IGNORED

“Hard Sun” BBC trailer - Ashton Gate?

ChippenhamRed

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

FFS I think I've checked every football stadium on Google Images now. Charlton doesn't work as not that many cantilevers (but does have identical tower block with the lift shaft). Emirates has identical tower blocks but cantilever isn't square (and I've been by it on the train out of Kings Cross loads of times and the horizon is not empty around there). Norwich actually has a similar cantilever and the high rise hotel to the side, but the cantilever curves. I'm prepared to say this is NOT a football stadium.

Absolutely convinced it’s Upton Park (see above)

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Absolutely convinced it’s Upton Park (see above)

I'm not. Can't believe how sad I am to be even typing this, but it has cantilevers with a single diagonal strut, the one in the photo is mostly two struts crossing over. Also there are additional tower blocks in the line of sight opposite the main stand which should be visible on the horizon.

aerial-view-of-west-ham-united-fc-upton-

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm not. Can't believe how sad I am to be even typing this, but it has cantilevers with a single diagonal strut, the one in the photo is mostly two struts crossing over. Also there are additional tower blocks in the line of sight opposite the main stand which should be visible on the horizon.

aerial-view-of-west-ham-united-fc-upton-

Fellow saddo here! I don’t think they are two struts crossing over, I think it’s a single diagonal strut with separate perpendicular struts heading towards the back of the stand! Which adds up for Upton Park. I also think the angle of the shot may preclude the additional blocks.

I think the producer gave you guys a clue (note I'm not up to speed enough on London stadia to help!) when talking about the magic of television and sending crews out for "Views and Vistas) - my guess is that the clip is a composite showing the ground in question, plus an unconnected "surround"

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fellow saddo here! I don’t think they are two struts crossing over, I think it’s a single diagonal strut with separate perpendicular struts heading towards the back of the stand! Which adds up for Upton Park. I also think the angle of the shot may preclude the additional blocks.

I'm now entering psychopathic levels of geekiness, but the tower block to the right in the photo I just posted - it is so high it would have to be in the shot, and yet it can't be the one with the shaft on the roof in the shot, as quite clearly the shaft in that shot is several storeys high (or as high as the remainder of the roof is wide) and the one by Upton Park is a single storey, height equivalent only to half the roof width around it. :noexp:

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm now entering psychopathic levels of geekiness, but the tower block to the right in the photo I just posted - it is so high it would have to be in the shot, and yet it can't be the one with the shaft on the roof in the shot, as quite clearly the shaft in that shot is several storeys high (or as high as the remainder of the roof is wide) and the one by Upton Park is a single storey, height equivalent only to half the roof width around it. :noexp:

In my mind the shot was captured from the red dot in the direction I’ve marked below, so the tower block to the right wouldn’t be in the shot! This backs up the cladding thing further up!

This is utterly tragic.

80D676C8-CE12-4D0C-B68F-D05F69D65885.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m convinced the ends of the stand match up to Upton, which suggests a composite shot as @semblar mentioned.

Was the stadium significant to the show? (I don't watch TV). I don't understand why they'd make a composite skyline shot to get them both in.

Still think the cantilevers are too high and with cross struts so can't be Upton Park. At this point I'm convinced that it is not a football stadium.

:whistle: Geeking out now. The ends of the stand bit, to me that is too soft a shape to be a structure, perhaps it is just lens flare, if you mean this bit:

5a59ba48838ec_ScreenShot2018-01-13at07_49_09.png.68c35714539352f7d496272466aad856.png

28 minutes ago, Olé said:

Was the stadium significant to the show? (I don't watch TV). I don't understand why they'd make a composite skyline shot to get them both in.

Still think the cantilevers are too high and with cross struts so can't be Upton Park. At this point I'm convinced that it is not a football stadium.

:whistle: Geeking out now. The ends of the stand bit, to me that is too soft a shape to be a structure, perhaps it is just lens flare, if you mean this bit:

5a59ba48838ec_ScreenShot2018-01-13at07_49_09.png.68c35714539352f7d496272466aad856.png

That’s it! I think it’s the end of the stand. But I’m fast coming to the conclusion I don’t know what I’m talking about.

PS - know nothing about the show, just saw the trailer.

Looking at how the direction of the diagonal struts reverse half way along, it has to be Upton Park. The picture is dark as it is taken into the sun so some obvious clue might be missing, and this doesn’t mean it is taken in a westerly direction. Those tower block could easily have been added post production simply to create an unknown skyline 

Archived