IGNORED

Wheelchair spaces

Leveller

Before the ground redevelopment, I used to sympathise with wheelchair users who had to sit in a poor location (in my view) by the touchline.

When the Lansdown opened, I chose a ST right in front of a well situated wheelchair area with a brilliant view and lots of room, plus seats for carers. I was sure this would be a big benefit.

To my surprise, after a season and a half, I have yet to see the area with a wheelchair fan in it. The only occupants have been ambulance staff, so it seems like wasted space, in practice, to date.

This intrigues me. Do the regulations mean clubs are now, on the whole over providing? Or is it just my aftershave?

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Before the ground redevelopment, I used to sympathise with wheelchair users who had to sit in a poor location (in my view) by the touchline.

When the Lansdown opened, I chose a ST right in front of a well situated wheelchair area with a brilliant view and lots of room, plus seats for carers. I was sure this would be a big benefit.

To my surprise, after a season and a half, I have yet to see the area with a wheelchair fan in it. The only occupants have been ambulance staff, so it seems like wasted space, in practice, to date.

This intrigues me. Do the regulations mean clubs are now, on the whole over providing? Or is it just my aftershave?

Which area Leveller?  Lansdown, right hand side, looking from the Dolman?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Which area Leveller?  Lansdown, right hand side, looking from the Dolman?

If he does mean that, it ain't gonna be used as stadium designers forgot to add concourse access to the seats. The seats are staying empty. :facepalm:

There’s two answers to this, I think.

1) if you massively up the number of spaces for wheelchair users at a ground, it will take a while until they are used because it is likely wheelchair users weren’t going before if there were not enough spaces. The space might not be used now but it is useful to have as the club grows.

2) calculations for spaces for wheelchair users will always be ad-hoc simply because you can easily pull up stats for disabled people in the uk (used to be about 11 million but now about 13 million) but only around 3 - 6% of disabled people are wheelchair users, and clearly any statistical spread of any population will be uneven. It may just happen to be the case that a lower than average ratio of the disabled fans that go to Ashton Gate are wheelchair users.

12 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

If he does mean that, it ain't gonna be used as stadium designers forgot to add concourse access to the seats. The seats are staying empty. :facepalm:

So we've met the quota by providing the seating even though an oversight means they can't be used. Crikey.

Though I'm not using this as a stick to beat the club because they are generally very good on such matters and very much give me the impression that this is because they actively want to provide proper disabled access rather than grudgingly ticking a planning requirement off.

56 minutes ago, kevthered said:

I often bring my disabled stepson who is in a wheelchair and decide to take him on the day and we ring up for a ticket and the only space left is in the Lansdown about W17 pitchside ...We want more elevated seats but none ever available and we miss so much its annoying 

Then it’s about time the club sorted out the empty area I sit next to. Can it be done? Anybody know?

I would suggest that the fixture against Manchester United was the largest Wheelchair attendance at Ashton Gate ever.

On the day that marks the fifth anniversary of my brother Ians passing,  I would say I am always very proud when I see the area bearing his name, full to capacity.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

There’s two answers to this, I think.

1) if you massively up the number of spaces for wheelchair users at a ground, it will take a while until they are used because it is likely wheelchair users weren’t going before if there were not enough spaces. The space might not be used now but it is useful to have as the club grows.

2) calculations for spaces for wheelchair users will always be ad-hoc simply because you can easily pull up stats for disabled people in the uk (used to be about 11 million but now about 13 million) but only around 3 - 6% of disabled people are wheelchair users, and clearly any statistical spread of any population will be uneven. It may just happen to be the case that a lower than average ratio of the disabled fans that go to Ashton Gate are wheelchair users.

When the development was ongoing, the Wheelchair Sections were totally full of Season Card holders I seem to recall.  Now the LS has lots of WC spaces you’ll see lots of spaces in other WC sections of the ground.  Even Section A4 where we sit has spare seats, but those might be SC holders who aren’t attending.

4 hours ago, kevthered said:

I often bring my disabled stepson who is in a wheelchair and decide to take him on the day and we ring up for a ticket and the only space left is in the Lansdown about W17 pitchside ...We want more elevated seats but none ever available and we miss so much its annoying 

When I know I’m not going I always inform:

• Gareth Torpy, DSLO
  • Supporter Services
  • Rob Wood - not sure of his official role, but he looks after us all on match days

So that if anyone is looking to try out A4, our seats are free.

Also so that can re-use my disabled parking bay.

My stepson is a adult like to add....It is annoying when you know they're going to have places available and don't offer them to you...I was wondering if it's down to stewarding for example they don't want to open up sections till they have sold out the ones that have stewards in place already...We don't need any assistance from stewards just access.

I can tell you why the disabled sections in the lower Lansdown are unused, because I asked to go into the one just in front of where I usually sit in W16 with my wheelchair-bound dad for the match against Derby. I was told that the disabled areas in the Lower Lansdown are only for those using the corporate facilities. So we had to go into the Upper Lansdown directly above which was ok, but I had hoped to show my dad where I usually sit.

However what somewhat annoys me is that other than hospitality or security staff, I can't recall anyone else using the Disabled area in W16, and I certainly don't remember ever seeing anyone in a wheelchair in there in the last 28 months. Happy to be told I am wrong on this but that's my recollection.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I can tell you why the disabled sections in the lower Lansdown are unused, because I asked to go into the one just in front of where I usually sit in W16 with my wheelchair-bound dad for the match against Derby. I was told that the disabled areas in the Lower Lansdown are only for those using the corporate facilities. So we had to go into the Upper Lansdown directly above which was ok, but I had hoped to show my dad where I usually sit.

However what somewhat annoys me is that other than hospitality or security staff, I can't recall anyone else using the Disabled area in W16, and I certainly don't remember ever seeing anyone in a wheelchair in there in the last 28 months. Happy to be told I am wrong on this but that's my recollection.

I sit with my back to the wall of that area. There were a few people in there for the Man Utd game and to my surprise, there were two sat there today.

There has never been a wheelchair in there though.

21 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Fairly sure its the required amount of disability spaces that the FA sets out. Almost no other stadiums adhere to it.

It's slightly above what's required by Statute Law under DDA requirements. So unlike many other things can't be hung around the necks of the FA 

That said the under ocupation of the very/rarely used 'corporates' in the upper Lansdown is naughty IMHO

58 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

That said the under ocupation of the very/rarely used 'corporates' in the upper Lansdown is naughty IMHO

The corporates are in the lower part of the Lansdown. The disabled area in the Upper Lansdown is available. Good view too, a bit like watching it on TV as high up & reasonably central.

24 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

I sit in the wheelchair section A4 next to the boxes. The under used corporates are in the upper Lansdown

Sorry to be a pain. The areas that you can only use with hospitality are A5 & A6 which are embedded in W12 & W16 in the lower Lansdown. I used A2 in the Upper Lansdown with my dad with a £10 "bring a mate" ticket. Bargain for the Derby game!!

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Sorry to be a pain. The areas that you can only use with hospitality are A5 & A6 which are embedded in W12 & W16 in the lower Lansdown. I used A2 in the Upper Lansdown with my dad with a £10 "bring a mate" ticket. Bargain for the Derby game!!

Thanks. My apologies/Poor knowledge as I thought the Upper Lansdown were the Disabled hospitality

Archived