IGNORED

New Training Ground

JasonM88

As a member of said golf club I personally have never had an issues with stray footballs, flooding or any of the other issues raised. 

I think it is a fantastic move if the application goes through. Yes it'll affect the golf club but I think it would benefit both clubs. City to head to Category One status and the golf club could probably end up with some new members as well. 

7 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

As a member of said golf club I personally have never had an issues with stray footballs, flooding or any of the other issues raised. 

I think it is a fantastic move if the application goes through. Yes it'll affect the golf club but I think it would benefit both clubs. City to head to Category One status and the golf club could probably end up with some new members as well. 

I presume some sort of letter has gone out within the golf club? If so any chance of posting what we sent out? 

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Quite a few objections coming in on this application from golf club members worrying about taking one on the head whilst they're on the 12th...

https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P0SKSYLP02J00

I did a summer job as an assistant to the assistant green keeper up in Scotland many years ago.  I soon learnt the safest place to avoid being hit by a golf ball was to stand in the middle of the fairway. 

47 minutes ago, hodge said:

Why do I have a horrible feeling this will go a similar way to Ashton Vale...

I suppose in this instance at least we're dealing with a club rather than a group of residents any one of which could be a problem alone. As for the risk of balls flying either way I expect the club (City) would be more than happy to erect tall netting between the fields but some then complaining that it would spoil the views.... :facepalm: As for some of their complaints that it will negatively impact their membership numbers have none of them considered that parents of a lot of City academy players could be golfers and a club being right next to where their kids train and play could see their membership actually rise as a result....

What about the danger of a player valued at many millions of pounds being hit by a flyshot from a rank amateur golfer on the 12th? 

If the golf club have sent a letter out I’d suggest adding something on there twitter page about their apparent lack of support for a fellow Bristol sport institution, truly disgusting if true?

Im quite sure they wouldn’t welcome the bad publicity and the resulting lack of bcfc fan golfers no longer playing their course!!

Well, I've been hit by lots of footballs and a couple of golf balls.  One golf ball knocked me out, but a football has never hurt me.

Sounds like an exciting and progressive development to me.  That is the way forward in the 21st century.

Money is best spent on development and the future if we are to become a real force to be reckoned with. 

Right approach for me.

On 13/01/2018 at 12:51, JasonM88 said:

Another good picture EF2EEBFD-08B2-464D-A0CA-36F4CCD9C7FF.thumb.jpeg.79ba2bcfa03de03eaf8dbb085f64b0f4.jpeg

An extraordinary design that is distinctly Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe. It resembles his Farnsworth House project and even, coincidentally or even ironically perhaps, his Krefeld Golf Club..

farnsworth-house-eric-allix-rogers-04.thumb.jpg.43e3bfb9dac2bffd5fba97a9228a6d75.jpg

adcefd9618987.560d6fd2b7545.jpg.4e3dbd7ef10dee94b470a3aec7decfdc.jpg

The cost of building that structure for BCFC would be costly but also magnificent. Golfers complaining should stop, listen and learn and then they will appreciate what this building will bring. 

You really have to salute Steve Lansdown and his team for great vision and this mimmicks, in a way, the same mid century look of part of the Ashton Vale deaign. 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:14, JasonM88 said:

With the plans now being published on North Somerset councils planning website, I found this photo extremely insteresting, it would suggest we would still maintain use of the current pitches, making the plans much more reasonable 7336DB78-0A02-453A-9523-2B6B9975B3CC.thumb.jpeg.00652b9a4780dcc767c23248bc17cf96.jpeg

Flipping heck, I didn't realise modern footballers had a pitch each for training on... spoilt sods!

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Quite a few objections coming in on this application from golf club members worrying about taking one on the head whilst they're on the 12th...

https://planning.n-somerset.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=P0SKSYLP02J00

"To play golf is to spoil an otherwise enjoyable walk"...........

Clearly something’s been said at the golf club for that many objections. I think we might all need to add our support?

Has anyone asked Chris Woods thoughts given it’s the golf club he started at..?

8 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

I presume some sort of letter has gone out within the golf club? If so any chance of posting what we sent out? 

That's what I was thinking, the number and similarity of responses is obviously coordinated. There is no way so many people were experts on drainage and recognised the height difference of the planned football pitches simply from the plans. If it is coordinated, which I'm sure it is, I do like the efforts though, it's like you've got the full range of prejudices (and ability to type coherently) that you might expect from soliciting contributions from a range of the older and more well off in Bristol:

Peace and quiet, tradition, football fans, eyesore, drainage, football fans, bad language, traffic, flying balls, football fans, tranquility, road accidents, green belt, football fans.. (etc)

No prizes for spotting what their problem with it is. Personal favourite is the over-reaction that was: "However you do not build sports stadia next to a railway line and then expect the trains to be moved". Because of course we're building a sports stadium and of course a golf course is as complex, heavily entrenched (well, nailed down), vital piece of infrastructure. FFS the golf course probably moves the pin, tee, rough around every few years by a swift choice of lawn mowing and hole-marking.

1 minute ago, hinsleburg said:

I think there’s already one at the WISE campus in Filton/Stoke Gifford which we use quite a lot for the academy and women’s team? Potentially there?

I think we would need ownership/near unlimited access so not sure sharing with SGS would work. I'm sure the details are in the documents but there's too many to be fishing through right now.

11 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Bad language from footballers'? They've obviously never been in earshot when I smash one out of bounds then! :grr: :evil: :grr:

At a driving range I sliced one that hit a pole to the side of my compartment, flew behind me and left a dent in the wall about 2 inches to the side of where someones forehead had been just seconds earlier.

A few 'blue words' were uttered then, though mostly in relief!

Archived