IGNORED

Ryan Kent - recalled from Freiburg, and now signed on loan.

Dastardly and Muttley

19 hours ago, Cider red said:

Looks genuinely two footed!

Would hope so too.

If he was only one footed he'd keep falling over and would have to hop everywhere - would save on football socks though!

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Normally the rules are you gave to be registered ahead of the 1st game, so I'm thinking nope.

It seems to be different in the Carabao Cup to the FA Cup's rules on replays...

6.2 A registered player is: 

6.2.1 in the case of an EFL Club, one who would be registered and eligible to participate in a League Competition match commencing at the same time and on the same date as the Competition match in accordance with the provisions of EFL Regulations; and 

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

There's nothing in there specific to the semi-finals so I read that as he will be available since he'd be available for a league match at the same time, he's available for the second leg.

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Probably on here somewhere but in his interview he says something along the lines of it would be stupid to think we can't get promoted to the Premier League. What an opening gambit. I like him already. He certainly sounds like a confident lad and I'm looking forward to seeing him play tmrw. 

COYR :city:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-loan-in-liverpool-s-kent/

What a sensible lad , will be a great addition.

12 minutes ago, Olé said:

Is his parody Twitter account live yet? I've been desperately missing Jonathan Leko's one.

Hopefully not. I did notice that there's a Marlon Pack twitter account which I think is tying to look official and such but it's blatantly obvious that it isn't really him. I only found it because Liam Walsh liked a tweet from it congratulating him on his debut 

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

What a sensible lad , will be a great addition.

Welcome to BS3 Ryan. Certainly presented well in the interview IMO. Explaining that he had a high regard for LJ, our style of play and our fans. Even referred to Bristol City throughout and our style of play suiting his own ‘identity’. Pretty much ticks all the boxes I think.

3 hours ago, extonsred said:

'Bristol are going to be frighteningly good this second half of the season.'   Hmm - lets hope this is right! Certainly must think we are doing ok so far which is pretty good for a Leeds fan!!

After the man city game my leeds mate said he was proud to know a Bristol City fan! i agree 95% of them are deluded, but the odd comment gets through.

This was part of a football league scout report before he joined Barnsley.

The Player

Minutes aside however, Barnsley fans have reason to be optimistic. Most often described (somewhat deceptively) as a winger, Kent has two beautifully balanced feet, generous pace, and oozes confidence in possession.

By his own account, he plied his trade at Liverpool as a left winger and has since developed his game on the right at Coventry, but to the casual observer looks thoroughly comfortable anywhere in between.

Into which of these roles he’ll develop as player at Barnsley remains to be seen, but striding through the middle is undoubtedly where Kent is at his most expressive. Blessed with pace and purpose in his movement, perhaps his defining characteristic is a remarkable ability to pass a man at speed with minimal change in direction, often simply by shifting the ball from foot-to-foot. So good at this is he, that it’s perhaps the second man behind the one he beats that he fails to account for when the midfield is congested.

Yet whilst he may lose possession every once in a while, this is perhaps the price of his directness. He does not ponder, always looks to make the meaningful pass and as a rule of thumb his only direction is forwards. Should he progress, the Ross Barkley comparisons will come thick and fast.

With so little senior game-time and only a single goal under his belt, it remains to be seen whether or not his finishing – classy in his showreel at least – will exhibit consistency when it matters. Yet with 91 goals in all competitions last season, this is perhaps not the reason Barnsley opened their chequebook anyway.

Lloyd Isgrove visibly flourished on the Barnsley wing last season on loan from Southampton, having come away with a solitary goal (albeit a precious, playoff final header at Wembley), but made himself right at home as part of a fluent, dynamic attack that took great pleasure in bending organised defences out of shape.

Tykes boss Paul Heckingbottom has publically lauded Kent not only for his “fearless” propensity to take on a player, but also his more practical sensibility to put good balls into the box. There are surely a number of (more experienced) players Barnsley could have attempted to sign if they simply wanted someone to loft looping crosses into the area, but urgency in attack is treasured in South Yorkshire right now, and this is maybe where the logic behind gambling on Kent becomes more apparent.

For all his driving at defenders, Kent is not generally inclined to find an angle to shoot, so much as he is to make for the byline and fire low, accurate cutbacks across the box. This should suit 25-goal man Sam Winnall down to the ground as he looks to open his account in the Championship.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

This was part of a football league scout report before he joined Barnsley.

The Player

Minutes aside however, Barnsley fans have reason to be optimistic. Most often described (somewhat deceptively) as a winger, Kent has two beautifully balanced feet, generous pace, and oozes confidence in possession.

By his own account, he plied his trade at Liverpool as a left winger and has since developed his game on the right at Coventry, but to the casual observer looks thoroughly comfortable anywhere in between.

Into which of these roles he’ll develop as player at Barnsley remains to be seen, but striding through the middle is undoubtedly where Kent is at his most expressive. Blessed with pace and purpose in his movement, perhaps his defining characteristic is a remarkable ability to pass a man at speed with minimal change in direction, often simply by shifting the ball from foot-to-foot. So good at this is he, that it’s perhaps the second man behind the one he beats that he fails to account for when the midfield is congested.

Yet whilst he may lose possession every once in a while, this is perhaps the price of his directness. He does not ponder, always looks to make the meaningful pass and as a rule of thumb his only direction is forwards. Should he progress, the Ross Barkley comparisons will come thick and fast.

With so little senior game-time and only a single goal under his belt, it remains to be seen whether or not his finishing – classy in his showreel at least – will exhibit consistency when it matters. Yet with 91 goals in all competitions last season, this is perhaps not the reason Barnsley opened their chequebook anyway.

Lloyd Isgrove visibly flourished on the Barnsley wing last season on loan from Southampton, having come away with a solitary goal (albeit a precious, playoff final header at Wembley), but made himself right at home as part of a fluent, dynamic attack that took great pleasure in bending organised defences out of shape.

Tykes boss Paul Heckingbottom has publically lauded Kent not only for his “fearless” propensity to take on a player, but also his more practical sensibility to put good balls into the box. There are surely a number of (more experienced) players Barnsley could have attempted to sign if they simply wanted someone to loft looping crosses into the area, but urgency in attack is treasured in South Yorkshire right now, and this is maybe where the logic behind gambling on Kent becomes more apparent.

For all his driving at defenders, Kent is not generally inclined to find an angle to shoot, so much as he is to make for the byline and fire low, accurate cutbacks across the box. This should suit 25-goal man Sam Winnall down to the ground as he looks to open his account in the Championship.

This looks very exciting.

48 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think he`s only the third Ryan we`ve had.

He shouldn`t have to try too hard to be better than the previous two though, Messrs. McGivern and Taylor

Dont forget Fredericks and Harley with a combined 5 appearances between them! 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt walsh will start. I'd be surprised if Kent does too. I reckon it will be unchanged, with both coming on at some point along with Taylor. 

Maybe put Joe back to LB, Pato on the LHS and Walsh behind Bobby? Very attacking but we're at home I suppose. Kent to come on on either side later replacing Pato / Josh / Pack / Korey as Josh can move into the middle as can Walsh so Kent could go behind Bobby I suppose. Imagine those two coming at you with their pace?? 

One thing that we really could have done with more of in attack is pace, and this lad seems to have that in spades.

The fact he can fill in for Paterson, and maybe help bring Brownhill back into playing a central role, and let Bryan go back to left back too are all important little shifts his signing helps us with.

Add Walsh as a player who can rotate with Korey, Pack and Brownhill and I’m pleased we seem pleased we look to be signing players to maintain our style and set up.

Do think the option of a more physical presence up top is required to give us another dimension, so fingers crossed we see one of Djuric or Diehiou back sooner rather than later.

Archived