IGNORED

Paterson

Simon79

Although everyone of the lads were unbelievable tonight in their commitment & desire. I just wanted to start a topic on Paterson, I thought he was simply brilliant tonight. He is IMO becoming a linchpin of how we play. Not only his work rate for a forward thinking player impressed me, but his bravery on the ball is simply brilliant at times. His belief in his own ability is brilliant to see. Even in that company tonight, he still does his stuff. & wouldn’t look out of place in the top tier. Like quite a few of our team at the minute, we will do well to hold onto him imo. COYR 

Just now, Gazred said:

Didn't he nutmeg Sane at one point?

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Didn't he nutmeg Sane at one point?

Believe so. That’s what I’m talking about, having the belief & arrogance in someways to do it. Really think he is turning into some player. COYR 

14 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Although everyone of the lads were unbelievable tonight in their commitment & desire. I just wanted to start a topic on Paterson, I thought he was simply brilliant tonight. He is IMO becoming a linchpin of how we play. Not only his work rate for a forward thinking player impressed me, but his bravery on the ball is simply brilliant at times. His belief in his own ability is brilliant to see. Even in that company tonight, he still does his stuff. & wouldn’t look out of place in the top tier. Like quite a few of our team at the minute, we will do well to hold onto him imo. COYR 

Damn, I'm out of likes - have to do it the old fashioned way - :yes:

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

How good was he at Forest?  Did he always have this quality, or is it the coaching / training methods at City helping his talents on the pitch?

Inconsistent was the word used by someone I know, even within the same game.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

How good was he at Forest?  Did he always have this quality, or is it the coaching / training methods at City helping his talents on the pitch?

He's always had talent, but he's only just turned 26. Often midfield player have their best years from that sort of age until their early 30s so we're lucky enough to be the club to consistently get it out of him.

Midfield players of his age and ability fetch a premium so either we'll benefit directly from his performances or make an enormous profit if we sell him.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I get the impression that he always had the talent, but it was his inconsistency that was the problem. So yes, I believe the coaching etc has had a major influence on him.  His work rate has increased massively I would say also. COYR 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's always had talent, but he's only just turned 26. Often midfield player have their best years from that sort of age until their early 30s so we're lucky enough to be the club to consistently get it out of him.

Midfield players of his age and ability fetch a premium so either we'll benefit directly from his performances or make an enormous profit if we sell him.

I think we're certainly starting to see the benefits of the "project". Take a player with the right *ahem* DNA, improve them, benefit from that improvement and then sell for a large profit.

The overall squad value must be up a fair percent this season.

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I get the impression that he always had the talent, but it was his inconsistency that was the problem. So yes, I believe the coaching etc has had a major influence on him.  His work rate has increased massively I would say also. COYR 

Then massive credit to the man and the club.  There must be a whole host of similar Championship players that could now come to City and reasonably expect to raise their game to the next level.

With the way we developed Tammy's game last season, and now helping the likes of Jamie kick on massively, it's all the more reason to be positive for the future.

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I think we're certainly starting to see the benefits of the "project". Take a player with the right *ahem* DNA, improve them, benefit from that improvement and then sell for a large profit.

The overall squad value must be up a fair percent this season.

That's right. This season alone basically the whole first team have grown in value.

Partly the benefit of having a squad almost all in the 20s with sell on value but also credit to the coaching.

It's great to see fans being more patient now with the likes of Eliasson after seeing the second year versions of O'Dowda and Brownhill.

We are no longer Bristol City who signs Damion Stewarts and Neil Kilkennys for quick fixes. We sign players to invest in and improve.

Exciting times and 100% the right strategy for recruitment.

19 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Best player for me on the night in an attacking sense. He's so inventive. He used little feints, shimmys and subtle touches to create room and angles all evening. The style of which is strikingly similar to a Man City type player, which is just so, so impressive.

He wouldn’t look out of place in the Man C team. We have a number of good players at the moment but I think he is our best footballer. Was excellent tonight.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We are no longer Bristol City who signs Damion Stewarts and Neil Kilkennys for quick fixes. We sign players to invest in and improve.

Christ, don't those names make you shudder.  Why did we ever think buying players like that was good business?

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Christ, don't those names make you shudder.  Why did we ever think buying players like that was good business?

Oh come on, no-one points better than Neil Kilkenny. And if you can't see that, I know a certain someone who can point it out to you.

8 hours ago, underhanded said:

Best player for me on the night in an attacking sense. He's so inventive. He used little feints, shimmys and subtle touches to create room and angles all evening. The style of which is strikingly similar to a Man City type player, which is just so, so impressive.

One of the few players I have seen who can take on a man without actually touching the ball!

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I think the role he plays in our team is completely different to what he played at Forest.

Can remember an interview where he said he used to have to stay out wide and not come inside at all. Here, even when he plays wide he tucks in a lot to influence the game and I think the coaching team deserve a lot of credit for allowing players to do that without impacting defensive shape too. 

Whatever way you look at it though an absolute bargain and in my opinion our most important player when we are going forward! 

8 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Looked shattered at around 70 mins though. Though he could have brought on eliasson to freshen it up but we may have lost some defensive focus if that happened.

I actually thought the time for subbing him was when the 3 minute board went up, but with Kelly to break up the game & support Bryan with Walker.

However I thought we should have got rid of LJ last season, so what do I know?

Back to Pato, he is Tomlin plus work rate & team ethics, sublime footballer.

11 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

I thought he was brilliant, however there were a couple of occasions where he put the team in trouble trying to do Cruyff turns in our own third instead of playing the ball back to the keeper. Like I said it was only a couple of occasions and other than that he was great. 

That’s a fair comment. I noticed the same thing last night and also in other games. He can sometimes lose possession in dangerous areas.

I think to some extent you have to accept that’s what you get with so-called “flair players “ like him and indeed Tomlin. They are encouraged to try stuff that other players can’t do because when it comes off it can change games. You can try to coach them to make good decisions about when to do this and when not to, but if you constrain them too much you can just end up negating the very qualities you signed them for in the first place.

It’s a balancing act. You’d have to say that LJ has for the most part got it about right with Pato, but I think we have to be prepared to accept that creative players have off days when it’s not working. That’s when it’s time to get your substitutions right. Maybe he should have come off in the last few minutes when it was backs to the wall. Easy with hindsight, isn’t it?

5 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Jamie Paterson’s our best footballer. Superb. :clapping:

Agreed, he's got the touch and skill of a premier league player for sure. He made some of the man city players look a bit silly at times!

And he's still a young 'un so plenty more in the tank I reckon. 

Archived