IGNORED

Chelsea's Village Green?

downendcity

Even the high & mighty can have problems getting a new stadium built, even when their owner is even wealthier than hours.

Little has ever stood between Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and realising his ambitions for the club.  But plans for a £1bn new stadium are being held up by one family over their right to light - and the lack of it shining into their home when the new Stamford Bridge is built.

The Crosthwaites have lived in their west London cottage for 50 years and it is so close to the Premier League club's ground that you could almost kick a football from their doorstep onto the pitch. The family - made up of parents Lucinda and Nicolas, plus children Louis and Rose - took out an injunction in May over their belief the towering new 60,000-capacity stadium will cast a permanent shadow over parts of their home.

The new stadium was granted planning permission one year ago and has been signed off by the Mayor of London, but Chelsea have called on the local council to intervene and take advantage of planning laws to stop the injunction effectively ending the planned development.

Hammersmith and Fulham councillors are meeting on Monday to decide what happens next.

Billionaire Abramovich is a man who usually gets what he wants, but the dispute has already put the brakes on the project's investment and, thanks to the Crosthwaites, there is a risk that Europe's most expensive stadium may not even get built.

The club have told the local council that work cannot go ahead while there remains a risk the injunction could successfully stop the development. And the council says if it does not act to help Chelsea the "development would not proceed as proposed".

• Admin
1 minute ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

So, the name of the family has been made public. Can imagine elements of Chelsea’s support not being best pleased with them. Really hope this doesn’t turn nasty for them.

Was just thinking the same, clever move no doubt by the club to slip the family name out.

Surely easier to say to the family name a price, and we'll buy you another property anywhere you like. 

Let's hope this does not end like the property that was blocking Tottenham 

6 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

So, the name of the family has been made public. Can imagine elements of Chelsea’s support not being best pleased with them. Really hope this doesn’t turn nasty for them.

I know. The article even had an aerial photo with their house circled so the thugs can find them...

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Both sickening and cynical in equal measures

That said I did wonder what the 6 figured offer from CFC would have to be raised to for them to accept

1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Joke of a stadium, looks more like a pretentious art museum than a stadium for football fans. 25% of the 60000 capacity is gonna be corporate hospitality, utterly sickening!! 

Hope they win their battle, though can’t see it, like the report says, council will just put a compulsory purchase on their house

I think its a fabulous design. Herzog and De Muron are a brilliant award winning architectural practice who have managed to squeeze a 60k arena into an extremely tight site and if you look at the detail and materials to be employed it will blend in significantly more than the current carbuncle they have. 

I predict, if built, it will be considered an almost instant icon. The Birds Nest, Bayern's Allianz Arena and Bordeaux's new ground are all by Herzog.

All of that said i hope the owners of the cottage are fully respected and if they cannot be persuaded professionally and calmly then they should be left alone.

23 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I think its a fabulous design. Herzog and De Muron are a brilliant award winning architectural practice who have managed to squeeze a 60k arena into an extremely tight site and if you look at the detail and materials to be employed it will blend in significantly more than the current carbuncle they have. 

I predict, if built, it will be considered an almost instant icon. The Birds Nest, Bayern's Allianz Arena and Bordeaux's new ground are all by Herzog.

All of that said i hope the owners of the cottage are fully respected and if they cannot be persuaded professionally and calmly then they should be left alone.

I agree, I really like it, it's different, not like the identikit grounds that have been going up all over since Derby's was built.

I wish we'd have been able to redevelop Maine Road, instead of having to move, we had the room for it. Still, wouldn't have been enough room for the academy etc.

Anyways, at least they are not being utter c***s about it, like Liverpool were, when they built their new main stand.

26 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I agree, I really like it, it's different, not like the identikit grounds that have been going up all over since Derby's was built.

I wish we'd have been able to redevelop Maine Road, instead of having to move, we had the room for it. Still, wouldn't have been enough room for the academy etc.

Anyways, at least they are not being utter c***s about it, like Liverpool were, when they built their new main stand.

The Etihad stadium looks amazing though, it looks really intimidating and at night looks amazing.

17 minutes ago, Fiale said:

The Etihad stadium looks amazing though, it looks really intimidating and at night looks amazing.

A bugbear of many City fans, is that they still haven't replaced the Blue lights at the top of the supporting steels, there's only one working now, it adds a lot to the overall look of the place.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

No it isn't and no it won't be. Even before its built it already looks outdated. 

I'd argue aswell without using bricks they would be able to squeeze a little bit extra onto that site.

I think your missing the point. The stadiums you have listed are all iconic because they all stand out. Where as by your own admission this one will blend in.

Naming the family is out of order. A comparison could be made with Spurs , although the firm were trying to hold them to ransom. Offered millions more than the company was worth and relocation costs, one company tried to screw Spurs over , until there was an “accidental”fire apparently.  I hope the family get a deal they’re happy with before intimidation starts.

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Are they doing the memorial stadium next :whistle:

7 hours ago, MCFC said:

Very harsh MCFC as the Etihad is a stunning home. I appreciate fans want to stay where their roots are (we did so it's easy to preach) but you have a beautiful stadium.

Out of interest, how far is the Etihad from the old Maine road? Moss side wasn't it?

I do agree that the Etihad is very slick and easy on the eye, I like to judge a stadium on its ability to create an atmosphere as well as how it looks. 

It does seem to lack an “end”  for home fans in this sense, which has been mentioned a lot by their fans on the Bluemoon atmosphere thread. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the end result of Tottenham’s rebuild. The home end will be a 17,000 single tier job, on the scale we haven’t seen in modern stadia in this country before. That should be very conducive to creating a great home atmosphere. 

In terms of Chelsea plans, I haven’t seen the internal seating layout but I like the design as it’s different and not an Identkit effort. Also the fact they’re trying to stay put and not going down the “out of town” route should be applauded. Nothing worse in my opinion than an Identikit, out of town stadium Eg. Reading. 

This 'right to light' claim will have an interesting in relation to the Atyeo Stand at Ashton Gate as I understand the law has changed since ours was built.

Even Hollowhead says that end lets the ground down. A nice two tier new stand would finish it off well 

15 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

that's probably why it's been made public, I wonder who leaked it supports?

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

No it isn't and no it won't be. Even before its built it already looks outdated. 

I'd argue aswell without using bricks they would be able to squeeze a little bit extra onto that site.

I think your missing the point. The stadiums you have listed are all iconic because they all stand out. Where as by your own admission this one will blend in.

To be a revered, applauded and iconic structure there is no requirement for it to stand out, in your context or any context.

I very much doubt a brazen glass structure like the Allianz or Bird Cage would receive planning permission in that location; they are only suitable for brownfield sites.

Architecture often polarises opinion and this structure is no different but i think you will be proved wrong on how this one is received and talked about in years to come. Almost looks mid century modern.

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Very harsh MCFC as the Etihad is a stunning home. I appreciate fans want to stay where their roots are (we did so it's easy to preach) but you have a beautiful stadium.

Out of interest, how far is the Etihad from the old Maine road? Moss side wasn't it?

The fish and chippy lady told me about a 20 minute drive.

2 hours ago, Trouty84 said:

I do agree that the Etihad is very slick and easy on the eye, I like to judge a stadium on its ability to create an atmosphere as well as how it looks. 

It does seem to lack an “end”  for home fans in this sense, which has been mentioned a lot by their fans on the Bluemoon atmosphere thread. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the end result of Tottenham’s rebuild. The home end will be a 17,000 single tier job, on the scale we haven’t seen in modern stadia in this country before. That should be very conducive to creating a great home atmosphere. 

In terms of Chelsea plans, I haven’t seen the internal seating layout but I like the design as it’s different and not an Identkit effort. Also the fact they’re trying to stay put and not going down the “out of town” route should be applauded. Nothing worse in my opinion than an Identikit, out of town stadium Eg. Reading. 

I agree but 25% of the seats will be corporate. There's becoming less and less space for the average fan at some clubs. :(

As for the Etihad, aren't they extending the North stand as per the South stand? What a venue that would be and we proved you can make a right row in there.

The new WHL looks awesome, especially with a 17,000 seat 'Kop'!

I absolutely agree it is appalling the family have been made public (although I wonder if it was already in the public domain when they made the injunction).

At the same time, I do think it an outrageous flaw of our planing laws that one family or a small number of individuals can put paid to something that will have a wider community benefit for thousands of people. You get this a lot with music venues and it's even worse when someone moves into a house near a music venue, knowing (or not bothering to check) about a venue nearby and then has the cheek to complain about the noise. I know the Fleece and Firkin are terrified about the new developments since then.

Even in this case - maybe they have been there fifty years but even then the stadium would have been around for 90 years and the family bought a house near it, rather than a stadium suddenly appearing next door.

I think the family should be adequately compensated for the depreciation of the value to their house - although a cottage in that part of London wouldn't depreciate that much in value even if it was a sewage works being built next door - but I do not think they should have the right to derail a project entirely. I know football is a rich sport and it is hard to be particularly sympathetic to wealthy premier league club but this type of "this is my patch so screw everyone else attitude" is a massive barrier to development and infrastructure in this country that has a knock on effect on jobs, the availability of housing and our entire society. 

@Ska Junkie

Yea the 25% corporate, not so good. The downside to Chelsea’s Capital City location and success in the last 10-15 years is it’s become a bit of a tourist attraction, Pushing normal fans out. 

I think your your right about the Eithiad North extension, that should improve things for their home support if it’s encouraged as a singing area.

Btw I think we ended up not too bad with the AG redevelopment. We retained our location which was key. When a stadium moves out of town, fans change their match day habits. People who went for a few beers before game suddenly start driving to the game and home again as it’s easier. This then carries over into the atmosphere inside. IMO You can’t  beat a football ground in an inner city area, surrounded by pubs and squeezed between the houses! Great stuff! 

Archived