IGNORED

Will we struggle because...

deadredfred

We've demonstrated to the wider footballing world that we can really play, square up to and beat top quality Premiership sides?

Could this lead to Championship teams being more cautious and compact against us and parking the bus in fear of what we're capable of if we get going?

The concern being we have struggled to break down teams this season who haven't come to play. Our high press and counter attacking game is somewhat diluted with 11 men behind the ball.

LJ has shown he can adapt but it'll be interesting to see if we are treated a little differently, and indeed how we respond  following our recent high profile performances. 

I agree. Prior to the Man Utd game we seemed to be flying below the radar. No one really expected us to be up there, by post Man Utd our newly acquired fame has made us the team to beat. I imagine the performance at the Man City only made that a lot worse.

But we are where we are. We can’t put the Genie back in the bottle (or was it lamp, I forget) if we want promotion, we’ll have to go out there and beat whoever is in front of us, regardless of their motivation. Initially I regarded our cup run as a unnecessary bit of fluff that was a distraction from the important job of getting promoted. But the past few weeks have brought us collective moments of jaw dropping magic, so far witnessed once in a generation. Knowing what I know now, there’s no way I would swap what we’ve all been through this season to have an easier path to promotion.

They say it’s sometimes better to travel than to arrive. Well I sure don’t know where we’ll end up. But this is the best journey I’ve been on for years  

Simple, we play passing attacking football against teams that are open and play on the front foot, and we play more direct using target men and set pieces for those that sit back and park the bus. We have the options albeit some are injured currently.

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Will not Derby face the same obstacle? And the mighty Aston Villa? And all sides flying high at the top?

Of course, but without having watched them that much, I don't know how they cope with parked busses. I know we've struggled. 

Agree with others saying we go Plan B and go direct, but given current injuries to Famara and Djuric who are the players who are here to facilitate that, if it means reverting to Flint up top for the next few weeks its not ideal. He does cause some problems though doesn't he! Perhaps the growing aura around Flint will prove enough of a distraction if we play direct that the movement off him will be forgotten and we can capitalise. 

If its 0-0 today after 60mins, based on Norwich keeping it tight and sitting back, we'll see what Plan B has to offer.  

Archived