IGNORED

Johnson Vs Stam

PistolPeteRFC

Something definitely changed/clicked over last summer. In the pre-season friendlies you could see something had changed in our style of play. We properly implemented our high press and quick passing style which is now our trademark.

LJ had been talking about this ever since he got here but it only started to appear after the summer break. I'm not sure why that was. Change of coaching staff (Jamie Mc replacing Pembo), putting a mobile front man who can pass up front? Maybe it was just having time with the squad to get the message across and work on it in training. Making a big change in style like this mid-season must be hard.

Whatever the reason, I just felt from the pre-season we looked a totally different proposition. I guess it depends on whether Reading are playing in a style Stam wants or if he is still trying to get his message across to the players. I like Stam and would imagine players would respect him, which is half the battle. Would be giving him more time myself.

7 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I will make one more point. The UEFA coaching course that LJ went on the with the wolves manger, must have had a good teacher.  I like the way both managers try to play the game.  They are very much cut from the same cloth and a blue print for young managers going forward.  Believing in your philosophy and recruiting, intelligent disciplined to play within it.

Stevo

I agree 100%. But with our newly acquired media profile and the performances from the players, it won’t be long before the top end of the Premiership and even some continental clubs are looking at the culture and management of BCFC.

No-one can deny that there’s been a sea change in the attitude and application of ALL the players and staff, and it won’t be long before others are copying it. 

People are getting fed up with the choreographed goal celebrations, the £89,000,000 show-ponies, the semi-literate  England internationals, the £300,000 a week wages. Would it be crass to suggest that a new formula has been found? It wouldn’t surprise me if we started to see this approach copied by numerous other clubs.

Guys, great read. Thank you.

The points about your club and ours could be (unfairly) summarised respectively as Tomlin and Danny Williams out.

Tomlin undermined the message your manager was trying to put across and Williams gave us drive and unpredictability in a team that’s otherwise pedestrian. 

Clearly there’s more to it than that, but both could be tipping points for sure. 

Thanks again :)

Archived