IGNORED

1-0 away from a cup final...

RightUpInCider

6 minutes ago, atyeoboy17 said:

Away goals don’t count double

I thought they did after extra time?

I accept that I'm cidered up beyond redemption so I could've got that wrong.

(Jeebus that's taken me bloody minutes to type whilst squinting at the screen in concentration mode).

Ahh, **** it I've been ninja'd.

5 hours ago, Malbec said:

I thought they did after extra time?

I accept that I'm cidered up beyond redemption so I could've got that wrong.

(Jeebus that's taken me bloody minutes to type whilst squinting at the screen in concentration mode).

Ahh, **** it I've been ninja'd.

Yes away goals do count AET, so 1-0 after 120 mins would see us through. 

4 minutes ago, BCFChris said:

I take it that if we were 1-0 up after normal time and then drew 1-1 during extra time, Man Blue's goal in extra time would not count towards the away goals and we would go through?

Would go to penalties being 3-3 and an away goal each. 

• Admin

I would never wish serious injury on any player but if Aguero was to pick up a little strain at the weekend that kept him out for a fortnight that would be very handy :yes:

I also noted that for 80 mins last night Sterling, Zinchencko and Sané would driving all crosses low across the near post and we were dealing with them well (instruction from Pep given our tall CBs?) It wasn't until Kyle Walker came on that they started floating some crosses in that would eventually see Aguero score from a Silva cross. 

8 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

They do once you get to extra time.

Now I think about it, that's utterly backwards isn't it? It's unfair on the side playing away first. So, basically, away goals only count during the extra period of time that the side playing away 2nd has to score. It's bizarre. It would make more sense to be the other way round surely, they count for the 90 mins but not after.

I mean, if it becomes an issue then we've performed absolute wonders but still, it's a bit odd

10 minutes ago, bcfctim said:

Now I think about it, that's utterly backwards isn't it? It's unfair on the side playing away first. So, basically, away goals only count during the extra period of time that the side playing away 2nd has to score. It's bizarre. It would make more sense to be the other way round surely, they count for the 90 mins but not after.

I mean, if it becomes an issue then we've performed absolute wonders but still, it's a bit odd

I think you’ve misunderstood. Away goals are only considered as a means of deciding the tie AET. 

Should we win 1-0 after 90 mins, extra time would be played. If it finishes 1-0, we win. Equally, if we won 4-3 after 90 mins, extra time would be played. Their three away goals would only count after extra time.

Where the unfairness may come is if it finishes 2-1 after 90 mins, then both teams score in extra time, giving a 4-4 aggregate score. Man C would go through for scoring 2 away goals, even though one of them came in an additional 30 mins of opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

IWhere the unfairness may come is if it finishes 2-1 after 90 mins, then both teams score in extra time, giving a 4-4 aggregate score. Man C would go through for scoring 2 away goals, even though one of them came in an additional 30 mins of opportunity.

Thats what I mean. Why after the 90 minutes should the away side in the 2nd leg have the advantage that if they score it would count as double. I know that side would be away from home but still!

The last time we were in the semis we drew 1-1 away to Forest and then drew 0-0 at home after 90 mins. Really, it should be that away goals come into play at that point as they do in all other two legged ties around the globe. City would then have made the final.

As it transpired Forest got a winner in extra time. However, had City equalised and then scored another only for Forest to equalise, making it 2-2 after extra-time, Forest would've gone through on away goals. But surely that is an anomaly as they had 33% more time playing away from home than City would've had. They made a big issue of VAR having to be used at both legs of our tie with Man C, but then allow one side (the away side in the 2nd leg) the potential to have an extra 30 minutes, that the home side were not given when they were away, to score extra weighted away goals!

Imagine how poor old Inter felt a few years back. Two legged Champions League semi final against their Milan rivals.. Both games played at the same stadium, one game finished 0-0 and the other 1-1.. Because Milan scored in the game designated as their "away" leg, they went through on the away goals rule. Absolute shocker.

43 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I think you’ve misunderstood. Away goals are only considered as a means of deciding the tie AET. 

Should we win 1-0 after 90 mins, extra time would be played. If it finishes 1-0, we win. Equally, if we won 4-3 after 90 mins, extra time would be played. Their three away goals would only count after extra time.

Where the unfairness may come is if it finishes 2-1 after 90 mins, then both teams score in extra time, giving a 4-4 aggregate score. Man C would go through for scoring 2 away goals, even though one of them came in an additional 30 mins of opportunity.

No, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you're going to use away goals it should be over the same period of time for both teams. So if it finished 3-2 at FT they'd go through, but if it finished 2-1 and then 3-2 AET it would just go straight to penalties, because we've scored the same amount over 90 mins, and we shouldn't be penalised for having to play longer at home. 

4 hours ago, BCFChris said:

I take it that if we were 1-0 up after normal time and then drew 1-1 during extra time, Man Blue's goal in extra time would not count towards the away goals and we would go through?

No they would go through 3-2. If Man City score we need to score 2. Otherwise we need to keep them out for 120 minutes. Us winning 2-1 AET is the only way it goes to penalties. If we were to win 3-2(4-4 agg) then Man City go through AET. 

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

No they would go through 3-2. If Man City score we need to score 2. Otherwise we need to keep them out for 120 minutes. Us winning 2-1 AET is the only way it goes to penalties. If we were to win 3-2(4-4 agg) then Man City go through AET. 

All those permutations seem to favour Manchester City.  I hate being pessimistic but I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet and I can't see us scoring 3 whilst limiting them to 1.  Which all points to either nobly bowing out or to a 2-1 victory and an agonising penalty shootout.

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

All those permutations seem to favour Manchester City.  I hate being pessimistic but I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet and I can't see us scoring 3 whilst limiting them to 1.  Which all points to either nobly bowing out or to a 2-1 victory and an agonising penalty shootout.

Agree that 2-1 and penalties is best we can hope for but that is why the games are played. Enjoyable run no matter what happens though!

5 hours ago, BCFChris said:

Thats what I mean. Why after the 90 minutes should the away side in the 2nd leg have the advantage that if they score it would count as double. I know that side would be away from home but still!

But the side at home second (us) will have had an extra 30 minutes of home advantage to score a winner, so I guess it evens out. 

Archived