IGNORED

“Hard Sun” BBC trailer - Ashton Gate?

ChippenhamRed

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The other issue is the left-hand tower has the extra bit on the top, whereas the blocks around Ashton Gate are clearly identical. I’m satisfied it’s not The Gate and think it’s probably Upton Park!

I don't think it's Upton Park either. The blocks are not the same

97406366_upton-park-sport_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Must be taken from the top of the Bristol Record Offices on the Cumberland Basin for that height and angle?

Always an amazing view in the summer when the sun sets over Ashton Court and beams back across BS3.

Oh wait have we established it's not us? Tower blocks must be East of the ground for the sun to be south by south west, which is more or less correct for AG, but it should be to the right of the gantry in the photo and behind the sports bar for any other angle.

This is a photo taken North East of the ground it refers to, and where there is a clear horizon in the distance. Not many grounds this can apply to. At Orient the separate tower blocks (not the ones built into the stand) are definitely North East of the ground. Which is this angle.

Have given ChippenhamRed's original a bit of a tweak and hope this might shed some more light on the case. I had originally thought the ironwork is redolent of the Atyeo but is clearly not.

Hope this helps

5a593ad9ab258_Stadium.png.b6a85fa24cf55f7710d9b9bccb264bbd.png

Hope it's not the reflection of ChippenhamRed's furniture...:P

I have just toured google maps in 3d and still can't find the stadium.

Any detectives out there... large city based stadium (tower blocks, large stand), possible open one end to allow photo accross the stand, horizon has trees and is hilly which suggests suburban location.... good luck!

It could be anywhere in the country, but it could also be a cricket ground. I thought it might have been the Oval for a while as it looks like there is a low stand with white seats

it also might not be a sports ground at all. It’s a bit tall to be on the roof of a stand.

in summary, good luck. I need sleep.

15 minutes ago, Ciudad Bristol said:

Got to be Upton. Maybe inverted image and with telephoto lens so those towers are miles away in North Woolwich or something? Spent too much time on it. I give up.

There's only a lift tower room on one tower so I'm not sure now. No idea to be honest.

Okay, I've seen the scene, you really cant get anything more of detail from the original picture, its way too dark except that its a sunrise and not a sunset, so its definitely in the eastwards looking direction. 

After careful consideration I've declared that if it IS indeed a stadium, the steel gantry goes across the length of the pitch and not the width, but then I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, for those who still want to see a direct source, below are two pictures, one original and one slightly tweaked to the best of my ability.

(Sorry about the blocky pixels, BBC iPlayer for you)

xc2.png

xc21.png

It was filmed in London and Anglesey and it wouldn’t make any sense (financially or creatively) to do pick-up shots anywhere else.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/hard-sun-on-bbc-one-cast-locations-and-everything-else-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-bbc-thriller-a3733536.html%3famp

I’m going to say it’s The Emirates. There are a few more tower blocks next to the two, top right of the pic, but you could easily frame them out...

6C692DDE-6D94-494A-9873-CB815D021E67.jpeg

8 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

It was filmed in London and Anglesey and it wouldn’t make any sense (financially or creatively) to do pick-up shots anywhere else.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/hard-sun-on-bbc-one-cast-locations-and-everything-else-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-bbc-thriller-a3733536.html%3famp

I’m going to say it’s The Emirates. There are a few more tower blocks next to the two, top right of the pic, but you could easily frame them out...

6C692DDE-6D94-494A-9873-CB815D021E67.jpeg

I would say it isn't because of the way the steelwork stops at a straight end......all those on the Emirates either curve or connect to something.

FFS I think I've checked every football stadium on Google Images now. Charlton doesn't work as not that many cantilevers (but does have identical tower block with the lift shaft). Emirates has identical tower blocks but cantilever isn't square (and I've been by it on the train out of Kings Cross loads of times and the horizon is not empty around there). Norwich actually has a similar cantilever and the high rise hotel to the side, but the cantilever curves. I'm prepared to say this is NOT a football stadium.

8 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Have given ChippenhamRed's original a bit of a tweak and hope this might shed some more light on the case. I had originally thought the ironwork is redolent of the Atyeo but is clearly not.

Hope this helps

5a593ad9ab258_Stadium.png.b6a85fa24cf55f7710d9b9bccb264bbd.png

Hope it's not the reflection of ChippenhamRed's furniture...:P

Your tweaking has clearly revealed Upton Park in my opinion! Look at the cladding at the end of the stand (just above the “one”). Exact match!

D9967443-DE8F-49CF-B859-C7C16EDADA2B.jpeg

Archived