IGNORED

New Training Ground

JasonM88

42 minutes ago, MC26 said:

'do not feel the golf club should change as has been there for
125 years of this year.'

Such a Bristol comment.

The main problem with this city is this imo. Unwillingness to change, total lack of ambition from any sort of "higher up", general apathy for enterprise. Depressing as ****.

14 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Thanks to all who have posted pictures and diagrams for the training ground. I see this investment as one of the most important factors in making me believe that the club is finally being run at the level needed to be an established premier club. It seemed for years that SL put his money in but never had the people to rely on to invest it in the right way for long term success. It is unreal how so many pieces of the jigsaw are coming today after years of stories of ineptitude from ex-players and even ex-managers. Steve Coppell told my barber in London that it was a shamble behind the scenes for instance. Congratulations to all involved. Was the five pillars the beginning?

Absolutely the five pillars finally bearing fruit.  SoD said when tasked with implementing it that it would be a long process that he would likely not see come to fruition during his tenure, but was the right way to go.  This club is finally getting all the right pieces of the jigsaw in place.

4 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Just notice their seems to be some kind of lecture theatre. The Lee Johnson way appears to really challenge the squad to take onboard a lot of analysis and critical thinking. Sounds very German. Football is played as much in the head, as with the feet?

I think classroom space is again crucial for Category 1 academy status, so I would assume this is as much to do with this as Lee's influence.

The direction this club is going in leaves me thinking this is such an exciting time to follow our club.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

The main problem with this city is this imo. Unwillingness to change, total lack of ambition from any sort of "higher up", general apathy for enterprise. Depressing as ****.

Agreed. It's absolutely ridiculous. Any sign of the city moving forward is jumped on by those who are all too comfortable with the way things are. Most of which fail to see, or even acknowledge that their could be, a greater picture. So long as they are happy, nothing else matters.

In this situation there has quite clearly been some sort of communication at the golf club as almost every objection is identical. 

I'm all for people having their own opinions on such matters but the majority of these aren't their own opinions, a few people have told them what to say and 90% of the objections are recycled crap as a result.

This frustrates me more than it probably should...

Surely there are at least a handful of people who - like Mr Woods - are both City fans and members of the golf club.  If they are reading this then perhaps they could go on to the planning site and leave a positive comment. 

Or could some of the Bristol residents already on here do that?

Or we could have a whip round, sign a few of us up as members, and win from within.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Absolutely the five pillars finally bearing fruit.  SoD said when tasked with implementing it that it would be a long process that he would likely not see come to fruition during his tenure, but was the right way to go.  This club is finally getting all the right pieces of the jigsaw in place.

I think classroom space is again crucial for Category 1 academy status, so I would assume this is as much to do with this as Lee's influence.

The direction this club is going in leaves me thinking this is such an exciting time to follow our club.

Despite nearly 30 years of me pouring cold water on the Sleeping Giant/City too big to not have a top flight Club it seems times are changing. There's been a few false dawns but this time feels VERY different

SL finally appointing a Man in Mark Ashton who conducts things like a world class orchestra.

The Head Coach and his staff (Who I implored be fired last year) who have our young squad playing top class Championship football like I've rarely seen, Our Spiritual home revamped and modernised to pay it's way. The training ground, plans for Ashton Vale and The Arena

It very much strikes me (understandably) that becoming a Billionaire took SL a few years to get his head around but now he has it's ALL about 'The Legacy' and leaving a huge dent on sport in the West Country. 

The result is that BCFC seem to be spearheading his revolution and the future looks very bright

COYR

4 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

Despite nearly 30 years of me pouring cold water on the Sleeping Giant/City too big to not have a top flight Club it seems times are changing. There's been a few false dawns but this time feels VERY different

SL finally appointing a Man in Mark Ashton who conducts things like a world class orchestra.

The Head Coach and his staff (Who I implored be fired last year) who have us playing top class Championship football like I've rarely seen, Our Spiritual home revamped and modernised to pay it's way. The training ground, plans for Ashton Vale and The Arena

It strikes me (understandably) that becoming a Billionaire took SL a few years to get his head around but now he has it's ALL about 'The Legacy' and leaving a huge dent on sport in the West Country. 

The result is that BCFC seem to be spearheading his revolution and the future looks very bright

COYR

Have their actually been many other men to leave such a colossal mark on the landscape of West Country sports already? He's only 65, he's got a long time left in him, but there can't be many who've had such an impact? The Dolman family?

I'm sure the elderly, Kia washing, dog walking members of OTIB will be more than happy to educate me.

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Have their actually been many other men to leave such a colossal mark on the landscape of West Country sports already? He's only 65, he's got a long time left in him, but there can't be many who've had such an impact? The Dolman family?

I'm sure the elderly, Kia washing, dog walking members of OTIB will be more than happy to educate me.

No I thinks he's completely  unique in the Modern era 

According to their website they have 80 ladies members and 150 seniors so even without regular male adult members they bring in £264,000 a year in membership! I imagine they probably have a good amount of adult and junior members so you're potentially looking at £500,000 a year in membership fees and they're complaining about how there may be some drainage issues for a part of their course? Surely with that amount of money every year it wouldn't take much to fix. 

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

According to their website they have 80 ladies members and 150 seniors so even without regular male adult members they bring in £264,000 a year in membership! I imagine they probably have a good amount of adult and junior members so you're potentially looking at £500,000 a year in membership fees and they're complaining about how there may be some drainage issues for a part of their course? Surely with that amount of money every year it wouldn't take much to fix. 

One of the comments says 600 members.

"BCFC and its influential owners seem to wish to destroy the amenity enjoyed by 600 local residents who are also members of Long Ashton Golf Club."

Jus to re-word this ludicrous statement: "Long Ashton Golf Club and its influential members seem to wish to destroy the amenity enjoyed by many young, ambitious, footballers and at most 500 local residents who are also fans of BCFC"

17 hours ago, hodge said:

One thought, do any of the City players play golf in their spare time? Be interesting if they use Long Ashton's club.

LA golf club members include Chris Wood, Geoff 20p, Flint (God). Marlon and Gary ( I'm recovering from a dodgy knee so I really shouldn't play to much golf ) could possibly be members. Tubby Tomlin used to make up the four ball when they played at my club on a regular basis. 

Haven’t read all the comments, not sure if this one has been quoted but someone just showed me this

“Worse, a misplaced football could cause serious injury to an older member of LAGC (of which there are hundreds) - does BCFC really want it's name in the Obituary columns?”

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Haven’t read all the comments, not sure if this one has been quoted but someone just showed me this

“Worse, a misplaced football could cause serious injury to an older member of LAGC (of which there are hundreds) - does BCFC really want it's name in the Obituary columns?”

:facepalm:

What a find so astonishing about that comment is that they fail to acknowledge that those poor vulnerable older members are on an area of land where errant golf balls are regularly flying around.

What is more probable on that golf course?

Being hit by a golf ball on 18 holes or being hit by a football on the 1 or 2 holes that runs adjacent to the pitches?

Even if you were hit by either one, i’d wager more people are killed per year being hit by golf balls than by footballs, anywhere.

7 hours ago, Alessandro said:

What a find so astonishing about that comment is that they fail to acknowledge that those poor vulnerable older members are on an area of land where errant golf balls are regularly flying around.

What is more probable on that golf course?

Being hit by a golf ball on 18 holes or being hit by a football on the 1 or 2 holes that runs adjacent to the pitches?

Even if you were hit by either one, i’d wager more people are killed per year being hit by golf balls than by footballs, anywhere.

Exactly what we said. A footballer must have a hell of a shot on him to hit it with force a hundred yards or more, over a hedge or something and do damage to someone. A golfer would regularly hit a much harder ball with more force over a greater distance. In short I would rather get hit by a football than a golf ball. Very weak argument from them, I can’t work out if they are playing the health and safety card or the emotional one! :blink:

Bristol was once described to me as a City of very conservative (not in the political sense) people.

Over the years I have seen many examples that support that theory. In 1970 my dad took me to see the diorama at the council offices, of their plans for the Docks area. It's only taken them just under 50 years to bring those to life, that's pretty quick for Bristol. 

Every attempt to relocate the football clubs to more suitable areas have had objections put in their way, now there are penalties and complaints because we have remained at Ashton Gate and have the temerity to become quite successful in attracting fans.

What happens when these complaints are listened to is that either things don't get started or, in the case of the ring road or the Metrobus, we end up with a half assed attempt to put something in place without annoying too many people. Those then become something else for people to moan about.

Bristolians seem to have a disproportionate need to drag down anyone or anything that dares to get successful, look at those objections there and how many of them are objecting to football or the football club in general, very few of them have any relevance to the development. 

I love my City and there are many things I think should be protected and maintained, but there are many things I think need modernising too. One day maybe more Bristolians will realise that too.

There's now around 100 extra objections to this since I last looked. 151 Object, 1 Support, 1 Neutral. Most of the objections still seem to be using the same template: '125 years' 'stray footballs' '12th hole' 'drainage issues' 'noisy footballers' 'BCFC bad handling'.

One new comment I see mentions the preservation of a dark sky because of the nearby Astronomical Society. Interesting.

6 minutes ago, MC26 said:

There's now around 100 extra objections to this since I last looked. 151 Object, 1 Support, 1 Neutral. Most of the objections still seem to be using the same template: '125 years' 'stray footballs' '12th hole' 'drainage issues' 'noisy footballers' 'BCFC bad handling'.

One new comment I see mentions the preservation of a dark sky because of the nearby Astronomical Society. Interesting.

Any detail on that?  The dark sky point is a interesting, but how much evening use will the outdoor facilities get in the winter? 

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Any detail on that?  The dark sky point is a interesting, but how much evening use will the outdoor facilities get in the winter? 

There are quite a few mentions of bad handling but the objection below stood out most. It also includes a line about BCFC players language:   

'The last time we were involved with Bristol City Football Club we had to amend our 13th Hole at a cost and considerable disruption to our club and members. On this occasion Bristol City Football Club have been in discussion with our Chairman and Committee and listened to our comments but completely ignored them in their Planning Application.
We discussed with Bristol City FC the provision of a "Buffer zone" between their pitches and our 12th hole but they have included one on OUR land. This will mean us having to alter our 12th hole again at whose cost? and considerable disruption again to the club and membership.
Bristol City Football players are noisy and use a considerable number of expletives. We currently experience this when we stand on our 14th Tee.
I have also noted that BCFC intend raising the levels of the adjacent field which will alter the water table on the golf course unless adequate drainage facilities are provided.'

3 minutes ago, MC26 said:

There are quite a few mentions of bad handling but the objection below stood out most. It also includes a line about BCFC players language:   

'The last time we were involved with Bristol City Football Club we had to amend our 13th Hole at a cost and considerable disruption to our club and members. On this occasion Bristol City Football Club have been in discussion with our Chairman and Committee and listened to our comments but completely ignored them in their Planning Application.
We discussed with Bristol City FC the provision of a "Buffer zone" between their pitches and our 12th hole but they have included one on OUR land. This will mean us having to alter our 12th hole again at whose cost? and considerable disruption again to the club and membership.
Bristol City Football players are noisy and use a considerable number of expletives. We currently experience this when we stand on our 14th Tee.
I have also noted that BCFC intend raising the levels of the adjacent field which will alter the water table on the golf course unless adequate drainage facilities are provided.'

Apart from the comments about the bad language (do these people live in the real world), those do sound like quite reasonable objections. I would think some modification of the plans might be requested at the first hearing. 

What a load NIMBY crap.  The observatory is far, far away from the new development.  Did they complain when BGS recently put up a new floodlit 4G pitch opposite? Did they f**k

Capture.PNG

Archived