IGNORED

Is Tuesday's game even bigger than Walsall in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final?

LondonBristolian

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is very true. In fact I’m trying to recall a big cup shock that’s occurred over two legs - league cup semis, play off semis, European knockout rounds. Nothing springs to mind.

Anyone think of any examples?

Bradford v Villa

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Liverpool in every round before winning the Champions League a decade or so ago?

Good shout. Just looked it up and they overcame Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea.

Leverkusen I wouldn’t call a shock, I’m not sure how strong Juve were at the time, but certainly Chelsea would have been favourites.

I guess true “shocks” over two legs are rare because two-legged ties don’t tend to occur between two very mismatched teams.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is very true. In fact I’m trying to recall a big cup shock that’s occurred over two legs - league cup semis, play off semis, European knockout rounds. Nothing springs to mind.

Couple of years back - Swansea knocked out Chelsea and Bradford knocked out Arsenal, even if someone has pointed out above that - by Arsenal, I actually mean Villa.

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We beat the mighty world renowned Bristol Rovers over 2 legs in the Coca Cola Cup in ‘97!!!

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

In terms of potential financial reward, Hull at Wembley in 2008 is the biggest game in my 35 years watching City.

Wasn’t it billed as the most lucrative single game in World football, being worth about £80m.  What’s promotion worth now, £150m with parachute payments? 

52 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

York against Manchester Red mid 90s?

Edit- didnt Bradford make the final a few years ago? I assume their semif final was an upset.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

That Hull game at Wembley has given me nightmares for years. I stopped going down AG for a while as I was so p*ssed off! Just could not take anymore, whereas Man City is different as no one gives a chance so am OK if we lose. 

IMO, there is a bigger plan ahead for us - that I am sure off! If not this year, in next 3-5 years I firmly believe/hope!

Me too mate, this year my love is really back, that feel good feel again

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Good shout. Just looked it up and they overcame Leverkusen, Juventus and Chelsea.

Leverkusen I wouldn’t call a shock, I’m not sure how strong Juve were at the time, but certainly Chelsea would have been favourites.

I guess true “shocks” over two legs are rare because two-legged ties don’t tend to occur between two very mismatched teams.

They were underdogs, but still had some damn fine players.

For me by a country mile the biggest football upset I have ever witnessed was Leicester winning the league, over 38 legs.

Over two legs, 1984, Metz lost 4-2 at home to Barça, and then winning the away leg 4-1, having been 1-0 down after 30 mins. Cup winners cup I think. Remember watching the highlights at night and thinking ‘why have they put this game on first?’

Shows it is always possible, however unlikely.

The FA Cup was at one time (1970’s) the biggest thing with the league in second place (open to debate I’d agree)

Now, the Champions League dominates everything, followed by the Premiership title, the FA then the League Cup. The Frieght Rover never counted, nor did the Anglo Scottish. As for the other European thing. Not really sure, but I suspect probably less kudos than the FA Cup. 

As such. The League Cup is currently the 5th most important piece of silverware and that’s that. 

N.B Forgot to add membership of the Premiership which actually seems more important that winning the League Cup and possibly the FA Cup. Due to the prestige and absurd money that come along with promotion. 

Looking forward to it, but Norwich Saturday in much more important. 

As such, we have F### all to lose, no one gives us a cat in hells chance. We can play the ball about better than most Premiership sides and we’ve got 8 thousand people prepared to shout their faces off making the trip to watch us. Let’s stick it up em’  

Not since the last round have I wanted to win a game so much that I don’t give a crap about. 

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

with the best will in the world.these are different gravy to the other teams we faced back then .

I also think Slarti and it's not an age thing, that in the 60s and 70s such games actually meant something. There was a genuine excitement and expectation. These days it really doesn't matter, either to us or our superior opponents. Possibly for us inferiors it was to do with getting on TV (if only brief highlights) whereas the world and his wife can see goals fly in seconds after they have anywhere across the globe these days. The mockery of Europe has derided and devalued the fact that Champions or Cup Winners needed to be exactly that, such it meant something in those domestic competitions. It's now all about ranked value and, frankly, if it turns you on whether you finish 4th or 5th in the league, or qualify for a completion by reaching the semi final and having the fewest bookings, then that's a sport that deserves disinterest. I went to Watford Saturday and I really don't know why? I forecast we'd lose 3 zip, had no expectation of us scoring, had not one jot of adrenaline either end and couldn't give a monkey's about our result or performance. And if I don't why should the players? It's not the gravy that's different, it's that fact there's now 'Jus' on my food and I don't care for the taste.

13 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I also think Slarti and it's not an age thing, that in the 60s and 70s such games actually meant something. There was a genuine excitement and expectation. These days it really doesn't matter, either to us or our superior opponents. Possibly for us inferiors it was to do with getting on TV (if only brief highlights) whereas the world and his wife can see goals fly in seconds after they have anywhere across the globe these days. The mockery of Europe has derided and devalued the fact that Champions or Cup Winners needed to be exactly that, such it meant something in those domestic competitions. It's now all about ranked value and, frankly, if it turns you on whether you finish 4th or 5th in the league, or qualify for a completion by reaching the semi final and having the fewest bookings, then that's a sport that deserves disinterest. I went to Watford Saturday and I really don't know why? I forecast we'd lose 3 zip, had no expectation of us scoring, had not one jot of adrenaline either end and couldn't give a monkey's about our result or performance. And if I don't why should the players? It's not the gravy that's different, it's that fact there's now 'Jus' on my food and I don't care for the taste.

probably got something there Beet.  Certainly about the Watford game.  I and Nige went to  FGR v Port Vale, do you know ,for the first time in YEARS when City were playing I was incommunicado (re scores etc.) and I didn't give a flying one! Heard the result  on Sports Report (like I used to in the mid 60's) and just shrugged.....no "oh ****" or anything.  Like you at Watford, I'm going, but don't really know why, I guess it's just expected . It may be the biggest turn up since Leeds, but very much doubt it.

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Has to be up there with

Spurs League Cup Semis 71

Portsmouth 76

Coventry 77

Forest Semis 1989 would have to rank alongside Spurs 1971 and Man City 2018.

In terms of important unforgettable "wins", Portsmouth 1976 and Coventry 1977 will never be surpassed.

Leeds 1974  and Liverpool 1994  are up there too. 

Closely followed by Bradford 2016.

Bradford 1988 was quite memorable too, not to mention Wembley 1986.

16 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Or, to put my question a bit more seriously, where does this rank for you in terms of the biggest games you can remember Bristol City playing? I'm particularly interested to hear from older fans as my memories of City only go back to 1990 so I can't make a comparison with our last League Cup semi-final or anything before that.

For me, I think it is bigger than Liverpool or even Man Utd by virtue of it being a semi-final (not to mention against the best team in the country). I suppose rationally it's not as big a game as the play-off final due to the amount that was riding on that but I think I'm more excited than I was for that because I think, with a play-off final, you are just terrified about your entire season going up in smoke...

Those two games are just a side dish from the main menu, a little taster and have no bearing on the worth of the Club  with regard to reputation and worth. The only way we can address this is to get promoted and stay there, and even challenge the elite, anything less for a City of this size is crumbs.

The biggest game I can recall is the promotion to old Div 1 when we beat Pompey, all on at the end, very emotional. Driving through Totterdown to work the morning after seeing all the houses bedecked with City flags etc still brings a tear.   

But... the recent beating of Man U was nothing but good for the club as far as putting the Club in the Limelight, that's why we need to cash in on that, but we are City, and I fear we won't. 

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just popped over to the Man City forum. They have a vote on what they think the result will be. Currently stands as follows:

Win - 261 votes - 96%

Draw - 4 votes - 1.5%

Loss - 7 votes - 2.6%

They appear to be confident.

I'd like to talk to the 6 other people who voted Loss.

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just popped over to the Man City forum. They have a vote on what they think the result will be. Currently stands as follows:

Win - 261 votes - 96%

Draw - 4 votes - 1.5%

Loss - 7 votes - 2.6%

They appear to be confident.

About the same as the Manchester Red fans predicted.

Archived