IGNORED

Considered thoughts 24 hours later

22A

OK, rather than rush to the PC last night, my considered thoughts on last night.

For most of the game, you could only hear our fans singing and urging the team on. Thanks you everyone for that support. Even mentioned twice by the TV commentators.

Not one shirker in a City shirt. If we go up though, that's the commitment & work rate required every game.

That performance will have put our Manager and players in the shop window. Their value has increased, but many clubs may now decide to offer us silly money to prise them away.

That goal at the end was a real sickener and to me at least,  visibly hit the players & fans. The first goal in the second leg is now imperative. However if City had been 2-0 down and got one back right at the end, we'd think "We can do this" and really be up for the return leg.

Finally, if Man C is the best the Prem has to offer, I'd fancy our chances at staying up if we are promoted this season.

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, rather than rush to the PC last night, my considered thoughts on last night.

For most of the game, you could only hear our fans singing and urging the team on. Thanks you everyone for that support. Even mentioned twice by the TV commentators.

Not one shirker in a City shirt. If we go up though, that's the commitment & work rate required every game.

That performance will have put our Manager and players in the shop window. Their value has increased, but many clubs may now decide to offer us silly money to prise them away.

That goal at the end was a real sickener and to me at least,  visibly hit the players & fans. The first goal in the second leg is now imperative. However if City had been 2-0 down and got one back right at the end, we'd think "We can do this" and really be up for the return leg.

Finally, if Man C is the best the Prem has to offer, I'd fancy our chances at staying up if we are promoted this season.

What was impressive from us was the attitude of going out and playing our own game rather than be overawed by prospect of facing the PL Champions elect and their multi million line up and multi award winning Pep Gaurdiola.

We were magnificent against the best outfit in the PL and to still be in the tie is a true reflection of just how far LJ has brought us.

Virtually every sports media outlet have been signing our praises today and I as a City fan just love it!

Agreed. If that's what Man City has to offer and given their current record, we'd do pretty well in that league. If we play like we did against them last night and put the same amount of effort on the pitch on Saturday and for the rest of the season, we should have no issues in getting promoted. I honestly didn't think they were that special last night, we definetly deserved at least a draw but it is what it is and to think we've come this far... 

Our fans were great but a tad dissapointing, bare with me as I explain this.

Once the game began the nerves in our fans really kicked in, I'm guilty of this too! I spent much of the game biting my finger nails rather than singing because it soon became obvious that a result was possible but Man Blue always posed a threat. The second half seemed to last a lifetime.

When the final whistle went I wiped a few tears away and sang my heart out. The players looked devastated so it was a case of putting my feelings aside to show then how proud we were.

Of course I’m proud and I’m not gutted we lost as it still doesn’t feel like we have, although it was a cruel blow. I am gutted though that we could have totally rewritten the headlines and have even more media attention as the club really deserve some happy times. Maybe our moment will be in the return leg :thumbsup:, certainly wouldn’t rule anything out.

And one of the nights best moments was straight after we conceded the late goal we hardly took a moment before we were again singing as one to show we knew they had given their all, each and everyone of them

Heroic, simply heroic. 

Couple of minor things if we are to beat possibly the best side in the world?

I thought there were two or three occasions last night in the first half when our players just had to take a risk and have a shot first time. Against a team of this quaility the second touch means the moment goes.

Their winner. Flint was immense, so I say this was some care, but having marshelled the defence superbly all night, for that split second maybe, he missed he was one yard behind the defensive line playing Aguero onside. A world class defender steps back in to the line just before the cross, meaning you get the offside.

That is minor minor stuff. Apart from anything else we played with such courage. The number of times I was thinking ‘how many have we got forward for this corner?’

48 minutes ago, RedM said:

Of course I’m proud and I’m not gutted we lost as it still doesn’t feel like we have, although it was a cruel blow. I am gutted though that we could have totally rewritten the headlines and have even more media attention as the club really deserve some happy times. Maybe our moment will be in the return leg 

, certainly wouldn’t rule anything out.

And one of the nights best moments was straight after we conceded the late goal we hardly took a moment before we were again singing as one to show we knew they had given their all, each and everyone of them

:thumbsup:

Bobby Reid

"The fans were brilliant. We could hear them from the first minute to the last, even when they (Manchester City) scored the winner we could still hear them. It was emotional but we know that having them behind us in the next leg will be crucial.

44 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:thumbsup:

Bobby Reid

"The fans were brilliant. We could hear them from the first minute to the last, even when they (Manchester City) scored the winner we could still hear them. It was emotional but we know that having them behind us in the next leg will be crucial.

That’s great to know, so glad they could hear us. The crowd really was willing them on, really felt like the 12th man ( and I’m sure the players knew all fans who weren’t at the ground were willing them on too, whether they were watching or listening wherever they were). It was so loud amongst the fans it was hard to hear any other noise. But I honestly only heard about 2 or 3 noises from the ManC fans and two of them were celebrating their goals, certainly out sung. And we must make sure they are again at AG.

I didn’t go as I have limited holiday and would have had to take time off to go 

I watched it alone with my jack Russell, pacing around the lounge unable to sit and have to admit shed a few emotional tears when we scored 

Wasn’t totally gutted when they got the winner as 2-1 away would have been a good result for a champions league team 

15 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

I think LJ should have brought on the two remaining subs in extra time in order to break the rhythm of Man C. Brought one on than a minute later the other. This would of given us breathing space and seen us over the line. But a brilliant performance.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

24 hrs later and I'm raring for it... but sports psychology is so important- if we'd have lost the game 1-0 we'd be far less deflated.

All the posts I've seen are how well we did and thanks for this and thanks for that. However, We are still very much in this... 

They might not be bothered as they have the lead, Flint scores in the 84th minute, we hold on until 120 mins and go through on away goals.

My feelings when Aguero scored soon changed from disappointment to anger. I really thought - right you Manc b******* you’ll pay for that at the Gate.

And I think that’s how the players will feel, a draw would have produced too many celebrations like we had won it. That goal has changed the thinking of both teams which I think will work in our favour. 

Now where’s that train timetable Devon to London for next month? 

This stat from BBC Sport (about 8 shots at the bottom of the post) makes very proud reading. Arguably we are better than Wolves then .....

Bristol City 'did anything but park the bus' against Man City, says Ally McCoist

By Ally McCoist

BBC Radio 5 live at Etihad Stadium

10 Jan

From the sectionLeague Cup

Lee Johnson and Pep Guardiola's sides will meet again on 23 January

Bristol City's players might be feeling deflated after Manchester City's late winner on Tuesday night, but they shouldn't be.

The Robins lost the first leg of their Carabao Cup semi-final but they still got what they came to the Etihad Stadium for because the tie is still alive, and they should be so proud of that achievement.

I was delighted with the way the Championship side played and, as callers to 5 live said after the match, they put many Premier League teams to shame with their attack-minded approach - they did anything but park the bus.

Not many teams have gone to Etihad Stadium this season and tried to play on the front foot and, when they have, Manchester City have beaten them with a lot more ease than they did against Lee Johnson's side.

'8,000 Bristolians walking on cider' - 5 live Football Daily

Late Aguero goal gives Manchester City advantage

Bristol City had eight shots at goal in Tuesday's tie. None of the 16 other teams to have visited Etihad Stadium this season in the Premier League, Champions League or Carabao Cup have managed more.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Actually I thought we made quite a few unusual individual mistakes due to nerves. Cut those out, make the most of our chances and we can definitely make it through.

Agree, odd as it sounds after such an heroic effort, I think we can play quite a bit better than that.

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Agree, odd as it sounds after such an heroic effort, I think we can play quite a bit better than that.

The thing is - you need the ball to play well. Their players are so good at retaining the ball it is hard to get any rhythm into your own passing game. So we will need to work really hard at keeping the ball at home in order to show what we can do ourselves.

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

The thing is - you need the ball to play well. Their players are so good at retaining the ball it is hard to get any rhythm into your own passing game. So we will need to work really hard at keeping the ball at home in order to show what we can do ourselves.

True. But it was more giving the ball away when we had it I was thinking of. I’m not criticising as overall they were brilliant and I know how under pressure they were when on the ball.

I think it’s a positive because despite all the great things everyone has been saying I know we can play better. With 90 minutes experience against them under their belts, I really think we will play better......however, so might they I suppose.

52 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

24 hrs later and I'm raring for it... but sports psychology is so important- if we'd have lost the game 1-0 we'd be far less deflated.

I completely disagree with this, if you mean the players psychology? Surely the fact you scored and had a proper go at us, should make the players realise they don't need to feel afraid of the game? That alone should give them more confidence, as well as playing in front of a partisan crowd.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

That’s great to know, so glad they could hear us. The crowd really was willing them on, really felt like the 12th man ( and I’m sure the players knew all fans who weren’t at the ground were willing them on too, whether they were watching or listening wherever they were). It was so loud amongst the fans it was hard to hear any other noise. But I honestly only heard about 2 or 3 noises from the ManC fans and two of them were celebrating their goals, certainly out sung. And we must make sure they are again at AG.

Have never heard such consistent noise . It came over so well on TV ( sometimes it doesn’t ) . Magnificent support , better than any other fans on the country . Lump in throat throughout and that was watching on TV 

congratulations all you fans who went up there . Truly inspirational 

24 hours later and what really pleased me was that the personality (or identity) of our play shone through all night. We played our game, neat, short passes, superbly organised defensively, pressing brilliantly and  at appropriate times, etc

Being able to do your thing under the particular circumstances of the occasion shows a real depth of commitment, confidence and even courage. 

Furthermore, it worked and it will continue to bring us success. Our style of play, our togetherness and what some refer to as the DNA of individual players and the team is nothing short of brilliant.

Everyone associated with Bristol City Football Club should be very proud and deserves to enjoy what’s happening. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Virtually every sports media outlet have been signing our praises today and I as a City fan just love it!

Name and shame I say.

P.s. My voice is only this late evening early morning starting to recover... We all sang tirelessly. So hard in fact that my back gave out.. Does that make sense to any Doc out there? Particularly eieieio... Somehow that one just rips my lower back to shreds. But worth every groan and creak i had a plenty all nyt.

P.p.s. I have to say, although the stadium was gurt lush, our fish and chips are better down west me babbers.

2 hours ago, MCFC said:

I completely disagree with this, if you mean the players psychology? Surely the fact you scored and had a proper go at us, should make the players realise they don't need to feel afraid of the game? That alone should give them more confidence, as well as playing in front of a partisan crowd.

I tend to agree with you. The fact we scored, and scored 1st gives me huge confidence in the 2nd leg. 

Had it been 1 nil to you I'd have been far more concerned than I am now. 

If we perform like we did yesterday and then add the Ashton Gate factor into the mix then that gives me some confidence we can get a result against you. I'm not sure a 1 nil loss would have gave me the same confidence. 

The away goal sort of makes the tie 2-1.5. Had that been Arsenal or Chelsea you played yesterday even they would have been pleased coming away with that score line.

How will your players react to playing In such a intimating atmosphere? Every single fan in the stadium will be screaming their heads off and that's hopefully going to give us some sort of advantage. 

It would have been nice to leave the Etihad with a 1 nil or even the 1-1, however now I'm out of that moment I think that would have been a bad thing for us in this tie. It would have been great to have been able to talk about for years how we went to the Etihad and got a result but I think that would have seen you play your strongest side and really go for it, just like we now have to. 

As you saw in the last 10 mins or so we dropped deep and stopped playing our own game really and got punished for that. We would have done that in the 2nd leg had we got a result. Now we have to go for it rather than protecting a lead.

Not the way I saw the last 10 minutes - we continued to attack when the opportunity presented but came under more pressure with the substitutions Pep made. Flint was still in their box from open play at one stage I am sure. Everything to play for in the second leg and if we score first expect pandemonium.

4 hours ago, Lordofthebling said:

All the posts I've seen are how well we did and thanks for this and thanks for that. However, We are still very much in this... 

They might not be bothered as they have the lead, Flint scores in the 84th minute, we hold on until 120 mins and go through on away goals.

is that right, did not realise the away goal only counted after extra time, thought if we won 1-0 at 90 mins that would be us through.

8 hours ago, MCFC said:

Agreed. 2-1 is a far better score line.

11 hours ago, 22A said:

Manchester City were a bit off their pace on Tuesday night. Their sights on their shooting boots weren't quite zero'd in. They were the better team, no question, but I do feel if we were promoted we could stay up (Priority number 1 surely). I'm still very proud of the fans and the team on Tuesday night, and whatever the eventual outcome of this season, it's been a helluva journey

20 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Manchester City were a bit off their pace on Tuesday night. Their sights on their shooting boots weren't quite zero'd in. They were the better team, no question, but I do feel if we were promoted we could stay up (Priority number 1 surely). I'm still very proud of the fans and the team on Tuesday night, and whatever the eventual outcome of this season, it's been a helluva journey

It’s pretty obvious we were at the top of our game whilst ManC were certainly below their high standards, but as is often said you can only play what’s infront of you. I spoke to a neutral who watched on tv whose judgement I’d certainly respect, I asked him to be honest and he said that without knowing you wouldn’t realise there was a league of teams between them. That on reflection is high praise.

Archived