IGNORED

I said we need PROVEN if we want this

tinman85

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Looks a tidy player but never a No 10 

thought his inclusion and a five man flattish midfield was baffling tbh and confused us 

Could  have understood if he’d rested Korey or Pack and played him but all three together seemed to stifle us

Korey was the only one who made a run beyond the ball which is normally one of our big plusses

Bobby was isolated against 3 centre halves yet we  didn’t create from overloading the middle of the pitch 

I would have got Flint forward as soon as we conceded

All in all -a Strange one

And very frustrating

So Walsh is never a #10 but Flint is closer to being one. Nice.

3 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

2008. Nick Carle / Liam Walsh

Expect I'll get told off by some but my opinion. We need to splash the cash because we don't score goals 

Okay I don't really agree but its easy to say we should splash the cash but on who and how much are you talking about?

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

We’re just sticking true to our mantra of developing youngsters. SL talks about sustainability. Splashing loads doesn’t follow that model and if we spend 20m and don’t get promoted we’ll probably just end up with Damion Stewart on our hands again. 

I agree with the approach. But I also understand the concern that this is a golden opportunity and that we might live to regret not spending a sizeable amount of money to get us over the line.

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree with the approach. But I also understand the concern that this is a golden opportunity and that we might live to regret not spending a sizeable amount of money to get us over the line.

Sheffield Wednesday paid 12 million for Jordan Rhodes but that's not getting them even near to the line. Money isn't everything

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hate posts like this. Offer something constructive, or don’t say anything at all. It’s a legitimate concern.

Fair enough, but the lad hasn't even played 90 minutes of football in total yet, and apparently he's already not good enough?

Far, far too soon to have any sort of opinion.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Walsh probably best player on pitch by the time he went off

Yeah, I thought he really grew into the game. Some on here suggesting to get him off after 30 mins! 

I don't think it was a great idea to play him in the hole instead of Pato though. He seems like a very central midfielder to me. 

I think he will rapidly improve over the coming months though just have to show a little patience with him. 

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Yeah, I thought he really grew into the game. Some on here suggesting to get him off after 30 mins! 

I don't think it was a great idea to play him in the hole instead of Pato though. He seems like a very central midfielder to me. 

I think he will rapidly improve over the coming months though just have to show a little patience with him. 

Can’t disagree with any of that. I said to my misses that it may have been a bit too early to start Walsh at about 30 min though. Glad he stayed on but wasted Pato on wing. 

Kent you could tell just joined up. Goal was his fault imo. His man was the wingback and it threw off the shape. Also thought he was a bit selfish. Could have made a simple pass but tried to beat a man. 

7 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

2008. Nick Carle / Liam Walsh

Expect I'll get told off by some but my opinion. We need to splash the cash because we don't score goals 

Walsh was quality today. We needed another midfielder and based on what  ive seen so far has slotted in seemlessly. Dont quite get why your putting the correlation of scoring goals with walsh? Hes never been a goalscoring midfielder. 

We do need to buy a striker as well because as well as bobby’s played were missing that focal point up top

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

"OTIB in 'Writing player off after one game' shocker"

Again.

Agree it's a shocker.

They are usually written off before they've even played a game!

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Can’t disagree with any of that. I said to my misses that it may have been a bit too early to start Walsh at about 30 min though. Glad he stayed on but wasted Pato on wing. 

Kent you could tell just joined up. Goal was his fault imo. His man was the wingback and it threw off the shape. Also thought he was a bit selfish. Could have made a simple pass but tried to beat a man. 

I agree he wasn't looking brilliant at that point but it was his first proper start with a team he's only been getting to know for one week. Had to give him a little chance to settle in. 

Kent looked very rusty. Bit annoying to bring him on so soon I think, particularly ahead of our own players we've actually invested money into and are wanting to develop i.e. Eliasson. LJ would've probably got pelters if he hadn't brought him on and we still lost though! 

I can see why LJ went with Walsh in at no.10 today. With five across the back you could argue it made more sense to have Pato, the better player in possession, in a more wide position stretching things.

I think Liam did well. Some very skilful touches. Yes some of his tricks went wrong, one almost cost us, and yes at times his eagerness meant positionally he wasn't always in the best place and crowded things. Yes he was outmuscled a few times.

But he fitted right into our game style and ethos - always made himself an option - was all over the pitch - huge effort and got stuck in in the challenge.

I don't think LW was the problem today. A general lack of final third quality and physical presence up top cost us. Plus a sucker punch of a goal that looked like a defensive mess, like a player the marker only arrived yesterday and wasn't up to speed on how the team defend. Oh wait, he did arrive yesterday.

Archived