IGNORED

Old Grey Whistle test

Esmond Million's Bung

14 hours ago, Leveller said:

Also, the only version of “Delilah” that I’ve ever liked, because it treats the lyrics the way they’re written - the words of a deranged killer.

Miss Otis regrets (written by Cole Porter) famously performed by Jose Feliciano and The Pogues with Kirsty Macoll, although written in the 3rd person is a similar such song IMO.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have often thought the same - the Tom Jones version, which I love incidentally, is sung as a ballad, missing the underlying theme.

As an aside, and I am prompted by a post from @Slacker on the fizzy drinks thread, do you know (or can you identify) the extremely tenuous link between 'Delilah' and Leeds United?  

Stoke City.

On 13/01/2018 at 23:32, Robbored said:

Indeed he was.

Saw him live when they were supporting the Who in the 70s. I think it was Leeds or maybe Manchester I can't quite remember.

The stage had a three sided framed wall like you'd see in a sitcom with a door  at the back.

All the band were there waiting for Alex Harvey  as they started to strum the intro to "are you going to" and we in the audience were gaping at the door at the back of the stage in anticipation and just as they reached the point where the vocals were due he crashed onto the stage through the wall on the right hand side.......it was brilliant!        :shocking:

I haven't forgotten it after 40 odd years and I've seen loads of bands over many years and  Alex Harvey  was one of the best.

Ah the SAHB!  Saw them at the first Knebworth in 1974 through something of a chemically-induced haze.  That Zal Cleminson was a hell of a guitarist...

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Miss Otis regrets (written by Cole Porter) famously performed by Jose Feliciano and The Pogues with Kirsty Macoll, although written in the 3rd person is a similar such song IMO.

I only know this version, performed here by Kirsty on the OGWT's successor show, Jools Holland, although I never knew it was written by Cole Porter.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As an aside, and I am prompted by a post from @Slacker on the fizzy drinks thread, do you know (or can you identify) the extremely tenuous link between 'Delilah' and Leeds United?  

Stoke City.

No, although I should stress that describing the link as tenuous is, in itself, an exaggeration.

39 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I only know this version, performed here by Kirsty on the OGWT's successor show, Jools Holland, although I never knew it was written by Cole Porter.

As with most songs done by the sadly missed Kirsty it is beautiful and perfect.

Her version of `Days` has me in tears every time I hear it.

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

As with most songs done by the sadly missed Kirsty it is beautiful and perfect.

Her version of `Days` has me in tears every time I hear it.

I shall listen to 'Days' later - I am currently writing whilst listening to a live concert by the late, great Cesaria Evora: I don't think she was well known in England, but try to find a few minutes to listen to her on the link. 

Kirsty MacColl sang both sweet ballads and 'amusing' pop songs, e.g. Elvis and Fairytale, but she was also a talented song writer, perhaps influenced by her father.

Did you (or @Esmond Million's Bung) know that her father, Ewan, wrote the lyrics for Roberta Flack's hit, The First Time Ever, also one of my favourite records?

I did know that about Ewan funnily enough!

Kirsty spent most of her professional life battling with her father over the `style` of her music - he hated the fact that she wasn`t doing folk stuff and saw her music as just shallow pop. Anyone who listens properly to her songs will know they are so much more than that.

I think they were reconciled before his death though.

On 31/01/2018 at 17:03, Red Right Hand said:

I did know that about Ewan funnily enough!

Kirsty spent most of her professional life battling with her father over the `style` of her music - he hated the fact that she wasn`t doing folk stuff and saw her music as just shallow pop. Anyone who listens properly to her songs will know they are so much more than that.

I think they were reconciled before his death though.

Her album ' Kite ' is a classic .

A tragic loss to the world when she was killed.

On 1/31/2018 at 12:59, PHILINFRANCE said:

As an aside, and I am prompted by a post from @Slacker on the fizzy drinks thread, do you know (or can you identify) the extremely tenuous link between 'Delilah' and Leeds United?  

An extremely tenuous link as I said, but for the benefit of @Esmond Million's Bung and @RedRightHand (and with apologies for quoting myself) they, 'Delilah' and Leeds' MOT, were written by the same man.

On 16/01/2018 at 10:21, The Gasbuster said:

Skynyrd '75.

Freebird at 30 mins. :yahoo:

Just revisited this thread and saw this. One of my favourite bands ever. Wish I'd had the chance to see them live.

Two iconic songs on this clip "Sweet home Alabama"  and if courses "Freebird" 

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:07, Red Right Hand said:

If anyone`s interested BBC 4 are showing a lot of Whistle Test stuff next Friday night. A three hour live programme with performances and interviews followed by some old footage and then a documentary about the programme. It starts at 9pm and goes through till 2:50 am on Saturday.

bump

Archived