IGNORED

Surprisinly

JasonM88

A long ball doesn't really mean anything, it just gets a bad press thanks to Wimbledon, Pulis etc. We switch play a lot and look for wide runs as we drag teams towards one side and exploit space on the other, all of those are long balls but are far, far removed from long ball tactics.

I saw this about a month ago, think we were second at the time though. 

I believe we're right up there in terms of most passes in the league, so the way I see it is that we tend to mix it up & this long ball stat isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just shows we've got more than one way of playing.

I remember reading a comment by, I think, Alan Hansen on when he joined Liverpool.

He said that he was watching a practice match and was stood by Bob Paisley and after a while said to Paisley that he hand't realised that Liverpool were a long ball team. Paisley replied that Liverpool didn't play long ball -  they played the right ball.

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

A long ball doesn't really mean anything, it just gets a bad press thanks to Wimbledon, Pulis etc. We switch play a lot and look for wide runs as we drag teams towards one side and exploit space on the other, all of those are long balls but are far, far removed from long ball tactics.

Glenn Hoddle...?! 

Long passing, switching play, deliberate pressure release, utilising pace, are all “long ball” tactics, but s million miles away from just lumping it.

I've never forgotten watching Ruud Gullit in a friendly at Ashton Gate, totally dominant in a deep midfield role, and simply look up, one touch and a 50 yard pass, exactly where he wanted it, time after time, and every one setting up a move, creating a chance, creating danger.

Its not how long they are that matters, it's how accurate, how effective, with what purpose.

26 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I've never forgotten watching Ruud Gullit in a friendly at Ashton Gate, totally dominant in a deep midfield role, and simply look up, one touch and a 50 yard pass, exactly where he wanted it, time after time, and every one setting up a move, creating a chance, creating danger.

Its not how long they are that matters, it's how accurate, how effective, with what purpose.

Absolute filth.

Yeah we have Flint and Baker playing long balls if they have no options, then our midfield often switching the play across the wings with long passes. If it was all aimless punting of the ball I'd be pretty disgusted, but probing and creating space the way we try is good to watch.

There’s always those long balls in behind the full-backs, that with willing runners like Reid, Diedhiou and Paterson, either end up getting us 50 yards up the pitch in possession or 50 yards up the pitch with a throw-in because the retreating CB, knocks it out for a throw, e.g. Mangala....backed up by Hörður long throw.

Sometimes you cant play through the lines and have to have different options.  Teams like Millwall don’t allow it, and although going a bit longer sounds like you’re playing into their hands, if it’s with purpose it’s not.

Back to Tuesday, great to hear that the short free-kick late in the first half was a planned set-piece.  They knew MC would push up if we went short, so we played a quick 1;2, and then clipped a 40 yard pass over the top for runners.  Almost let to a goal.  Fantastic use of a longer pass.

9 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

On average, we play more long balls than any other team in the league 

Surprising . I thought we played it out short passing in the main and against MC we nearly got done by it on occasions . We don’t have a big target man up front at moment so am surprised at this stat but good to post 

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

I remember reading a comment by, I think, Alan Hansen on when he joined Liverpool.

He said that he was watching a practice match and was stood by Bob Paisley and after a while said to Paisley that he hand't realised that Liverpool were a long ball team. Paisley replied that Liverpool didn't play long ball -  they played the right ball.

And Bill Shankley used to say get the ball into the oppositions half as quickly as possible and play football there.

Looked up the stats on Soccerway:

Total passes per 90 minutes we sit 9th.

Accurate Long Balls per 90 minutes we sit 2nd.

Inaccurate Long balls per 90 minutes we sit 12th (as in 12th worst).

So suggests we do often play long balls, but they're less likely to be lumped up (more to spread the play, or make space)

Don't really see an excellent cross field ball for example as a long ball at all. Completely different. Don't even see a dink over the top even if a long range pass as a long ball too much.

To me, a long ball is punting it up the pitch, roll out from the back to an average defender and playing the percentages. Can be effective but grinding to watch, awful in fact.

Nobody can accuse us of that, so to me it really depends on what you class as a 'long ball'.

Archived