IGNORED

'Relentless in the Pursuit of Excellence' Article in the Guardian

Stortz

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Some frightening stats here fella...http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11159961/how-do-you-beat-premier-league-leaders-manchester-city

Suggests breaking fast when they have ventured forward with wing backs and lost possession.

Most worrying thing is how much they play between centre half and full back and we are not playing with natural full backs 

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Most worrying thing is how much they play between centre half and full back and we are not playing with natural full backs 

Maybe that might help us? If wright and mags play they are cb's by trade, so maybe their first thought would be to defend and tuck in, restricting that space for man city to play in

1 minute ago, Forever Red 94 said:

Maybe that might help us? If wright and mags play they are cb's by trade, so maybe their first thought would be to defend and tuck in, restricting that space for man city to play in

You might be right, then I worry how we get out. :laughcont: got to keep the ball when we've got it

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

What was all that about. Two man wall a couple of yards from the bye line , rest of them on the edge of the 6 yard box. Schoolboy stuff doesn't even cover it tbh

It was absolutely the worst defending I've ever seen at a set piece at that level.

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I fear for Bailey if he plays RB.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was absolutely the worst defending I've ever seen at a set piece at that level.

What's the options though? Weaken the midfield by playing korey right back ? We'll be outnumbered in midfield as it is. Play 3 at the back with Joe and Josh wingbacks but Bailey and mags still end up getting exposed when we lose the ball. :(

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

What's the options though? Weaken the midfield by playing korey right back ? We'll be outnumbered in midfield as it is. Play 3 at the back with Joe and Josh wingbacks but Bailey and mags still end up getting exposed when we lose the ball. :(

Stick with what we know best I think is the best option.

JB and whoever plays RM will have a very busy night covering I think. Unless JB plays LB and Patto LM.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

JB and whoever plays RM will have a very busy night covering I think. Unless JB plays LB and Patto LM.

Think I'd prefer Joe and pato on the left. If he did go back 3 that would mean pato and Bobby up top with pack, korey and Walsh in the middle. Can't see him doing that.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Sané is such a good runner off the ball....and so quick.

Then again I feared for Wright in the early exchanges v Martial, but he handled that.  Different proposition is Sané....one of my fave players in the little Prem games I watch these days.

Josh in front of him.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Too often in the past we've concentrated on countering the opposition rather than  playing to our strengths - even last season Lj was guilty of this , chopping and changing formations and selections depending on the opposition.

I would concede that Man City are light years ahead, not just of us but most of the prem as well, but we stuck to our game against the other Manchester team and that worked, so why not do the same tomorrow? 

If we are going to lose, possibly quite heavily, better to do so by being true to ourselves than trying to park a bus and being left with the feeling of what might have been.

A frank debrief last summer proved the bedrock for this season. “We probably did more work, believe it or not, on the culture over the summer than we did on transfers – that’s how important we felt it was,” Johnson says

And that, I think, in a nutshell explains why we've done so well this season. Had the players but now we are reaping the rewards of them all playing to their potential. 

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It may sound materialistic, but this cup run and the exposure it has generated will do wonders for attracting future players.

Exciting times.

I was thinking this.

Zach Clough wouldn't be so rude about us if we made an offer now.

Not that we'd want him, but the principle stands.

Archived