IGNORED

Substitutions?

Portland Bill

What a night that was, very proud of our club, the players and us fans were fantastic.

The one thing I found really surprising though was why did we only make one substitution?.

Man City were incessant in the last 5-10 minutes and we were pinned in, and when three minutes of injury time was announced it seemed the perfect time to totally to break the game up by making the last two substitutions and frustrate Man City by doing them as slow as possible. Do one, wait till the ball goes out again and do the last one.

Im not having a moan,, I’m thrilled with everything about the game, just surprised we just used the one sub.

Did think this myself. The board goes up for three minutes of injury time, we're 1-1 at the Etihad, under the cosh... surprised LJ didn't bring on Taylor and another to a) waste time and b) run around like a headless chickens/get in their faces.

However, no gripes whatsoever! Unbelievable every single one of them.

Yeah, I think LJ makes two subs to break up the momentum and we draw that game. Still about learning though, he's growing as a manager in the same way were growing as a club. He'll learn from this as will each of the players.

Hahahahahahaha I'm so happy though and I've just travelled about 400 miles to see us get beaten!!!!!!

3 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Yeah, I think LJ makes two subs to break up the momentum and we draw that game. Still about learning though, he's growing as a manager in the same way were growing as a club. He'll learn from this as will each of the players.

Hahahahahahaha I'm so happy though and I've just travelled about 400 miles to see us get beaten!!!!!!

Although this will be rubbished by some who can't accept any criticism of LJ (and lets face it he has done brilliantly overall this season), I agree with you. Two individual subs in the last few minutes would have eaten some time and provided some fresh legs - arguably the root cause of the winner was the crosser having too much time & space to pick out his pass as many of our players were understandably on their last legs. This is not to take anything away from a brilliant performance and LJ otherwise getting the tactics spot on.

They looked visibly shattered, mentally as well as physically but not sure how much Johnson trusted that bench (particularly damning for Taylor?).

Or perhaps in a positive spin it was a mark of how much he trusts those on the pitch?

Any ends up it is a wonderfully, bonkers time to be a City fan and have semi final substitutions to discuss!

It's one of those no win situations, and it is only with hindsight that it becomes easy to say what he should have done.

Had LJ made a couple of substitutions to run down the clock at the death and then one of the subs made a mistake , costing a goal, then he would have been criticised for making a change when keeping things as they were would have secured a draw..

In a sense the only surprise was that Man City didn't get the second goal sooner, as they put us under immense pressure. We were magnificent in keeping them out and because of that the timing of Aguero's goal seems more galling buy I don't think LJ can be blamed for substitutions , or lack of, as in ever other respect his tactics were spot on.

I think on current form bringing Taylor on would have been insane.

His tendency to consistently lose possession would have been no use at all.

I'd have brought Kelly on for Pato on 90 minutes to help Bryan, especially as Pato had run a marathon by then.

I understand why he didn't at the time though as it may have disrupted concentration levels.

Archived