IGNORED

Ryan Kent - recalled from Freiburg, and now signed on loan.

Dastardly and Muttley

3 minutes ago, samo II said:

One thing that we really could have done with more of in attack is pace, and this lad seems to have that in spades.

The fact he can fill in for Paterson, and maybe help bring Brownhill back into playing a central role, and let Bryan go back to left back too are all important little shifts his signing helps us with.

Add Walsh as a player who can rotate with Korey, Pack and Brownhill and I’m pleased we seem pleased we look to be signing players to maintain our style and set up.

Do think the option of a more physical presence up top is required to give us another dimension, so fingers crossed we see one of Djuric or Diehiou back sooner rather than later.

We should be able to add COD to that too soon, looking good isn't it? 

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We should be able to add COD to that too soon, looking good isn't it? 

Is he close to being back?  I was under the impression he still had a while to go.

Either way; yes - we’ve an exiting set of players in the midfield, once they are all fit.  I’d not even mentioned Eliasson, who I think will eventually be a decent player for us.

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I doubt walsh will start. I'd be surprised if Kent does too. I reckon it will be unchanged, with both coming on at some point along with Taylor. 

I would be very surprised if both dont start. With the run of games we have had and the games coming up we desperately need to rotate and rest our top players without weakening the side which is why we have brought in real quality. We simply cannot expect the same 11 to play every game. That would be suicide. 

11 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Seriously??

like we wasted our time developing Tammy last year?  If I have been “wooshed”, then fair cop, otherwise, seriously?.

We did waste our time with Tammy. 

We developed someone else's asset.  He was a player right enough, but we're a better team without him.  Simple as that really.  I know it's not a popular view but this season confirms my point.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think he`s only the third Ryan we`ve had.

He shouldn`t have to try too hard to be better than the previous two though, Messrs. McGivern and Taylor

Mark Little might just recall another, although he only stayed here for a few weeks before returning to London due to 'homesickness'..

3 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Fully expect both him and Walsh to start tomorrow. Two very exciting signings who will freshen things up, enable  Lee to rotate more and add quality to a top squad. We are really going for it. 

It's great we've got a couple in to rest a few when needed , plus we've got 5 playing out of position too make up for injuries.  Kent looks like a carbon copy of pato and walshy could cover cm. Those 12/13 players have played almost every minute since the injuries hit and the players need a rest if we're going to be pushing for promotion come April

1 hour ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Great. Let's waste our time developing someone else's player again. FFS. 

Hang on chaps, you're rubbishing Rob but he has a point. I would rather we develop our own than somebody elses. If COD is fit and back to his pre-injury form, wouldn't you rather he played than a player who will be back on merseyside in 5 months?

While RK is here, we don't have to rush anybody back but I would rather get promoted with OUR players than someone elses TBH. Let's use him to our advantage while giving the lad experience and getting our own match fit. Come on, we can do this! 

1 hour ago, Rednwhiterob said:

We developed someone else's asset.  He was a player right enough, but we're a better team without him.  Simple as that really.  I know it's not a popular view but this season confirms my point.

Spot on fella, have a like :thumbsup:. I agree with you.

It’s a decision for Lee Johnson to make on loan players!

We can sit here on our keyboards and think to know what is happening at the Club. Our club manager has made a call on the fact he can get a good young player in on loan. What we don’t know is what budget he has been given to sign a player permently. If Ryan Kent is better that the budget given to sign another player he has made the right call. 

We need to keep our eyes on the prize of what we could achieve at the end of the season. Currently we are short of players and the bench has been weak so when taking a player off we have weakened the team on the pitch.  

Lee just like his father 10 years ago is concerned about upsetting the balance of the changing room. This current team has got us up here let’s sit back and enjoy the ride of this roller coaster until the end of the season. 

The balance in the changing room is key and currently players are running through brick walls for each other. We don’t want anothe Lee Tomlin to upset the balance. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

No but it might be a bit soon for Kent to start, considering he only arrived here yesterday. Has he even trained with us yet? If Walsh starts then it's for pack imo. But I can't see him leaving pack out. But hey we'll see, whatever happens Johnson knows best.

Not a guestion of 'leaving players out' its all about resting/rotating our top players so they dont get burnt out and are able to perform at their best at all times. Who to say that if we got promoted thst we would not try to get Kent in on a permanent ? he might be contracted for several years but he is way down the pecking order at Pool. 

I hope this isn't a sign that Eliasson will be seeing next to no minutes for the rest of the season, I know he's been hit and miss but I have high hopes for him.

Kent is closer to Leko than he is to Paterson, although he's definitely more tactically/defensively aware.

12 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

So it has nothing to do with other player's improvements following from coaching, added experience, added hunger, a more balanced system, a top drawer centre back, a record fee striker, Bobby Reid announcing himself along with Joe Bryan? You can't infer anything about where we would be now with Tammy, he wasn't dragging 10 others down! 

Personally, I think we would be a MUCH better team right now with Tammy leading the line and sticking to our current system. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

So it has nothing to do with other player's improvements following from coaching, added experience, added hunger, a more balanced system, a top drawer centre back, a record fee striker, Bobby Reid announcing himself along with Joe Bryan? You can't infer anything about where we would be now with Tammy, he wasn't dragging 10 others down! 

Personally, I think we would be a MUCH better team right now with Tammy leading the line and sticking to our current system. 

Fair points but I don't think TA or RK have been brought here to improve other players. They are at the wrong end of the experience spectrum.

I don't think you can say we wasted our time with Tammy last season given his goals pretty much kept us in the division. No guarantee a striker we could/would have brought in permanently would have done as well for us. 

4 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Fair points but I don't think TA or RK have been brought here to improve other players. They are at the wrong end of the experience spectrum.

I totally accept they are here for purely selfish reasons to improve and move on with their parent club. But every player - Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid - should feel the same. Players have a short career and their ceiling is higher than ours in the time they are playing. For instance LJ says Europa League in 5 years... I reckon those 2 could be there quicker, so home grown or not they need to see us as a stepping stone. 

For them we get a fee. Great. For TA and RK we dont. Imagine if RK scored the winner v Sheff Utd and it counted for more than 3 points. It was worth blocking one of our own, his loan and and any penalties we may have to pay for missed appearances with one kick. 

What about the immeasurable impact he had? Did him being around the club help Bobby Reid develop (which we're profiting from this season)?

Most of the better managers are cautious about relying too much on loans, for all the pretty obvious reasons listed above. But the loan system  has become an established part of the game and used sparingly and wisely it can help resolve temporary player shortages when no permanent solution is Immediately available. I understand the point being made by Rob , and don’t deny at all that it has some validity, but with respect and given the outcome, I don’t think many people would argue that taking Tammy for the season did not serve the club’s best interests, given the circumstances at the time.

We will only really be able to judge whether Eliasson’s development has been adversely affected by the signing of Kent when, say, another year has passed. It took about that long for O’Dowda to mature as a player. Brownhill too, for that matter, needed time. LJ  has not got too much wrong in the handling of these young talents and he seems to have concluded for the moment that Eliasson is not ready, so in the meantime additional cover is required. From what I’ve seen so far, I’d have to agree, though like LJ I do think he is an exciting long term prospect. Kent has nearly 50 games under his belt at this level and is ready to go. I don’t think he will start today, but I suspect Walsh will, and that we may see a cameo from Kent late on, depending on the state of the game. Personally, I think this is a good signing - there’s a reason Leeds and a number of other top-half Championship clubs were interested.

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I totally accept they are here for purely selfish reasons to improve and move on with their parent club. But every player - Joe Bryan and Bobby Reid - should feel the same. Players have a short career and their ceiling is higher than ours in the time they are playing. For instance LJ says Europa League in 5 years... I reckon those 2 could be there quicker, so home grown or not they need to see us as a stepping stone. 

For them we get a fee. Great. For TA and RK we dont. Imagine if RK scored the winner v Sheff Utd and it counted for more than 3 points. It was worth blocking one of our own, his loan and and any penalties we may have to pay for missed appearances with one kick. 

I can see your point.  Let's hope he does make the difference.

2 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Most of the better managers are cautious about relying too much on loans, for all the pretty obvious reasons listed above. But the loan system  has become an established part of the game and used sparingly and wisely it can help resolve temporary player shortages when no permanent solution is Immediately available. I understand the point being made by Rob , and don’t deny at all that it has some validity, but with respect and given the outcome, I don’t think many people would argue that taking Tammy for the season did not serve the club’s best interests, given the circumstances at the time.

We will only really be able to judge whether Eliasson’s development has been adversely affected by the signing of Kent when, say, another year has passed. It took about that long for O’Dowda to mature as a player. Brownhill too, for that matter, needed time. LJ  has not got too much wrong in the handling of these young talents and he seems to have concluded for the moment that Eliasson is not ready, so in the meantime additional cover is required. From what I’ve seen so far, I’d have to agree, though like LJ I do think he is an exciting long term prospect. Kent has nearly 50 games under his belt at this level and is ready to go. I don’t think he will start today, but I suspect Walsh will, and that we may see a cameo from Kent late on, depending on the state of the game. Personally, I think this is a good signing - there’s a reason Leeds and a number of other top-half Championship clubs were interested.

Great post.  Maybe I am too black and white in stating my position. 

The loan system has changed recently and the concept of loan fees etc to rent a player just switches me off. 

I'd agree that maybe concluding TA was bad for us is a bit short sighted and in hindsight few, carefully selected loans are probably a strategic solution in the right circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Great post.  Maybe I am too black and white in stating my position. 

The loan system has changed recently and the concept of loan fees etc to rent a player just switches me off. 

I'd agree that maybe concluding TA was bad for us is a bit short sighted and in hindsight few, carefully selected loans are probably a strategic solution in the right circumstances.

Thanks Rob. We don’t see things all that differently really - and I sympathise entirely with your response to these strings-attached loans that have started to creep in to the system. If true, some of the conditions I’ve read about are outrageous and I would have thought that “**** off” would be the only sane response. Big clubs throwing their weight around and Liverpool seem to be in the forefront of this development.

It would appear that we’ve accepted some such agreement over Kent and while that makes me uneasy, two factors help to alleviate that. One I’ve already mentioned is that the player has a full Championship season with Barnsley behind him, so we know in advance that he can cut it at this level and is likely to get game time. (I believe he was voted their player of the year at Oakwell.) Secondly, I’ve got a certain amount of faith now in our negotiators and I don’t think Ashton would allow the club to be held to ransom over a loan deal, so I’m guessing the terms are reasonable and that we think Kent will, in any case, make enough appearances to prevent it becoming an issue.

Archived