s why Walsh might get his start.

Wonder if Woodrow is Cup-tied....if he’s staying here for the rest of the season, why would Fulham Cup-tie him?

4 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I'm guessing you missed the two games vs Burnley, both Champions League games vs Serie A's top side, Napoli and one against Shakhtar Donetsk, plus games against Liverpool and Arsenal then?

I remember your games in Naples as a neutral (part Italian so like Napoli a bit). Thought Napoli especially caused you problems aplenty especially first half hour over there. They certainly pressed you high!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember your games in Naples as a neutral (part Italian so like Napoli a bit). Thought Napoli especially caused you problems aplenty especially first half hour over there. They certainly pressed you high!

They were both really enjoyable games vs Napoli, Sarri is an excellent coach and has them playing very well. The away match was probably one of our best performances this season, especially having to come from 1-0 down, and having been bested for the first 25-30 minutes.

1 minute ago, MCFC said:

They were both really enjoyable games vs Napoli, Sarri is an excellent coach and has them playing very well. The away match was probably one of our best performances this season, especially having to come from 1-0 down, and having being bested for the first 25-30 minutes.

That's it. Agreed with that, really enjoyed both as a neutral.

I suppose the one bit of comfort for Tuesday night I will take is that your defence isn't invulnerable. I

I remember a key Ederson save at 2-2 then bang you went up other end and 3-2 and back in.charge.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's it. Agreed with that, really enjoyed both as a neutral.

I suppose the one bit of comfort for Tuesday night I will take is that your defence isn't invulnerable. I

I remember a key Ederson save at 2-2 then bang you went up other end and 3-2 and back in.charge.

Yep, Ederson has been pretty special this season.

You'll be facing Bravo i think, he deserves his chance, as he has been excellent so far, in this competition.

I reckon Pep will put out a strong side, as we don't play again until the Sunday, nice easy trip to Liverpool.... :blink:

11 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I think I must have!.

i realise Burnley did, but I wasn’t aware they did for the majority of the 90 mins,  I certainly wasn’t aware of the games in the champions league because I didn’t see them.

My own personal opinion is that we will, and must do the same as the teams you mention above. 

Hopefully it’s an interesting game, we have nothing to lose so can play with freedom.

1 minute ago, MCFC said:

You'll be facing Bravo i think, he deserves his chance, as he has been excellent so far, in this competition.

I reckon Pep will put out a strong side, as we don't play again until the Sunday, nice easy trip to Liverpool.... :blink:

Think we you will at least get to see a good game of football MCFC :thumbsup: and un Newcastle like

We may get outclassed but we will try and play ;)

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They will put out a very strong team whoever they pick.

They have dangermenall over the pitch, but if I could pick a couple of players to not play they’d be Sané and De Bruyne.

If they could play Yaya Toure, as good as he is, I think we’d be able to get back into our shape as he’s not as quick at using the ball as others.

But, anyone of the team’s Pep picks is gonna be a serious challenge to contain at The Etihad.

Think it’s a game for our ball technicians, those that can keep it under pressure, and hide-it.  Your Patos, your Reids, rather than Taylor.  I think that’s why Walsh might get his start.

Wonder if Woodrow is Cup-tied....if he’s staying here for the rest of the season, why would Fulham Cup-tie him?

Because he already played for Fulham in it before we signed him.

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No team has pressed Man City high this season, if you let them play out from the back you are immediately in trouble.

We must deny them space in their half, most teams make the mistake of trying to deny them space 40 yards from ‘our’ goal. That doesn’t work because Man City’s players are too clever in that area.

Attack and press there defensive players as they are the least comfortable on the ball.

It will be the same tactics as when we played the other team from Manchester, it showed that these Prem defensive players aren’t as comfortable when given no time on the ball.

We must play as a tight unit, deny them the space everywhere on the pitch.

Our fitness on the night will be crucial, all 14 players we will use will have to work 100% and give everything, If that isn’t good enough then so be it, but I know they will make us proud.

agreed   ,  with you word for word   pal

36 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I think I must have!.

i realise Burnley did, but I wasn’t aware they did for the majority of the 90 mins,  I certainly wasn’t aware of the games in the champions league because I didn’t see them.

My own personal opinion is that we will, and must do the same as the teams you mention above. 

Hopefully it’s an interesting game, we have nothing to lose so can play with freedom.

just remembered

Tottenham tried to press

And got carved up Bill

:unsure:

:laughcont:

Yeah they can play their way out I reckon.

Pressing is a great asset and can rattle any defence or defensive structure. However if it was that easy:

Bonucci Chiellini Barzagli

Alves Pique Puyol Alba

Zabaleta Kompany Lescott Clichy

Just press them and they will struggle.. If that easy most sides would have done it to them. They didn't struggle much though.

If the opposition beat the press quickly then you're in trouble down the other end. They have betting markets on most things now. If they had one on possession it'd be between 20-30 percent.

2 hours ago, MCFC said:

Do you think the fact you are 187 points clear (roughly) at the top of the table means Pep will pick a stronger side than he might otherwise have done? To put it another way, are you serious about the “quadruple” and is this game actually more important than a Premier League game that you can easily afford to lose?

Yeah I forgot about the stupid away goals rule in this competition.

So if I remember correctly, if the scores are level after both legs then extra time is played.

If the scores are still level after extra time then the away goals rule comes into play. 

Nice and simple :blink:

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/bristol-city-h-pre-match-thread.332412/

Now that we are within touching distance of Pep's first trophy at City, I would play the strongest team with the exception of Bravo as he has won us two penalty shootouts. Try and get the tie won in the first leg and then we can rest the big guns in the second leg. 

:help:

Bravo 
Walker Stones Otamendi Delph 
Fernandinho 
Sterling KDB Silva Sané. 
:unsure:
Aguero :unsure:

:no: :sweatingbullets:

:laughcont:

‘ Pep's first trophy at City ‘

Forgot that   :unsure:

You're forgetting this will be Johnson's first trophy at City too.

19 hours ago, cityred exile said:

agreed   ,  with you word for word   pal <about pressing high>

Honestly, I think Bristol's best chance is to sit back and defend for your lives and hope to catch Man City on the break.  This "pressing high" idea, although it causes City some issues will imo result in City beating the press and bypassing your midfield and being through on your goal, more times than it creates chances for you.  If Ederson plays (though I suspect he won't) then it's a non-starter, but even with Bravo in goal I think (Man) City will beat the press more often than not.

Parking the bus and defending like your lives depend on it, could gain a 0-0 to take back to Bristol, which imo would be a tremendous result for you.

3 minutes ago, Chippy_boy said:

Honestly, I think Bristol's best chance is to sit back and defend for your lives and hope to catch Man City on the break.  This "pressing high" idea, although it causes City some issues will imo result in City beating the press and bypassing your midfield and being through on your goal, more times than it creates chances for you.  If Ederson plays (though I suspect he won't) then it's a non-starter, but even with Bravo in goal I think (Man) City will beat the press more often than not.

Parking the bus and defending like your lives depend on it, could gain a 0-0 to take back to Bristol, which imo would be a tremendous result for you.

Most Premier League sides have sat back and got torn apart.

The teams that have caused issues have been the ones who have pressed.

Also, abandoning what we know for the complete opposite means asking our players to play an unfamiliar style, further reducing any chance we have.

Archived