IGNORED

Transformation of our club

Dastardly and Muttley

Was talking to a friend yesterday, who’s a Liverpool fan. As I live in Maidenhead, I persuaded him to come to the Wycombe v City JPT in October 2013. It was peak O’Driscoll and we were poor, losing 2-1. He still classes it as the funniest game he’s been to, because of the Bristolian chants of “we want our petrol back” when we went 2-0 down.

Anyway, he messaged me several times last night, calling our display “bloody epic” and being gutted when Citeh scored.

It made me do some research and, incredibly, 5 of our starting lineup last night featured on that dismal Tuesday night in Wycombe.

Fielding, Flint, Reid, Bryan and Pack all played some part.

Huge credit to the club for getting such transformational improvement whilst keeping a core of players that must have developed a real sense of what it means to be Bristol City.

Proud times to be a City fan.

I have a feeling people won't like this, but Sean O'Driscoll was nowhere near as bad a manager for us as some make out. We always had decent performances, even when we were losing, which is not too dissimilar to LJ's bad run last season. It was his dourness and poor relationship with fans/media that caused the hate. He bought into the very project which is currently bearing fruit, and imo, the way we had to go about it, things were always going to get worse before they got better.

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I have a feeling people won't like this, but Sean O'Driscoll was nowhere near as bad a manager for us as some make out. We always had decent performances, even when we were losing, which is not too dissimilar to LJ's bad run last season. It was his dourness and poor relationship with fans/media that caused the hate. He bought into the very project which is currently bearing fruit, and imo, the way we had to go about it, things were always going to get worse before they got better.

Totally agree. I liked SOD and was gutted it didn’t work out. He had a clear philosophy that on another day may have worked here. However, his personality didn’t fit what was going on at the time and it just didn’t work. When he was appointed, I could easily have predicted him being here for a long time and having success.

I was at that Wycombe game and also our following game at Crewe, 11 days later. I said on another thread recently that those two back to back losses were two of the three worst / most depressing I’ve ever seen as a City fan. Crewe in particular was almost unspeakably bad!

Can’t believe those games were over four years ago. The time has absolutely flown by since. 

Also I’m afraid I can’t agree that ‘we always had decent performances’ when O’Driscoll was manager. The two games mentioned here were just dreadful.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It was him who got us our Cat 2 Academy status...plus other parts of our 'infrastructure' started, that we are benefitting from now.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

It was him who got us our Cat 2 Academy status...plus other parts of our 'infrastructure' started, that we are benefitting from now.

perhaps its a long term project we all want immediate  results just asking how long did it take alan dicks to get us to the top division ( i know i'm showing my age)

SOD, to some extent set the ball rolling....even if we had ended up in Div2.

Fielding, Flint, Pack....did he give Reid his first chance (or was that McInnes).

It was dour football, it was dour media stuff, but he started to put the build blocks in place.

Cotts fast-tracked us to the Championship - in many people’s eyes, he was also fast-tracking us straight back down!

We are on the up....

14 minutes ago, Ayteomike2 said:

perhaps its a long term project we all want immediate  results just asking how long did it take alan dicks to get us to the top division ( i know i'm showing my age)

What many of our fans don't realise or understand is that for many years we were run very unprofessionally.

Scouting, Academy, coaching, all parts of the 'infrastructure' and club staff...we were miles behind a lot of other professional clubs.

We survived short term on money alone. There was no long term plan. We reacted rather than planned.

We've done fantastically well to fast track that infrastructure as quickly as we have done.

We are still playing catch up though.

I spoke about this last night with some fellow fans....you have to take the chance of promotion whenever the opportunity rises it's head.

But if I could choose to go up this season next season...it would be next, as imo, we are still playing catch up and learning along the way with our new philosophy and way of running the club.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

But if I could choose to go up this season next season...it would be next, as imo, we are still playing catch up and learning along the way with our new philosophy and way of running the club.

Wouldn't surprise me if Reading fans were saying similar last season - maybe Sheff Wed too - but look where they are now.

This is a very difficult division to compete in and we have to really go for it while the chance is there this season. 

32 minutes ago, spudski said:

What many of our fans don't realise or understand is that for many years we were run very unprofessionally.

Scouting, Academy, coaching, all parts of the 'infrastructure' and club staff...we were miles behind a lot of other professional clubs.

We survived short term on money alone. There was no long term plan. We reacted rather than planned.

We've done fantastically well to fast track that infrastructure as quickly as we have done.

I spoke about this last night with some fellow fans....you have to take the chance of promotion whenever the opportunity rises it's head.

we haven't paid out the money that wovles have spent but did those 2 players that scored against us last night  cost more than our entire team 

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know what you're saying about the club being not ready but the problem is if we don't go up this year then we will almost certainly lose a couple of key players and may not get close again for a while. Like you say, you just have to take the chance when it comes around.

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Totally agree. I liked SOD and was gutted it didn’t work out. He had a clear philosophy that on another day may have worked here. However, his personality didn’t fit what was going on at the time and it just didn’t work. When he was appointed, I could easily have predicted him being here for a long time and having success.

I have always hoped we’d stick with a manager long enough to give him a chance to build a side. O’Driscoll had a good track record and I for one welcomed him as a thoughtful coach who had the potential to put down roots and get some momentum going.

He may well have done that in time. Unfortunately his personality was not conducive to sympathy and patience! I’ve never known anyone who damaged his own chances so comprehensively just being being a moody git who had no media savvy.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

SOD, to some extent set the ball rolling....even if we had ended up in Div2.

Fielding, Flint, Pack....did he give Reid his first chance (or was that McInnes).

It was dour football, it was dour media stuff, but he started to put the build blocks in place.

Cotts fast-tracked us to the Championship - in many people’s eyes, he was also fast-tracking us straight back down!

We are on the up....

Millen gave Bobby his debut against Hull, last game of the season in 2011. Came on towards the end... a certain Lee Johnson was also on the bench

5 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Was talking to a friend yesterday, who’s a Liverpool fan. As I live in Maidenhead, I persuaded him to come to the Wycombe v City JPT in October 2013. It was peak O’Driscoll and we were poor, losing 2-1. He still classes it as the funniest game he’s been to, because of the Bristolian chants of “we want our petrol back” when we went 2-0 down.

Anyway, he messaged me several times last night, calling our display “bloody epic” and being gutted when Citeh scored.

It made me do some research and, incredibly, 5 of our starting lineup last night featured on that dismal Tuesday night in Wycombe.

Fielding, Flint, Reid, Bryan and Pack all played some part.

Huge credit to the club for getting such transformational improvement whilst keeping a core of players that must have developed a real sense of what it means to be Bristol City.

Proud times to be a City fan.

I just want to know how you convinced a Liverpool fan to go to a JPT game at Wycombe.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I just want to know how you convinced a Liverpool fan to go to a JPT game at Wycombe.

Haha! He’s from around Wycombe now and fancied a night watching some real football.

Was also getting texts from him the night we beat the red Manchester. He was in a bar in the North West surrounded by Mancs and was loving it.

4 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Absolutely spot on. Have said it before, he started a lot of what we see today. Was it him that use to talk about performance before result? Knowing that long term wise, the performance would bring results. Noticed Louis Carey saying the same thing last night. I’ve also heard a lot of Prem managers saying the same thing recently. Good manager/coach, just not so good for sound bites! COYR 

5 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I had a lot of time for mcinnes. I always thought we should have given more time to him.

My problem last year wasn't specific to Lee Johnson, just the previous 15 years under Lansdown had finally worn me a little thin.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Absolutely spot on. Have said it before, he started a lot of what we see today. Was it him that use to talk about performance before result? Knowing that long term wise, the performance would bring results. Noticed Louis Carey saying the same thing last night. I’ve also heard a lot of Prem managers saying the same thing recently. Good manager/coach, just not so good for sound bites! COYR 

Great manager to read an interview of....dreadful one to listen to though. I found his philosophy extremely interesting and Lee employs much of it now, but conveys things so much better and has his own methods as well to add to it. Lee has mentioned about making the right decision at the right time being one of the most important things to do and skills to possess, which sounds obvious, but is something we've lacked. Lee has coached that into then quite a lot, but is a mindset I first heard from SOD.

3 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

I think the Ashton Vale project put us 5 years behind.

It was definitely a huge distraction.

I will admit that I quite liked McInnes (remember how he helped out the lads caught in Birmingham) but by the time he came in the club was already in a mess. But as he has proved back at Aberdeen he can manage - well at least at in Scotland!

SO'D had an eye for a player no doubt (Fielding, Flint, Pack, JET) and he wanted the players to be able to think for themselves on the pitch. The problem was that with exception of JET, who just did what he fancied when he fancied I don't think the others knew what they were supposed to be doing most of the time. But SO'D definitely bought into the 5 pillars philosophy of putting the club on a sound footing. That all went a bit quiet when Cotts came in & was successful, but LJ was brought in to take the project forward again.

The biggest difference now is that the players clearly know the basis of what they are supposed to do, and can then go on from there. Plus although this might sound more than a bit pejorative towards most footballers, we also now seem to have a relatively bright bunch, which may also be part of the plan to allow them to think for themselves as well.

On 10/01/2018 at 16:34, no_merde said:

It’s amazing what happens when somebody is supported and encouraged to take a long term view, rather than the shortermism that dominates much of modern life

In fairness we had every right to call for LJ to go last season. He spent decent money and it was dire for the most part. Nobody will forget that toxic environment v Fulham at home. 

However it appears Tomlin and dare I say Tammy were the ones holding us back. LJ has really proved a lot of us wrong so far, me included. So I salute him. 

15 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

It was definitely a huge distraction.

I will admit that I quite liked McInnes (remember how he helped out the lads caught in Birmingham) but by the time he came in the club was already in a mess. But as he has proved back at Aberdeen he can manage - well at least at in Scotland!

SO'D had an eye for a player no doubt (Fielding, Flint, Pack, JET) and he wanted the players to be able to think for themselves on the pitch. The problem was that with exception of JET, who just did what he fancied when he fancied I don't think the others knew what they were supposed to be doing most of the time. But SO'D definitely bought into the 5 pillars philosophy of putting the club on a sound footing. That all went a bit quiet when Cotts came in & was successful, but LJ was brought in to take the project forward again.

The biggest difference now is that the players clearly know the basis of what they are supposed to do, and can then go on from there. Plus although this might sound more than a bit pejorative towards most footballers, we also now seem to have a relatively bright bunch, which may also be part of the plan to allow them to think for themselves as well.

Yes, I think it’s worth repeating that under LJ, the much mocked five pillars have probably made a quiet comeback.

8 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

In fairness we had every right to call for LJ to go last season. He spent decent money and it was dire for the most part. Nobody will forget that toxic environment v Fulham at home. 

However it appears Tomlin and dare I say Tammy were the ones holding us back. LJ has really proved a lot of us wrong so far, me included. So I salute him. 

You certainly had the right. It’s just that you weren’t right!

20 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I would still be interested to see where we would be if Warnock had been appointed. But despite not being an LJ fan he has certainly surprised me. 

I think Warnock is like fast food. A quick fix but not a good long term diet.

Archived