IGNORED

IF we get through to the final.....

QuedgeRed

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Well, we were litterely inches away from achieving it ourselves in 89.

Gosh, how could I forget about that! Spurs needed extra time in 71 as well right?

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

League 2 York beating Manchester Red 4-3 over 2 legs 1995

And that was THE United team. Beckham,  Giggs, Cole. Scholes, Neville, Andy Cole and Cantona all featured over those two legs.

Inspiration gained. See guys, nothing is impossible.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You know @Phileas Fogg I agree with that. Lose 2-1, full Ashton Gate- really agree.

I think what helped us vs Manchester and would help us v this 2nd Manchester- club done excellent here- home fans at both ends.

Obviously the South Stand and S82 the main but l playing towards 1,000 of your own also.

This is as opposed to full away end or defending against it as per 2nd half, cannot underestimate effect of that IMO...Marginal gains and all that.

I think over 1 leg we'd have a slight chance against anyone, especially at home.

I'm very optimistic about City generally but I just cannot see us being able to beat Man City over 2 legs.

Funnily enough had we drawn Chelsea.. or better still Arsenal.. I would have given us a real shot.

Sadly I feel that Man City are looking like one of those teams that come around every 5 years or so.. Bayern a couple of years ago, Barcelona under Guardiola, Arsenal invincibles, Real Madrid with R9, Man Utd turn of the century.. that are truly an awesome side that have no real weakness and are above our capabilities.

I think we'll put up a good fight though.

That said; it's football. We're only a Joe Bryan curler or Aden Flint header away from an upset..

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think over 1 leg we'd have a slight chance against anyone, especially at home.

I'm very optimistic about City generally but I just cannot see us being able to beat Man City over 2 legs.

Funnily enough had we drawn Chelsea.. or better still Arsenal.. I would have given us a real shot.

Sadly I feel that Man City are looking like one of those teams that come around every 5 years or so.. Bayern a couple of years ago, Barcelona under Guardiola, Arsenal invincibles, Real Madrid with R9, Man Utd turn of the century.. that are truly an awesome side that have no real weakness and are above our capabilities.

That said it's football. We're only a Joe Bryan curler or Aden Flint header away from an upset..

Agreed. This Man City are really special tbh. I don't think they're quite there yet but I think they're bang on trajectory to reach Pep's Barcelona levels. That's how highly I rate them tbh.

Agreed, Chelsea and Arsenal- and especially Arsenal at this time- more beatable. Even over 2 legs. One off game?

Yeah I think at home we'd give anyone a game- Marca. I said it around the time, found report that basically intimated that if we keep it fairly tight up there we can make it very uncomfortable at AG for them- high praise from a paper that usually covers highest levels!

This is football- red card, penalty...and as you say Flint or Bryan. One of things go our way and things can change very quickly on the night!

2 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

We have no chance of beating Man City over two games of football.

Not having that.

There is always a chance. In this case tiny, barely there, for sure.

But it is there. That is why we go. That is why we dream. 

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Not having that.

There is always a chance. In this case tiny, barely there, for sure.

But it is there. That is why we go. That is why we dream. 

I had a dream last night that I slept with four supermodels and they enjoyed themselves, sadly I think that's more likely than a city win but Come on you reds.

The chance of winning the lottery is 14 million to 1, I seem to remember reading. 

Still, someone wins it every week. 

Remember, everyone alive now was one the fittest and strongest of millions at their conception. 

Hope keeps us driving on - otherwise we may as well slink back to league 1 where some think we belong. 

Having said that, the league is more important and whilst I always want us to win, I would rather get beaten in this Comp and promoted than win the cup and slide down the league. 

I laugh at zero chance comments - that is actually impossible.

What if Pep puts out a weakened side and we nick a goal?

It is not beyond the realms of possibility with a lot of luck we have a shut out at the Gate.

Have some belief - we have beaten 4 strong Prem teams with a bit of luck, a bit of complacency on their part and one helluva team spirit.

FFS - dare to dream !! Hope the players don’t see this from their own fans !!

We are Rocky whilst they are Apollo Creed in the first film. A down and out fighting a seasoned pro, the seasoned pro always wins. At first. The second fight the little guy wins.

It's not impossible that we will beat them, but as others have said, they have the feel of one of "those" teams. We were expected to be knocked out a few games ago anyway, so as long as we give a good account of ourselves, I for one will be happy.

I honestly think we will surprise them in how good we are, and how we play football. I’m not for one second saying I think we will beat them, but I’m not going to write us off.

Too many people totally writing us off, the big big games bring out the best in our club, they always have. 

I look back at the Forest semi, we gave them the biggest shock of there season, Live4pool 94, gave them 3 chances to beat us, they couldn’t. Chelsea in 1990, we spanked them big time. Everton a couple of times in the FA cup, how we didn’t beat them both times I will never know, Man City a few years ago in the League cup, we could have beaten them.

Go back to the 70’s,winning at Leeds in the FA cup, nearly beating Liverpool in the next round.

The old first division days, we quite often held our own or beat the top teams.

We will rise to the occasion tomorrow.

Fear not everyone, have faith. 

We are a much better club and fan base when we are big underdogs :yes:

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

I've searched around for some inspiration.. A case where a giant killing on this scale has been achieved over two legs... But I really can't find anything. Anybody? 

Championship v Premiership can hardly be called a giant killing. That is when a non-league side or maybe league 2 side beat the Prem boys. Think people are just trying to make excuses now in case we get hammered. Have some bloody faith in your team boys and girls. Dont leave before the party has started. I know 11 players that wont be doing that.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That said; it's football. We're only a Joe Bryan curler or Aden Flint header away from an upset..

Or an Aden Flint rabona, or left footed volley, or right footed volley, or overhead kick...

WE have done this before - almost!! Our greatest win in my opinion was equal to the challenge this tie provides - the finest team ever at the time and seemingly unbeatable - and although not initially a home /away match that is what it became - and over the two we amazingly triumphed. Still best journey home ever!!

Across the board the media gave it huge coverage - including what is now Radio 4. It was great listening.

WE have done this before - almost!! Our greatest win in my opinion was equal to the challenge this tie provides - the finest team ever at the time and seemingly unbeatable - and although not initially a home /away match that is what it became - and over the two we amazingly triumphed. Still best journey home ever!!

Across the board the media gave it huge coverage - including what is now Radio 4. It was great listening.

Of course few will remember it was Leeds!!

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

I had a dream last night that I slept with four supermodels and they enjoyed themselves, sadly I think that's more likely than a city win but Come on you reds.

You can buy anything, if you have enough money!

Even the premier league title, eh Man City..?! 

58 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Championship v Premiership can hardly be called a giant killing. That is when a non-league side or maybe league 2 side beat the Prem boys. Think people are just trying to make excuses now in case we get hammered. Have some bloody faith in your team boys and girls. Dont leave before the party has started. I know 11 players that wont be doing that.

But it’s not just championship vs Premier League it’s championship vs world Elite. They’re the current favourites for the Champions League! 

Just think of it as City vs Barcelona/Real Madrid/Bayern Munich. I think you could call it a giant killing if we beat them.

Archived