IGNORED

Derby Away

Scottyred

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

889 there last season, 521 season prior to that.  Have not looked up the circumstances of those two games but it does seem as though Bristolians just don't really like going to Derby.

Last season was the tail end of our record breaking bad run. The previous season was midweek. 

I expect there will be about 500 there on Friday. 

I cant get there on the Friday night. Would definitely have gone on the Saturday, like many others. 

If I could get there on a Friday, then I would. I simply can’t make it. I’m even going to be pushed to get to the local pub to work in time for kick off. 

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

As away attendances go I think we’re up there for the most inconsistent.

it doesn't help that we keep getting limited allocations for games 'down the road' (QPR, Villa, Cardiff, spring to mind). Feels like football is loaded against the away fan nowadays in more ways than one. 

2 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

All this shows is how small a club in this league we really are. Yes I know it’s after Xmas and we’ve had extra cup games but come on. Leeds, villa, wolves in fact most top teams in league would easily take 1-2k even on Friday night live on sky 

I think it’s a simple matter of distance as much as anything. 

Leeds, Villa, Wolves are all fairly local to Derby. They could get there after work without too many problems. Bolton is further again, it’s not possible for a lot of people to get time off work for every midweek game, especially when it’s being televised. 

If it was Reading, then I’d expect us to take around 1,500 as well. 

5 hours ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

Yes was there for that too. An absolutely bizarre game!

2-0 down early,  Derby keeper sent off, 3 goals for City (including that mental own goal from Andy Comyn with his first touch). 

Derby then equalise before Tangle foot Wayne Alison scores the winner in the last minute.

Crazy scenes in that away terrace along the side of the pitch.

A top away day!

I loved the Baseball Ground - a proper old school football stadium, went there many times....loved the day out!

8 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Think Bolton game should defo be considered for free travel game! Ticket price alone is £30!!!

Me too. It’s at games like this our players really could use the support. It’s easy to be up for it for a cup game but many I expect won’t go for multiple reasons:

It’s on a Friday night.

It’s a heck of a trip.

It’s on tv.

People are skint after Xmas and the extra cup games

Tickets aren’t cheap ( £30, yes I realise we probably charged them that and more :no:)

People might not have holiday to take from work, or have jobs/family that they can leave for hours on a weekday/evening/night

I doubt if we would take many coaches, it would be a great gesture from the club to do something @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO. I believe the Fleetwood owner paid for their supporters last evening for their trip to Leicester. Even the offer of a pie and a pint /hot drink from the players? Otherwise I think this will be one away trip that has been moved too much for many and people will give it a swerve.

10 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Think Bolton game should defo be considered for free travel game! Ticket price alone is £30!!!

I’d have to disagree. 

I’m not one for free travel ideas anyway. People choose to go, or not. However, if it were to be offered, then it has to be for a Saturday game. 

People aren’t not going to Derby because of cost (generally). I suspect that most are like me and it simply isn’t possible on a Friday night, having already taken time off for the Man City game. 

If I was offered free travel, free ticket & a bj from Rachel Riley, I’d still not be able to make it. 

I’d just be slightly more annoyed about it than I currently am..! 

57 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bristol to Derby 2 hours or less on a good day. Certainly as easy to get to as say QPR but we never sell well past Birmingham.

Derby is NOT 2 hours away, on any day. And Friday evening is NOT a “good day”! 

17 minutes ago, AlwaysRed said:

Google reckons 3 hours ground to ground on a Friday afternoon, and it's not much fun when those roads get stacked in any kind of rush hour too!

Exactly, so if you aren’t able to set off by 3pm, to allow for inevitable delays, it’s pretty much impossible. 

Given that it’s on TV, you can understand people not making the efforts that they might otherwise have done. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’d have to disagree. 

I’m not one for free travel ideas anyway. People choose to go, or not. However, if it were to be offered, then it has to be for a Saturday game. 

People aren’t not going to Derby because of cost (generally). I suspect that most are like me and it simply isn’t possible on a Friday night, having already taken time off for the Man City game. 

If I was offered free travel, free ticket & a bj from Rachel Riley, I’d still not be able to make it. 

I’d just be slightly more annoyed about it than I currently am..! 

I had 2 days off for Man City, I work shifts and had no option. I finish at 6pm Friday , and as the Rachel Riley bit is unlikely I can't afford to use any more holiday.
8 of us have now risked getting tickets for Burton as we already had train tickets for Derby, we switched to the Burton game and had to pay extra , could be a very expensive non day out.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I had 2 days off for Man City, I work shifts and had no option. I finish at 6pm Friday , and as the Rachel Riley bit is unlikely I can't afford to use any more holiday.
8 of us have now risked getting tickets for Burton as we already had train tickets for Derby, we switched to the Burton game and had to pay extra , could be a very expensive non day out.

I think you'll be pretty safe for the Burton game mate. 

Can't see that being moved for Sky. 

Especially with Forest v Derby & Villa v Wolves being the stand out fixtures that weekend.

Even Preston v Fulham would warrant selection way before our game?

14 minutes ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

I think you'll be pretty safe for the Burton game mate. 

Can't see that being moved for Sky. 

Especially with Forest v Derby & Villa v Wolves being the stand out fixtures that weekend.

Even Preston v Fulham would warrant selection way before our game?

More worried about getting the tickets, what is it 1300?  Depends if we can organise one of us to get on the interweb at the right time.

The home game was a bit of a wierd one, they started better than us, but ended up blowing out of their asses after an hour, subsequently showing that Rowett has got them playing really well and deservedly challenging in the top six.

Two good sides that will give it a right go...

COYR.

On 12/01/2018 at 12:32, Scottyred said:

How many are we likely to take? 

Great question @Scottyred, from my experience we never sell out despite this seasons game being humungous! I,  of course, will be travelling from the beloved BS3 and taking the Friday off so I can get there and sip on some cold tins of THATCHERS GOLD prior to kick off (with you unless you stand me up like you did last time ;) )

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 15:54, poland_exile said:

i remember going up for the epic 4-3 game in the early 90s - that was on TV, beginning of the season and a daft sunday kick-off. No idea what the official number was, but it was a mental atmosphere! at a guess we had about 1,000 up there and in fine voice we were as well! I don't blame anyone whose interest in the aways has faded mind - not the same anymore with the seats, the prices, the tickets in advance, the stewarding, etc. Drained the life out of football. 

Living in Derby then (as I do now) I was in an odd situation for that game.

• I actually had a season ticket for Derby! As all City away games in the Midlands / North didn't coincide with the Derby home games, this worked well.
  • I was offered hospitality in a box by the company I worked for.
  • The game was on the TV.

So what did I do? Obviously in the away end! Indeed the game was mental, and so definitely the right choice.

Didn't Junior Bent (5' 3" tall) score with a header?

I actually knew some Derby fans who were lobbing the bricks over at us as we left (Osmaston Road end)!

Brilliant day out, and I was home in 20 minutes ;)

9 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

• I actually had a season ticket for Derby! As all City away games in the Midlands / North didn't coincide with the Derby home games, this worked well.

So what did I do? Obviously in the away end! Indeed the game was mental, and so definitely the right choice.

I actually knew some Derby fans who were lobbing the bricks over at us as we left (Osmaston Road end)!

No I think Junior slotted past the keeper with a shot.

Wayne Alison's winner was a header, along with Andy Comyn's unforgettable own goal!

10 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

This was the only time I went up to the BBG, and woah, it's stayed imprinted in my mind to this day. The boxes, were they in the weird tower structure in the corner, or was that given over to other purposes? 

Jooonior, definitely scored, I can't remember if it was with a header - I'll dig out the highlights later on YouTube! 

It's impossible to describe the atmosphere and emotions to those that weren't there - sheer see-saw football with everything you could wish for. Amazing! 

Seeing you're familiar with the ground, any guesses how many we had up that day? I'm guessing a thousand odd but have no idea what the capacity ever was. 

Archived