IGNORED

Korey Smith booking & 12 yard wall

Olé

I thought it was perspective at the time from Tier 3, but watching it back the ref really did march us 12 yards back for a free kick in the second half.

Surely if you have the 6 yard box and the penalty area as references, measuring 10 yards shouldn't be so complex, nor spotting when you're wrong.

All the players complained, Paterson has a go at pacing it and the ref told him off.. then King Korey paces it anyway, even ignoring the yellow card.

As expected, he finishes 2 yards short of the ball (well, actually 3 but he has little legs). But imagine if Korey had got sent off for a second yellow..

5a56858cb9f41_ScreenShot2018-01-10at21_28_48.thumb.png.616b1e4f4e2947086b2915fc82550df7.png 5a56860d62848_ScreenShot2018-01-10at21_30_52.thumb.png.229e7ac0e8f0617251851ebb5d078e37.png

That's what I mean Spud, why did the players actually have to pace it out? Couldn't the referee listen to them pointing out his mistake (which they had been doing).

Instead we end up getting a stupid booking because the referee can't use his eyes and take onboard a mistake that is discernible simply from marking on the pitch.

Yes, I noticed this also. 

What I was also baffled about was that  Korey was booked for seemingly not retreating (looked like the ref mouthed something along those lines), but the ball had not even been placed on the floor as yet. Surely you can’t book him for not retreating when play is not actually ready to restart. 

I think the Man C players were being a bit cheeky here. Without placing the ball, how can Frank correctly organise the wall. It’s unsportsmanlike in my opinion. 

It all looks pretty much correct to me, the ball is a couple of feet outside the area, the wall is is a yard or so outside the 6-yard box, so it’s nit-picking at it’s best.

You also have to remember that any person’s step is highly unlikely to measure a yard & if anything the referees would probably of had more chance than most to know how to measure 10-yards out (stick a tape measure on the floor, measured out to 10-yards & then see how many steps it takes to make the mark, that way you don’t have the old-skool stupid walks ala John Cleese / Monty Python, so 12 steps of this particular ref might well be 10-yards).

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

It all looks pretty much correct to me, the ball is a couple of feet outside the area, the wall is is a yard or so outside the 6-yard box, so it’s nit-picking at it’s best.

You also have to remember that any person’s step is highly unlikely to measure a yard & if anything the referees would probably of had more chance than most to know how to measure 10-yards out (stick a tape measure on the floor, measured out to 10-yards & then see how many steps it takes to make the mark, that way you don’t have the old-skool stupid walks ala John Cleese / Monty Python, so 12 steps of this particular ref might well be 10-yards).

He didn’t have to mark 10yards though Tipps _ that’s the point 

All he had to do was go 2 yards from 6 yard box plus the distance of the ball from the edge of the pen area

Thats what people are rightly saying

Wasnt difficult for Taylor was it

As for not picking - that close to goal a yard or two either way could make a massive difference

As it was I wonder whether he actually , inadvertently did us a favour as a deeper wall made the job of getting it over and down under the bar possibly harder 

Please Note Luke that Frankie had no bloody gap in his wall 

:no:

14 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Couple feet off the 18 yard box. Call it a yard. So 19 yards out. We are about a yard off the six yard box. So 7 yards out. That is 12 yards and easily pointed out with the lines. Even nit-picking it should be a yard closer at least. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He didn’t have to mark 10yards though Tipps _ that’s the point 

All he had to do was go 2 yards from 6 yard box plus the distance of the ball from the edge of the pen area

Thats what people are rightly saying

Wasnt difficult for Taylor was it

As for not picking - that close to goal a yard or two either way could make a massive difference

As it was I wonder whether he actually , inadvertently did us a favour as a deeper wall made the job of getting it over and down under the bar possibly harder 

Please Note Luke that Frankie had no bloody gap in his wall 

:no:

I guess the issue is that the ref has to be seen to be measuring it out though Bob, if he had just guessed / estimated where the wall should go, he would of been slated for only guessing.

The free kick / wall being that close always makes it more difficult for the taker as it’s harder to actually see the goal with the wall there & it’s a lot harder to be able to get a ball up & down in such a small space.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Couple feet off the 18 yard box. Call it a yard. So 19 yards out. We are about a yard off the six yard box. So 7 yards out. That is 12 yards and easily pointed out with the lines. Even nit-picking it should be a yard closer at least. 

But there is no definite way of marking out 10 yards, unless they are going to start arming referees with tape measures or laser measurement devices, it’s always a matter of guess work.

You go out & take 10 paces / steps & then actually measure it, it is very unlikely to be anywhere near 10 yards & you’ll be amazed by just how many supporters will actually count as a referee measures out where a wall should be & then start making a big point about how the ref has used 12 steps / paces or his steps are huge & he’s cheating.

I would hazard a guess that very rarely is a wall ever exactly 10 yards away from where the ball is placed, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn’t but that’s the way it’s always been & unless the referee is armed with another tool, people will always complain but the way things are going, referees are going to have to wear a builders tool belt just to put all their equipment on them.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I guess the issue is that the ref has to be seen to be measuring it out though Bob, if he had just guessed / estimated where the wall should go, he would of been slated for only guessing.

The free kick / wall being that close always makes it more difficult for the taker as it’s harder to actually see the goal with the wall there & it’s a lot harder to be able to get a ball up & down in such a small space.

But there is no definite way of marking out 10 yards, unless they are going to start arming referees with tape measures or laser measurement devices, it’s always a matter of guess work.

You go out & take 10 paces / steps & then actually measure it, it is very unlikely to be anywhere near 10 yards & you’ll be amazed by just how many supporters will actually count as a referee measures out where a wall should be & then start making a big point about how the ref has used 12 steps / paces or his steps are huge & he’s cheating.

I would hazard a guess that very rarely is a wall ever exactly 10 yards away from where the ball is placed, sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn’t but that’s the way it’s always been & unless the referee is armed with another tool, people will always complain but the way things are going, referees are going to have to wear a builders tool belt just to put all their equipment on them.

Yea but there are clear markers to help in this instance. Rarely do you see players complain about this so you have to take their word for it too. Korey Smith isn’t getting booked for no reason. Of course it is rarely exactly 10 yards but surely should be within half a yard? In a semi final against some of the best players in the world, the difference between 31 feet and 36 feet could be a massive advantage. 

14 hours ago, Olé said:

I thought it was perspective at the time from Tier 3, but watching it back the ref really did march us 12 yards back for a free kick in the second half.

Surely if you have the 6 yard box and the penalty area as references, measuring 10 yards shouldn't be so complex, nor spotting when you're wrong.

All the players complained, Paterson has a go at pacing it and the ref told him off.. then King Korey paces it anyway, even ignoring the yellow card.

As expected, he finishes 2 yards short of the ball (well, actually 3 but he has little legs). But imagine if Korey had got sent off for a second yellow..

5a56858cb9f41_ScreenShot2018-01-10at21_28_48.thumb.png.616b1e4f4e2947086b2915fc82550df7.png 5a56860d62848_ScreenShot2018-01-10at21_30_52.thumb.png.229e7ac0e8f0617251851ebb5d078e37.png

Must admit at the time I fully expected the net to ripple and us to cave in. Well done lads

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea but there are clear markers to help in this instance. Rarely do you see players complain about this so you have to take their word for it too. Korey Smith isn’t getting booked for no reason. Of course it is rarely exactly 10 yards but surely should be within half a yard? In a semi final against some of the best players in the world, the difference between 31 feet and 36 feet could be a massive advantage. 

I would argue that it wasn’t that far away.

Korey got booked for measuring out the distance, it was the way he questioned the referee, rather than asking he actually paced & counted his steps, they are trying to get the questioning / arguing with the officials out of the game & I’m guessing this is what the ref seen as Korey doing.

This will sound a bit bitter but it's not meant to be.

During the first half, I thought the ref was pretty damn good if I'm honest. It felt like someone was in his ear at half time saying 'this can't happen' though as I thought he was very biased towards the home side in the 2nd.

Maybe it's my rose tinted City biased specs but that's how I saw it as they seemed to get every decision after half time and how Stones wasn't even booked pre penalty needs explaining as Bobby would have been clean through. I understand about the 'attempt to get the ball' stuff but it would have been a booking anywhere else on the pitch IMHO.

24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I would argue that it wasn’t that far away.

Korey got booked for measuring out the distance, it was the way he questioned the referee, rather than asking he actually paced & counted his steps, they are trying to get the questioning / arguing with the officials out of the game & I’m guessing this is what the ref seen as Korey doing.

Yea but I don’t think Korey is that petulant to do that to a ref without significant reason. There is visual evidence it was that far away. When great players like De Bruyne are standing over a free kick then the ref needs to get it right and at best it is a yard too far with human error. 

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

This will sound a bit bitter but it's not meant to be.

During the first half, I thought the ref was pretty damn good if I'm honest. It felt like someone was in his ear at half time saying 'this can't happen' though as I thought he was very biased towards the home side in the 2nd.

Maybe it's my rose tinted City biased specs but that's how I saw it as they seemed to get every decision after half time and how Stones wasn't even booked pre penalty needs explaining as Bobby would have been clean through. I understand about the 'attempt to get the ball' stuff but it would have been a booking anywhere else on the pitch IMHO.

I thought the same. The difference in the ref each half was drastic. It isn’t like Man city were any more dominant in the second half either. They always dominated possesion and perhaps if anything more patient. Second half just felt like calls that were being waved away were now being awarded. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea but I don’t think Korey is that petulant to do that to a ref without significant reason. There is visual evidence it was that far away. When great players like De Bruyne are standing over a free kick then the ref needs to get it right and at best it is a yard too far with human error. 

While I agree the wall was too far back, didn't that help us as it made it much tougher for KDB to get the ball up over the wall and down in time to be on target? 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d have had all 10 outfield players on the line, and Mad-Frankie, rushing at the ball as soon as he could.  No way he’d have seen any shot stood behind the ball.

I wouldn’t have bothered with a wall or keeper, just leaving Flinty on the goal line.

Archived