IGNORED

The official Manchester City FC v Bristol City FC in the Carabao Cup Match Day Thread

Septic Peg

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps I am nitpicking a bit or being a bit greedy.

But- and I know the rules have changed possibly- but could Stones have got a red for the pen?

I just had a look at the Laws Of The Game on the FIFA website, and this seems to be the relevant section:

Sending-off offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:
• serious foul play
• violent conduct
• spitting at an opponent or any other person
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
• using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
• receiving a second caution in the same match

Clearly the offence was punishable by a penalty kick, so that element is a given, so presumably a judgement that this did not deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity is the reason for no red. That said, I don't recall any other defender tracking back between Stones and the goal-line, and Bobby seemed to be bearing down on goal. 

Whether these have been revised, or there are other guidance/interpretation notes for refs, I don't know.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I just had a look at the Laws Of The Game on the FIFA website, and this seems to be the relevant section:

Sending-off offences
A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:
• serious foul play
• violent conduct
• denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
• denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

Clearly the offence was punishable by a penalty kick, so that element is a given, so presumably a judgement that this did not deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity is the reason for no red. That said, I don't recall any other defender tracking back between Stones and the goal-line, and Bobby seemed to be bearing down on goal. 

Whether these have been revised, or there are other guidance/interpretation notes for refs, I don't know.

These have been revised. Double jeopady

I had a poorly timed business trip so I ended up having to watch on hotel wifi which was frustrating.

It was a great performance, and we got the most important result which was that the second leg is not a dead rubber.

The reaction in the press has been very enjoyable and LJ, the players and the rest of the team deserve massive congratulations for how well they've put our club across.

Looking forward to the 23rd.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Sending-off offences
• serious foul play
• violent conduct

I think it's only a red if there's no attempt to get the ball. Stones didn't mean to hack down Bobby and give away a pen, so that's why it isn't a red.

This rule is much better, the punishment was way too harsh when a red card was given as well.

Fielding v Wolves was different because it was a free-kick and not a penalty.

37 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Highlight of the day yesterday was pulling up to Keele services and a van in front opening his rear doors and what must’ve been 10 City fans piling out.

There train from Taunton was delayed so they piled into there mates van. Incredible effort 

:clapping:

That used to be the usual for our lot.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps I am nitpicking a bit or being a bit greedy.

But- and I know the rules have changed possibly- but could Stones have got a red for the pen?

Didn't even get a yellow did he?

Hats off to the squad, the management team and the 8k travelling fans. What a brilliant all round effort. Very rarely do I get excited and passionate as an armchair supporter due to the saturation of televised football, however Bristol City Football Club had me hooked from the 1st minute last night.

Archived