IGNORED

Where should I live?

BRISTOL86

I’m a year or 18 months away from this being an actual issue but I’m already thinking about it. 

I’m eyeing a house move and obviously keen to get as much for my money as possible. 

I’ve only lived in one or two parts of Bristol in my life and this time am open to all ideas. 

The criteria is that it has to be within a 45 minute door to door car commute of the Temple Meads area. We are currently in Oldland Common and that’s about 30 mins on a bad day so logically can kind of go about half as far out again. 

I quite like the idea of somewhere like the little villages between my current area and Chippenham on the A420. I like the idea of somewhere a little less built up and with a bit more countryside. 

Where would you be looking? I’m not really tied to anywhere in particular (other than for work hence the commute time constraint) so keeping my options open. 

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’m a year or 18 months away from this being an actual issue but I’m already thinking about it. 

I’m eyeing a house move and obviously keen to get as much for my money as possible. 

I’ve only lived in one or two parts of Bristol in my life and this time am open to all ideas. 

The criteria is that it has to be within a 45 minute door to door car commute of the Temple Meads area. We are currently in Oldland Common and that’s about 30 mins on a bad day so logically can kind of go about half as far out again. 

I quite like the idea of somewhere like the little villages between my current area and Chippenham on the A420. I like the idea of somewhere a little less built up and with a bit more countryside. 

Where would you be looking? I’m not really tied to anywhere in particular (other than for work hence the commute time constraint) so keeping my options open. 

I have been looking east of Bristol for my next move. Currently work in Chippenham and its about a 45 min commute door to door from the Kingswood area.

The big question is what's your budget? Buying/renting?

I would personally be looking for a 3 bed to move into in that direction and they start at around £250k depending on location.

Anything along the M4 corridor would make a commute back into Bristol relatively quick but the prices rise accordingly. Ouskirts of Chippenham itself might appeal, on the mainline for the train which would get you to Temple Meads in about 25 mins. Bar the 3 or 4 main A roads in Wiltshire, getting about takes time on those country roads.

If you want the perfect balance of commutable yet in the sticks, you'll probably have to pay a premium for that. The further out you go and the prices drop, the longer it takes to get back to civilisation. Some really lovely affordable places to live out in the back of beyond but you can forget your 45 min commute!

Perhaps consider north of Bristol. Somewhere in the Cotswolds or even over the bridge, SE Wales, Monmouthsire and surrounding areas are pretty affordable for now but that'll all change soon once the bridge tolls go in 2019.

15 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Good investment right now would be Magor/Undy/Chepstow or Newport... once those tolls go later in the year prices will skyrocket. 

We won’t be in a position to move until at least mid 2019 realistically - and being sensible it’d probably be end 2019/early 2020. I know a few from that area who commute to Bristol and all constantly bemoan the commute. 

That’s why I’m thinking the direction I was. My commute is quite tolerable all things considered and another 15-20 mins further away but in the same general direction wouldn’t be too taxing.  

Budget wise we’re probably looking at £350k top end and hoping for a 4 bed detached house. Could just about get that where we are now but they’d be on the lower end of the market for the property type. I figured that in the main, going a little further afield might get us a little more for the budget. 

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

We won’t be in a position to move until at least mid 2019 realistically. I know a few from that area who commute to Bristol and all constantly bemoan the commute. 

That’s why I’m thinking the direction I was. My commute is quite tolerable all things considered and another 15-20 mins further away but in the same general direction wouldn’t be too taxing.  

Budget wise we’re probably looking at £350k top end and hoping for a 4 bed detached house. Could just about get that where we are now but they’d be on the lower end of the market for the property type. I figured that in the main, going a little further afield might get us a little more for the budget. 

Somewhere like Yatton used to be fairly decent price. 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We won’t be in a position to move until at least mid 2019 realistically - and being sensible it’d probably be end 2019/early 2020. I know a few from that area who commute to Bristol and all constantly bemoan the commute. 

You could certainly get that in the current market but i think you're going to have to bite the bullet on the commute time if you do go east. A420 is ok but gets snagged up in WIck most days due to the A46/M4 commuters.

Unless you're close to a junction on the M4, you'll be looking at an hour+ I imagine.

I live in Monmouthshire . I love it over here. Minimal traffic , semi rural lifestyle , close enough to Bristol , Glos or Newport, a real good quality of life plus a great place to raise a family. If you live near STJ , you wouldn't even have to worry about the motorways , with regular trains to Temple Meads. Recommended and worth checking out.

• Admin

Not sure what time you commute, but I’d be wary of your assumption that going half as far out again, will result in a equal commuting time increase.  Also take into account that the morons in charge of the traffic in Bristol seem intent on making it more and more difficult to get round by car, without providing any workable alternative, I have plenty of confidence that it will be worse in 2/3 years time......

• Admin
7 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

No worries about the future of Bristol’s traffic, Marvin will have his tunnels well underway in 2/3 years :whistle:

An underground would be fantastic, I have my doubts that if I obtained immortality I would see any improvements to the shambolic and anti-car policies.

Areas like Corsham or Colerne are decent and commutable.

Check this sort of gaff:

Stone Close, Corsham
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70880009.html

You're best looking at properties on the Rightmove app and moving the map around east of Oldland Common etc and you’ll find places (inc those STC) to see what areas offer what you may want. Plenty of time to visit areas, go for a coffee etc.

• Admin

I live in Whitchurch, it has various parts, some of which are more desirable than others, although nowhere is bad.  Whitchurch village is in BANES, most of the rest of Whitchurch and Whitchurch Park is in Bristol, I like where I live, back onto farmland, quiet and I have no idea about schools as I have no need for them.  Couple of friends who have kids send them to Chew Valley school.

1 hour ago, Kotsy said:

Can anyone here shed some light on the Whitchurch / Hengrove area? 

You seem to be able to get a lot more for your money around there, is there anything in particular driving house prices down? Someone told me the schools weren't great which would certainly contribute.

I grew up in Whitchurch (which is certainly nicer than Hengrove IMO - I went to school there). I’m still over there constantly to see family and I must say I wouldn’t rush to move back there. Whitchurch village is quite different (nicer) than the area that I grew up which was around the Ridgeway Lane/Fortfield Rd area.

No idea what schools are like these days -  I went to Whitchurch Primary which is up in the village near the Toby. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Better get there sooner rather than later if the planners predictions are accurate - they reckon Bristol and Bath will join up by 2050, making Keynsham and Saltford suburbs.  :blink:

So much for our green and pleasant land.....  A bit of population control would help.

• Admin
On 08/01/2018 at 15:09, Tomarse said:

Good investment right now would be Magor/Undy/Chepstow or Newport... once those tolls go later in the year prices will skyrocket. 

I have got a couple of mates who live in Magor, they are already seeing prices rise faster than they have ever known over there.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just out of interest, why car commute to Temple Meads? You can get a train into Temple Meads from Taunton in 35 minutes. Taking a car into the centre of Bristol makes little sense - unless of course you need it when you’re there.

Not everyone commutes at the times public transport runs.........

8 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just out of interest, why car commute to Temple Meads? You can get a train into Temple Meads from Taunton in 35 minutes. Taking a car into the centre of Bristol makes little sense - unless of course you need it when you’re there.

I don’t go as far as the centre - Feeder Rd area. I like to be in control of when I start my journey home rather than be bound by train times - I often stay late or work different hours as circumstances dictate - and I have free parking. So train travel would be slower, more expensive and less convenient. And if you don’t live walking distance from a station then you have to drive to the station anyway. All seems a bit too much effort to supposedly save the hassle of commuting!

On 12/01/2018 at 14:12, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Keynsham.  Easy for Bristol, easy for Bath, close to the ring road, rail station, good schools, Waitrose, house prices likely to rise as Bristol and Bath get more and more congested.   It's on the up.

I like Keynsham a lot to be fair. Walking distance to Brassmills for Sunday lunch would be a winner :icecream:

Archived