IGNORED

H&M

Super

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I actually am rather conflicted by this. All things being innocent then really there should be nothing wrong with this. Many people will often describe children as 'little monkeys' or 'cheeky monkey'

Totally agree, in fact I’ll go as far as saying the ones labelling H&M for being racist are the ones making the whole thing racist. 

As you said it’s a term used by parents all the time. I have black friends who call their kid a cheeky monkey and I’m pretty sure they aren’t hurling racial abuse at their offspring...

Its what’s wrong with the world at the moment. People getting offended over something that doesn’t involve them. If the kid and the parents were happy with it just get on with it.

36 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Totally agree, in fact I’ll go as far as saying the ones labelling H&M for being racist are the ones making the whole thing racist. 

As you said it’s a term used by parents all the time. I have black friends who call their kid a cheeky monkey and I’m pretty sure they aren’t hurling racial abuse at their offspring...

Its what’s wrong with the world at the moment. People getting offended over something that doesn’t involve them. If the kid and the parents were happy with it just get on with it.

Apparently, the boy's mother sees nothing wrong with it - the boy is a child model and it would seem this is one of numerous similar shots.

I'd suggest it was polar opposite from racism. If no one even thought putting a black kid  in this top was wrong, would suggest the thought that it was remotely racist was the last thing on H&M's minds.

They were clearly not seeing colour.

So those screaming racism were the ones seeing and responding to the wording and labelling the black kid with the monkey wording.. 

So who are really being racist here with the thoughts in their heads!

1 minute ago, Super said:

Seem to have already lost quite a few famous people.

I work in sales and marketing and this sort of advert would have to go through quite a few people. I cannot believe they didnt know what they are doing. Risque marketing is getting more and more common as companies believe any publicity is good publicity, within reason of course.  Seemingly this was a risk worth taking in their eyes

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

I work in sales and marketing and this sort of advert would have to go through quite a few people. I cannot believe they didnt know what they are doing. Risque marketing is getting more and more common as companies believe any publicity is good publicity, within reason of course.  Seemingly this was a risk worth taking in their eyes

Yep that's the thing that puzzled me. I'd estimate at least 10 different people at the minimum would've seen this ad whilst it was in an approval stage. I find it impossible to believe not one person flagged this. Interesting if what you're saying was true of this.

I honestly think it's forced outrage. The kids mother was perfectly fine with it all as she rightly doesn't equate black people with monkeys and therefore didn't see a connection. The people who presume the monkey hoodie was deliberately modelled on a black toddler because of his skin colour need to give their heads a wobble.

How is this racist its stupid?

Its a young kid wearing a cheeky monkey t shirt. How many of you have called sons/nephews etc cheeky monkeys.

Noone was saying he is monkey as he is black, and should be sent to africa and HandM are run by the BNP. All this is absolutely stupid, its a young lad, who is wearing a t shirt.

This country is starting to go absolutely mental about offending people, i fail to see how that is at all racist. If anything, this plays into racists hands with normal people starting to go "this is crazy, where does it actually stop, maybe the EDL/BNP/NF are right"

11 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

How is this racist its stupid?

Its a young kid wearing a cheeky monkey t shirt. How many of you have called sons/nephews etc cheeky monkeys.

Noone was saying he is monkey as he is black, and should be sent to africa and HandM are run by the BNP. All this is absolutely stupid, its a young lad, who is wearing a t shirt.

This country is starting to go absolutely mental about offending people, i fail to see how that is at all racist. If anything, this plays into racists hands with normal people starting to go "this is crazy, where does it actually stop, maybe the EDL/BNP/NF are right"

Well said AshtonPark. Cheeky Monkey is a term of endearment used by all parents of all nationalities. The people who see this for more than it is are the ones who are racist, always thinking about this stuff non-stop.

The kids Mum, who is also black, has stated in the Daily Mail today that the whole thing is non-sense and overblown and that she sees nothing wrong in her son wearing the top. Good on her.

Bit like the M&S Paddington advert :- "Thank you little bear" - the advert has done it's job, people are talking about it.

There's absolutely no way that this went past the suits/regulators etc without them picking up on the fact that the jumper says this. Someone somewhere along the line will have noticed that. 

I must admit that I saw the picture of the two kids side by side on the news, and for a good few minutes I was trying to work out what the fuss was about as it was already half way through the story when I turned the TV on. I didn't even pick up on it. Maybe I was still half asleep - who knows.

Whichever way you look at it, its clever marketing. The parent doesn't have an issue with it. Society nowadays is very good at being offended on behalf of other people. It's pathetic sometimes.

Someone at H&M is either very brave for doing this, or extremely stupid.

8 hours ago, Rob k said:

It’s not racist but they knew what they were doing without a doubt which is nearly as bad. 

So now you can’t do something that isn’t offensive because people who have nothing better to do than be offended about something will think it’s offensive? 

Isn't that just going to ultimately completely dumb down society until no one can do anything without fear of offending morons?

It’s a child modelling a child’s tee shirt. Why shouldn’t it be a black child just because a bunch of idiots will scream ‘racism’ purely because it’s a black child?

44 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So now you can’t do something that isn’t offensive because people who have nothing better to do than be offended about something will think it’s offensive? 

Isn't that just going to ultimately completely dumb down society until no one can do anything without fear of offending morons?

It’s a child modelling a child’s tee shirt. Why shouldn’t it be a black child just because a bunch of idiots will scream ‘racism’ purely because it’s a black child?

My point is I think H&M knew exactly what they were doing with this and the reaction it would cause from a marketing perspective. 

Do I find it offensive, absolutely not, but I’m not naive enough to understand that some would have,  especially in this country where you can’t say a thing without offending someone. 

My wife worked in a children’s centre in Bristol where the term ‘cheeky monkey’ was banned. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

My point is I think H&M knew exactly what they were doing with this and the reaction it would cause from a marketing perspective. 

Do I find it offensive, absolutely not, but I’m not naive enough to understand that some would have,  especially in this country where you can’t say a thing without offending someone. 

My wife worked in a children’s centre in Bristol where the term ‘cheeky monkey’ was banned. 

Yeah I’m sure they did know that they’d have a backlash from idiots to be fair and I guess it certainly got people talking about H&M.

You can only hope that it actually makes people actually engage their brains before they shout ‘racist’ and cry outrage at anything and everything, but I won’t hold my breath!

Your final paragraph makes me sad. 

Archived