IGNORED

Marlon Pack?

YoungRed

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well that’s rubbish...were you at the game vs Man Utd? If so, did you miss the sublime FORWARD pass by Marlon Pack to Joe for his wonder goal? Totally fed up with people saying Pack never passes forward, total rubbish...

This is 100% true a kind of Pass Pack attempts and often pulls off a lot of the time but seems to go un-noticed. I think and I don't mean to sound patronising here but it is hard to truely appreciate a 'Pack' type player if you haven't played the game yourself to a decent standard and know how difficult being the "boring" player in the team is, because as we all know every team has one

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Pack is hard working and has a good engine on him but is not attacking enough he seldom breaks into the oppositions box and seems frightened to shoot i would happily replace him with a 5 to 10 goal a season midfielder

Its all good saying this, but would this 5-10 goal a season midfielder offer the defensive capabilities as Pack? If he does, then he wont be wanting to play in the Championship.

PS. vs Wolves, he made Neves, (a 13M pound player) look 10% of what he is worth.   

14 hours ago, YoungRed said:

Would just like to ask the question to get everyone's opinion on in my eyes without a doubt our Best midfielder. Seems like Pack doesn't get the plaudits he deserves by fans or LJ as seems Brownhill and Smith would get the nod ahead of him if could only play 2 out of the 3. All good players but just think Pack is the only player who never stops wanting the ball and will always look to play forward.

Just as Cole Skuse didn't get the plaudits either. It's the unglamorous role of a defensive midfielder unfortunately.

Isn't it funny how people have different opinions on what midfielders should be/do.

I think Pack is excellent.

I'm not comparing them but I don't remember Carrick and Pirlo getting the plaudits they did until they were into their 30's.

Just skimmed though this sonsorry if the point has been raised. Just responding to the fact that someone commented about it being a Pack v Brownhill debate and Brownhill has been a bit off in a couple of games lately. Brownhill picks up a knock and it affects his game, Pack doesn’t ever look like he feels it. I remember last season he got hit full in the face by the ball, it must have really hurt and the crowd gasped and expected him to fall to the floor because of the force. He didn’t even hold his face, hard as nails. We need players like him.

37 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Isn't it funny how people have different opinions on what midfielders should be/do.

I think Pack is excellent.

I'm not comparing them but I don't remember Carrick and Pirlo getting the plaudits they did until they were into their 30's.

Agreed and with these types of players they may go unnoticed when they play but you sure can feel the void when they are out the team.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Just skimmed though this sonsorry if the point has been raised. Just responding to the fact that someone commented about it being a Pack v Brownhill debate and Brownhill has been a bit off in a couple of games lately. Brownhill picks up a knock and it affects his game, Pack doesn’t ever look like he feels it. I remember last season he got hit full in the face by the ball, it must have really hurt and the crowd gasped and expected him to fall to the floor because of the force. He didn’t even hold his face, hard as nails. We need players like him.

Pogba's got alot to learn from Pack about not falling over!

9 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Everyone in the team was poor v villa. Brownhill had a mare. Hutton tackled him and then went past him every time. 

I think you are missing my point.

It matters not what you or I or anybody else thinks, the substitutions of Pack and Magnússon at Villa followed a familiar pattern and that pattern is when we are not playing well Pack and or Magnússon usually find themselves substituted usually followed up by a spell on the bench and I don't think that LJ can be criticised this season for his decision making, do you?.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well that’s rubbish...were you at the game vs Man Utd? If so, did you miss the sublime FORWARD pass by Marlon Pack to Joe for his wonder goal? Totally fed up with people saying Pack never passes forward, total rubbish...

Exactly. I think it's a bit of an illusion because he's on the ball so much. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets the highest average touches per game. Because of that, lots of his passes will be safe 'chess move' type passes because of the phase of play he's largely involved with - the defensive third through the midfield to the attacking third.

He's always available, wins lots in the air and is a calming influence on the team. Capable of great attacking passing too.

One thing I would like is a few more goals from him. He can hit a ball very well and think he's capable of a few screamers.

I like Pack, I can see if we get promoted him thriving at premiership level. Be a bit of a Cork type player but in the pecking order it goes, imo, Brownhill > Smith > Pack. That’s not a bad thing as the first 2 are quality, as is Pack, but at 22 Brownhill is ready for prem football, surprised we managed to tie him down with a new deal and Smith is just our mr reliable, has a bad game maybe 2 or 3 times a season but for the most part you can count on him. Pack I feel tends to go missing more and you often wonder why he’s playing in some games, then the next game he’s a bearded Gerrard dominating the game. Hope we can get him to sign a new deal, crucial to our game and squad moral. I think the day we see him or Flint go, the other won’t be far behind. 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why?  Because he played the same line as Baker - the player who sets the line - and allowed Doherty to be 3 yards behind him in an offside position.  Oh, but Wright didn’t get up, playing him on.  It ain’t always the player closest that’s the one to blame.

And then Frankie compounded it by having a ‘moment’.

Mags came roaring to the centre circle to try and take a man that was clearly bakers. He left an enourmous hole out wide. Baker i know was not that close but even so he would still need to round baker to cause any danger. Mags lost the shape, his fault all day long

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hollywood is both the best passer of the ball at the club..... and the worst! 

He has undoubtedly improved over the last two years.  He is still very frustrating at times and can be prone to going walkabouts, but on the whole I think he is a decent Championship midfielder, which two years ago I wouldn't have believed.  I don't think he'd make the step up to the Prem, personally, but definitely deserves more credit than he gets, that's for sure.

What Pack has done really well this season is find ways to compensate for what's missing in his game; chiefly mobility and pace. He's become much better at reading the game and figuring out the play before it's made. However, those deficiencies still remain and perhaps most pertinently, they don't exist in his positional rivals. He still has a vital role to play for us, but I personally believe Smith and Brownhill (who is the best midfielder we've owned in a long time imo) is our best pairing when everyone's fit

6 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

Guardiola just mentioned him first. So he rates him yet so many here don't....interesting!

In respect of passing he also mentioned Wright, incidentally next after Pack. I mean I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I suspect he was just naming names in that part. Being respectful. 

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Pack is underrated. Like Makelele just goes about his business making everyone else look good. 

I thought they targeted him tonight, stopped from looking forward, recognising what he can bring. 

I know it's not a night to criticise, but watching KDB run away from him for their goal, I think highlights where he will always struggle.

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Pack is underrated. Like Makelele just goes about his business making everyone else look good. 

I didn’t want us to play more 4141 than 4411, as I though Pack playing deeper, would mean we’d let them into us and struggle to impose ourselves on them with the ball.

But Pack, especially first half was brilliant.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought they targeted him tonight, stopped from looking forward, recognising what he can bring. 

I know it's not a night to criticise, but watching KDB run away from him for their goal, I think highlights where he will always struggle.

I tend to agree with you, but with regards the KDB moment, I believe Packs initial thought was to close down Toure, which left him in no mans land. He was 15 yards behind to start with. COYR 

34 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I tend to agree with you, but with regards the KDB moment, I believe Packs initial thought was to close down Toure, which left him in no mans land. He was 15 yards behind to start with. COYR 

He went to try to press Gundogan, but Bravo picked out KDB.  I don’t think we were quite in position to press on that occasion.  Shit happens, they are a fantastic team who we went toe to toe with.

Pack had a very good games, as did all of our players.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He went to try to press Gundogan, but Bravo picked out KDB.  I don’t think we were quite in position to press on that occasion.  Shit happens, they are a fantastic team who we went toe to toe with.

Pack had a very good games, as did all of our players.

Pep agrees..... And how good are these comments about our club?

Guardiola - who has been critical of defensive opponents this season - spoke to Johnson after the game.

"[I told him] big congratulations. He came here to try to play," said Guardiola.

"He tried to play because Marlon Pack is a good player and the striker has good mobility, so they had courage to play and that is why I think the game was really good for both sides.

"Both teams tried to play. They are up near the top in the Championship. I have a lot of respect for what they have done.

"It is of benefit for football, for fans and for everyone when two teams they go to the pitch and they want to play. When that happens it is up to us to find a way to overcome them.

On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 06:17, Sparkz 76 said:

Good player no doubt cost us the game vs wolves but was a rock vs Man U

No, no he didn't.

Go watch it again please.

Fielding cost us the game, with a insane rush of blood to the head.

After tonight, this feels stupid anyway - both FF and MP have been superb this season

Archived