IGNORED

4 losses on the bounce!

Br 1st ol

9 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The only loss I am concerned about is the Villa one.

Wolves are running away with this division and we narrowly lost. Watford was a cup game against Premier League opposition. Man City was a magnificent performance against probably the current best team in the world.

Villa doesn’t concern me either to be honest. It was a knackered team who had played a load of games in a short space of time who had no choice but to go for it at 2 down. Some days that would get a draw, other days a thrashing. It was just one of those things.

That said, whilst I am not worried, I do think it important we get a result Saturday. Otherwise it starts to look like a losing streak and could play on players’ minds ahead of Derby.

I am confident we will though. The team still look full of confidence.

18 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Wolves are running away with this division and we narrowly lost. Watford was a cup game against Premier League opposition. Man City was a magnificent performance against probably the current best team in the world.

I thought the type of loss against Villa might come earlier than it did.  Basically the same 11 players playing the most high tempo game I think I have ever seen a Bristol City side play, was bound to take it's toll, especially over Xmas. 

With the Walsh signing ( possibly others) and the returning players, LJ can start to rotating the starting 11 as he did so successfully when we had a full squad. 

It might be February before a real force again, but hopefully we can pick up some good points in January as well. Just to put things into perspective, we still have 10 points from the last 6 games, so we are on track for another 17 from 10 haul if not better.

A scenario so distanced from the row of defeats last year they are poles apart

A very committed squad , it would appear totally as one

A manager who’s confident , relaxed , in control and appears to have the respect of the squad who importantly appear to believe in him and his game plans

All four defeats are understandable and were IMHO somewhat predictable

We could do with a win on Saturday just to get back on the bus so to speak but even another defeat won’t change my mind about what is developing and is showing at our Club

However if we lose another four - Johnson Out  :redcard:

;):laughcont:

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

With the Walsh signing ( possibly others) and the returning players, LJ can start to rotating the starting 11 as he did so successfully when we had a full squad. 

That's it for me. The Villa game because we just didn't have strong enough options (yet) to replace tired legs. I cant shake this feeling that Saturdays game is going to be an important one for the season. Think its really important after Tuesdays performance to get another 3 points in the league. 

Villa loss isn't a concern at all. These players were dead on their feet by the end of the Wolves game -  needed a weeks rest but couldn't have it with our squad.

They have had it now and if we can just get Djuric and Diedhiou back, and add a player or two more to this squad,  then I think we can make top 6.

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

That was our 6th game in 16 days with minimal squad rotation during that period.

Wolves was the one I can't get over because we lost a game from an unloseable (new word) position a la the Wednesday game last season.

The fixtures this weekend would suggest the top six will all expect to pick up points, so a win for us will help us keep in the race.

I think LJ just has to tell the players 'look, if you want to play big games like that week in week out next season, we need to apply ourselves now and fight for every point'.

1 hour ago, RedFencing said:

That's it for me. The Villa game because we just didn't have strong enough options (yet) to replace tired legs. I cant shake this feeling that Saturdays game is going to be an important one for the season. Think its really important after Tuesdays performance to get another 3 points in the league. 

Very big and difficult game saturday,they will be organized 'n hard to break down..plus we could be a little jaded from the physical/emotional demands of Tuesday-we need to get back that feeling of winning again-asap....

A defeat home to Norwich,of all sides,whom are solid but somewhat non-descript could be damaging to the psyche.

I know the reasons behind the heavy Villa loss. I guess I should have said “the loss that concerned me at the time”. Losing 5-0 is never good, no matter the reasons, and I worried it would hit confidence.

The Man City game showed that this team is still up for it, hopefully Villa was a blip like Ipswich was in our play off season. Although I’d like the top 2 over the play offs this time!

I remain concerned by the tiredness within the squad. Not just physical per se, but the emotional resources required to deal with the recent intensity of both the fixtures and the added media interest. I'd be a bit more confident about matters, right now, if the squad was more robust numbers wise, but no sign, yet, of Milan and/or Fammy. We've lost one in Leko and gained one in Walsh, so parity there (also got GE back in town, although whether he is utilised remains to be seen). However, when Marlon says he's still tired, I wonder if that is a common theme throughout the team. 

This isn't a dig/gripe, just a concern that I would like to see a few more bodies about the place, as I don't want us to ultimately become penalised viz. league position as a result of our success in the Cup. I think play-offs more likely than not, but with everyone from PNE upwards, essentially playing for one auto spot, it's going to be a big ask if we won't get more faces through the door and/or out out the treatment room. I am sure it's all in hand, but I hope that things move quickly :) 

26 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I remain concerned by the tiredness within the squad. Not just physical per se, but the emotional resources required to deal with the recent intensity of both the fixtures and the added media interest. I'd be a bit more confident about matters, right now, if the squad was more robust numbers wise, but no sign, yet, of Milan and/or Fammy. We've lost one in Leko and gained one in Walsh, so parity there (also got GE back in town, although whether he is utilised remains to be seen). However, when Marlon says he's still tired, I wonder if that is a common theme throughout the team. 

This isn't a dig/gripe, just a concern that I would like to see a few more bodies about the place, as I don't want us to ultimately become penalised viz. league position as a result of our success in the Cup. I think play-offs more likely than not, but with everyone from PNE upwards, essentially playing for one auto spot, it's going to be a big ask if we won't get more faces through the door and/or out out the treatment room. I am sure it's all in hand, but I hope that things move quickly :) 

It’s a fair concern, but if you look at the performance at the Etihad, following a rest, it shows how quickly players recouperate if done properly.  Games won’t be as hard as that either.

15 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Funnily enough I was less bothered by that then I was the Wolves defeat. 

Imo we were handed 3 points on a plate and fked it up. 

Villa was a game to far and I simply don’t care about Watford. 

For me, the Villa result was really hard to take because this team really doesn't deserve to have a 5-0 defeat on the record for this season. We've been that good. I'm honestly trying to put it out of my mind and forget it ever happened. The team seem to have done that which is the important thing.

We're only going to have 2 more games as tough as Tuesday night this season (2nd leg and the final).

The players that night not only did the club proud, but represented the Championship in incredible fashion, outperforming many Premier League sides against probably the best club side in the world right now.

Archived