IGNORED

What is the realistic future for City? (Merged)

reddogkev

How will the next few years pan out for City?  Clearly we are still growing as a club, but will this continue until we reach the Prem?

Or will our current momentum peter out if we finish lower than expected this season?  If we don't win promotion this season, it's interesting to think of the immediate future and wonder what will happen.  Even though we are in no rush as a club, it feels like this season is our big chance for the top.  Without promotion, it is possible we would lose Flint, Bryan to the Prem, and then perhaps any number of players from Smith, Reid, Browhill, Baker etc for big money.  Would we be able to fend off such interest, would we want the big cash injection of selling one or two of the top players, and perhaps invest further in the challenge of winning the league next time?

My final thought, are we now too big for League One?  Have we banished the dreaded, dark days of relegation from the Championship?

Damn, it feels like I've asked too many questions here ... keen to know all thoughts / viewpoints.

In my opinion I think our future lies in the Premier League.

Whether we'll get there this season, I'm not sure. But in the next 5 years I'm sure we will.

The short term isn't that important in the scheme of things. The club is set up with the next few years in mind, not the next few months. That's not to say we should 'go for it' this season, but it wouldn't be disastrous to the long term aims of the club if we failed to gain promotion. Again, of course it's possible we will lose our player assets. It's part of the life cycle of the club. But again, this wouldn't be a disaster as we're set up now to find replacements from elsewhere (or better still find them from the academy.)

I think as a club we were previously a bit too focused on the short term. One of my favourite managers was Gary Johnson, but he was a short term manager. He wanted results in the next 12 months, not to build something for the next 12 years. If LJ were to leave tomorrow, we'd seek to find a replacement who bought into this model with the aim of the philosophy continuing. It's all about being self-sustainable and for the first time since supporting the club, I have faith that we're becoming this.

I think we are too 'big' (for want of a better word) for League 1. If we did end up relegated, I think we'd bounce back very quickly. 

It's pretty easy to look at the short term results and feel elated or miserable - but I have faith that as a club we've matured. I really believe the next few years will be exciting times for our support.

Obviously depends on what happens in january re transfers, but i can see us slip back into themidtable area that we would have taken at the start of the season. Presumably joe bryan will leave in the summer then we will reinvest those funds. 

What the team has done this year has been heroic, but hopefully management have learned what a high press tactic can do for a team in terms of good results, but also for wear and tear and injuries. So to maintain it we need a much deeper squad. 

I also think we certainly arent too big for league 1, we have no divine right to be any where.

also the squad evolution is an ongoing process, i think there are a few players in the squad that could be upgraded, regardless of injuries, gk, possibly rb if pisano is injury prone, matt taylor, Magnússon and hegeler and engvall.

a few have come on really strong,, odowda and brownhill, and reid. Deidhou was starting to. Duric im very concerned about his fitness, though clearly a good player when fit.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Whether we'll get there this season, I'm not sure. But in the next 5 years I'm sure we will.

The short term isn't that important in the scheme of things. The club is set up with the next few years in mind, not the next few months. That's not to say we should 'go for it' this season, but it wouldn't be disastrous to the long term aims of the club if we failed to gain promotion. Again, of course it's possible we will lose our player assets. It's part of the life cycle of the club. But again, this wouldn't be a disaster as we're set up now to find replacements from elsewhere (or better still find them from the academy.)

I think as a club we were previously a bit too focused on the short term. One of my favourite managers was Gary Johnson, but he was a short term manager. He wanted results in the next 12 months, not to build something for the next 12 years. If LJ were to leave tomorrow, we'd seek to find a replacement who bought into this model with the aim of the philosophy continuing. It's all about being self-sustainable and for the first time since supporting the club, I have faith that we're becoming this.

I think we are too 'big' (for want of a better word) for League 1. If we did end up relegated, I think we'd bounce back very quickly. 

It's pretty easy to look at the short term results and feel elated or miserable - but I have faith that as a club we've matured. I really believe the next few years will be exciting times for our support.

I think when LJ leaves we will move one of Holden or Jamie Mac up and bring in Skuse or Carey into the coaching set up .

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

How will the next few years pan out for City?  Clearly we are still growing as a club, but will this continue until we reach the Prem?

Or will our current momentum peter out if we finish lower than expected this season?  If we don't win promotion this season, it's interesting to think of the immediate future and wonder what will happen.  Even though we are in no rush as a club, it feels like this season is our big chance for the top.  Without promotion, it is possible we would lose Flint, Bryan to the Prem, and then perhaps any number of players from Smith, Reid, Browhill, Baker etc for big money.  Would we be able to fend off such interest, would we want the big cash injection of selling one or two of the top players, and perhaps invest further in the challenge of winning the league next time?

My final thought, are we now too big for League One?  Have we banished the dreaded, dark days of relegation from the Championship?

Damn, it feels like I've asked too many questions here ... keen to know all thoughts / viewpoints.

Many Questions: I'll try to answer as many as I have suspicions about

Yes we are still growing as a club, but IF we reach the Prem (wont count chickens) we will need to grow further to get embedded in the Premier League.

Or will our current momentum peter out if we finish lower than expected this season?

maybe. Momentum in Football is very important

If we don't win promotion this season, it's interesting to think of the immediate future and wonder what will happen.  Even though we are in no rush as a club, it feels like this season is our big chance for the top.  Without promotion, it is possible we would lose Flint, Bryan to the Prem, and then perhaps any number of players from Smith, Reid, Browhill, Baker etc for big money.  Would we be able to fend off such interest, would we want the big cash injection of selling one or two of the top players, and perhaps invest further in the challenge of winning the league next time?

If we don't get promotion it's far from the end of the world. Joe Bryan may well wind up as a PL player, but not so sure about Aden Flint. He may sack us off for bigger wages, but his Premier league credentials? I doubt he'd be at the top of anyone's shopping list in the PL. Smith, Reid, Brownhill and Baker may well all come under the same catagory. It's the price that clubs like City pay when we don't quite make it. I'll trust the powers that be are scouring for replacements

Would we be able to fend off such interest, would we want the big cash injection of selling one or two of the top players, and perhaps invest further in the challenge of winning the league next time?

I'd be very surprised if anyone left in january except those who we are letting leave. The rest will want to hang on (a possible promotion bonus isnt to be sneezed at). In the summer... I think there could be many comings and goings whatever Division we're playing in

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If were going to make it to the PL it will need to be achieved in the next three years with Johnson-if we can't get there momentum will fall away,Johnson will likely be on 'ees bike and we will be back at square one..

The next few years with our tail currently up are massive.

30 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I was thinking the other day, what is the ceiling for Bristol City? I think prem top 10 is a reasonable aim over many years. We clearly have the fan base and population to support a club of thay size.

But what about the current ground capacity ? How much larger can Ashton Gate become?  Anyone know the figures quoted by club re fan capacity ?

51 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Lower than expected? - what's deemed expected? 

I think most would have dreamed of mid table and maybe expected slightly lower.

if we finish 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th etc that still has to be deemed above expectations and considerable progress! I'm sure most won't be as level headed however

16 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But what about the current ground capacity ? How much larger can Ashton Gate become?  Anyone know the figures quoted by club re fan capacity ?

If you built a huge double tier on the atyeo we could probably jump to 33000/35000 i reckon but surely no need for that unless we hit Prem and stay there for 2-3 years to see if its warranted. 

SL is probably going to be spending large amounts of £ around the ground in the next few years so lets see how the on pitch results go. 

In a small way i kindof dont want PL. 

Saturday 3pm is what its about for me, not 1230, 1730 saturday, 1400 or 1600 sundays. 

Momentum....

Last year Reading were flying, before that, Fulham. Look at them both at this point in time.

It would seem that Swansea and Bournemouths momentum is grinding to a halt, whilst Huddersfield are going well.

Over longer term, look at clubs like Pompey, Leeds etc.

Point is, form is temporary, class is permanent. I think what we are building is first class, modern, forward thinking. Whatever happens on the pitch the club has a progressive outlook. Something I dare say we have never grasped fully before.

Anyway. We will finish second this year, win the League Cup, and probably get top 4 Prem next year, although I'd probably settle for top 6 if offered it now. 

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

If you built a huge double tier on the atyeo we could probably jump to 33000/35000 i reckon but surely no need for that unless we hit Prem and stay there for 2-3 years to see if its warranted. 

SL is probably going to be spending large amounts of £ around the ground in the next few years so lets see how the on pitch results go. 

In a small way i kindof dont want PL. 

Saturday 3pm is what its about for me, not 1230, 1730 saturday, 1400 or 1600 sundays. 

And that's the point.  If we gain promotion in next few seasons we need to consolidate at that level and not be a yo-yo club (no guarantee you can stop a slide. City have been there and done that).  We would need to aim for top half as a consolidating position before aiming higher.

For that, I suggest we would need a much larger capacity.  Say 50,000 minimum.  We would also need big investment which would undoubtedly mean SL bringing in additional investors.  Only in this way would we ever be self financing at top level in the long term, and self financing appears to be SL's declared objective.

Given all this I can understand why some on here prefer staying in The Championship, but I disagree -  that is an attitude of defeatism that sits oddly with a competitive sport like football.  Like many I want top flight football but I also want it sustainable and not like last time. 

Burnley should be our model IMO. They`re where I think I would like us to be in five years or so.

That said, I do share people`s reservations about the premier league as part of me wants to enjoy being a successful championship club rather than a substandard premier one.

I`ve often said, sometimes the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Fine response indeed, Phileas, you never fail to deliver those wise words of yours.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Burnley should be our model IMO. They`re where I think I would like us to be in five years or so.

That said, I do share people`s reservations about the premier league as part of me wants to enjoy being a successful championship club rather than a substandard premier one.

I`ve often said, sometimes the journey can be more enjoyable than the destination.

Burnley would be ideal to imitate - they are really having a dream season (even with yesterday's thumping).  Similar to what you've said, I don't have a massive appetite for seeing City in the Premier League.  Football is too expensive for me as it is and I find packed stadiums a bit cramped and tight.  I've been going since the early 90's and 3 out of 4 of my favourite seasons were both in League one / Division 1.

Agree with @Up The City!and @Phileas Fogg about our plausible trajectory top 10 PL over time, maybe...

The thing about too big for League One. Can't agree with that at all. In the sense that bigger clubs- both historic and current- than us have slipped down there and will do so in the future. Championship is full of medium and big clubs, would just take a bad start one year, some injuries,maybe a key player or 2 leaving.

Momentum in football and sport is really important and upwards momentum can really propel you forward...

However, on the flip side downward momentum can likewse drag you down and be really hard to stop.

Perspective... 2011 May we were lower midtable under Millen. (Was it 15th that year)? 2 and half years on, bottom 3 League one under O'Driscoll.

Six months ago, almost all of us would have accepted establishing ourselves as a top half Championship club as a decent target.

Personally, I would have been delighted finishing in the top half -  seeing twelfth as an aspiration.

Hitting second halfway through the season has, in a sense, altered that and changed perceptions. I hope that if we slip a bit in coming months, we can keep balanced and not turn negative. We now have fans who see promotion and Premier League status as a reasonable hope; it is, but most objective analysts would see us as overachieving at the moment, and bigger clubs as more likely to go up (eg Derby, Villa).

So my plea  is - by all means hope for promotion, but let’s stay sensible if we drop back to mid table, and see it as a step forward.

49 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Momentum....

Last year Reading were flying, before that, Fulham. Look at them both at this point in time.

It would seem that Swansea and Bournemouths momentum is grinding to a halt, whilst Huddersfield are going well.

Over longer term, look at clubs like Pompey, Leeds etc.

Point is, form is temporary, class is permanent. I think what we are building is first class, modern, forward thinking. Whatever happens on the pitch the club has a progressive outlook. Something I dare say we have never grasped fully before.

Anyway. We will finish second this year, win the League Cup, and probably get top 4 Prem next year, although I'd probably settle for top 6 if offered it now. 

Good point, and with the development of the club and the forward-thinking nature of City at the moment, like you said - progressive outlook - it's all very different to what we've seen in the past.

Who takes most of the credit for all of this?  Is it the long-term strategy of SL starting to reap rewards?

See your location is Bournemouth, always wondered how the fans cope with such a small stadium - it must drive them bonkers.  Do they tend to have any interest in what City are up to?

Archived